Chairs thread

Here are some of my favorite chairs;

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    You have a very modern taste. My favorite chair of all time came up when researching cane back chairs, and this was listed as a "Thonet rocking chaise." No chair thread would be complete without this amazing bentwood rocking recliner. I took that to mean Michael Thonet. When I get to Heaven I intend to look him up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    That is for certain, and I've been sticking to wooden chairs since this is WW forum, but there is a ton of metal stuff I enjoy also.

Love the Thonet rocker, and that's the first of the rocking chaise that I've seen, it's awesome.

The only chair I have ever been interested in, well this and Jefferson's campeche chair.

banister chair.jpg
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 08-14-2014 at 4:05 PM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    I plan to build a replica of that rocker one day, but I just got the plans for a Mora clock into which I will place Clayton Boyer's "Simplicity" wood clock, and that will keep me busy for a while (along with teaching a kayak building class on Saturdays at the moment.) I don't have access to proper woods for a bentwood, so I have some searching to do.

By the way, I LOVE the chair that converts to a clothes tree. I have a perfect place for one of those and I just might have enough mahogany lying around to make one, or it might be a good project for the remainder of a douglass fir sailboat mast that I salvaged. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

My nephews would DESTROY that!
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Those Mc Intosh things make the Puritan church pews seem like Barcaloungers!

Blog Entries
    That would be impressive on both counts. That is a whole lotta bent beechwood!

The valet chair is by Hans Wegner.

Blog Entries
    Hah! I'm amazed that it is meant to survive out doors.

Blog Entries
    First off, this was edited using my finger as a stylus on the iPad, so it is crude, but I have already been asked by my sister-in-law to build the valet chair. I decided it needs four legs and another piece in back that goes around the center piece so you can hang the pants on the back. Looks like I will be building two- one for her and one for me. I hate making two because it's twice as hard as one.

hmmmm. I dunno. Maybe the three-legged version is better. I do prefer a rear pants hanger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It's likely three legs for good reason, so I would keep that in mind. Also worth noting that Hans Wegner built actual prototypes, by hand, of most of the chairs he designed.

He must have really enjoyed using a spoke shave.

My mom has a whole dining set in teak very similar to the first chair you show; bought from a store called "Scan" (as in Scandinavia) in about 1971 - back when dad couldn't decide whether to wear his ascot or a turtleneck dickie with his blazer...after growing up with all the trendy 60's-70's "moderne", my tastes run more towards Zach's, unless I could get some of the milk bar furniture from Clockwork Orange (but I assume that's fiberglass, not wood). I don't dare post an image...