Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chairs thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    It's likely three legs for good reason, so I would keep that in mind.
    Jacket would be open and possible getting wrinkled with four legs. Clever design.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Many thanks for posting these, Brian. I like many of those chairs.

The other Wegner design I have been tempted by is the folding chair ...

In the near future I plan to build a few Windsor chairs. What interests me is to create contemporary versions. Jake Darvall (here in Oz) is doing so already ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Boggs got my purchase of approval.

Better to buy from current makers, before the collectors do.

Attachment 294883

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Brian Boggs got my purchase of approval.

Better to buy from current makers, before the collectors do.

Attachment 294883
    I wish I could afford to do so - I love Brian's work.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Many thanks for posting these, Brian. I like many of those chairs.

The other Wegner design I have been tempted by is the folding chair ...

In the near future I plan to build a few Windsor chairs. What interests me is to create contemporary versions. Jake Darvall (here in Oz) is doing so already ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I really enjoy that chair as well and the chaise lounge version of it. Wegners stuff continues to keep me intrigued, it's very detailed and always refined.

Jake Darvall's chairs are nice, they seem like a mix of organic modernism and the windsor style.

I've had the most difficult time attempting to find a footing for designing a chair, I'm pouring over historic chairs in attempt to find something that calls out to me. In tables, casework and architectural details I've been able to define my own personal style, but not yet in chairs.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-15-2014 at 5:12 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Derek, check out joe grahams work as well. Lennox workshops. I too am a big fan of modern takes on windsors.

Brian and all,

Really nice thread. Lots of great images have piqued my interest. Thanks!

Like some of you, I'm interested in modernist takes on the Windsor. I'm currently trying to build 4 of them, though I may be dead before I finish!

Here are some of my sources of inspiration, from Galbert, Nakashima, and Buchanan:

169tw_serprodlg.jpg

birdcage-windsor-chair.jpg

832789_l.jpg

db4d11613528af62dfe0566026a87645.jpg

Blog Entries
    Would love to see your progress!

To continue the windsor chair, here is Hans Wegner's peacock chair, which is his take on the windsor;

In addition to the wishbone chair, he did the 'China' chair which has an even more direct influence by han dynasty chairs;

Continuing on the Windsor chairs;

Paul McCobb

Fritz Hennigsen

Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-16-2014 at 11:28 AM.

As mentioned before, Peter Galbert, in addition to making fine traditional Windsors, has expanded on the traditional Windsor design with very eye pleasing designs. Another thought on building chairs. Most furniture must be built with just three things in mind, utility, strength and good design. The chair maker has to add one additional atribute........comfort.

Nice thread, keep them coming. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    I wanted to build this chair when my daughter was born:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZfvHSIW3G0

but instead I built a cradle boat. Here is a pic of her in the rocker that my grandfather built around 1920 and behind it the cradle I built for her (and a surfboard I built for the wife). The rocker my grandfather built is probably my favorite chair just due to the history of it. Anyway, the rocker in the link above is a masterpiece, as is the original by Maloof, of course! I was actually searching for the Maloof when I found that video. Just thought I would share it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    These Bentwood chairs stood up to much abuse as we were children. I only wish I had known then what a treasure they were.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a great thread. I have recently become very interested in chairs and am currently making a Brian Boggs inspired greenwood chair out of a fallen Red Oak outside my workplace. Splitting the pieces is about as far as I've got but have had to pause to build up a quick shave horse. I also agree that Peter Galbert has been a huge inspiration especially his more modern take on chair design. His rockers are some the most aesthetically appealing chairs I've seen. I have had the chance to sit in one and it truly is the most comfortable solid wood chairs I've had the pleasure to sit in.

kelly-mehler-brian-boggs-class-finished-chair-2-610x457.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I wanted to build this chair when my daughter was born:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZfvHSIW3G0

but instead I built a cradle boat. Here is a pic of her in the rocker that my grandfather built around 1920 and behind it the cradle I built for her (and a surfboard I built for the wife). The rocker my grandfather built is probably my favorite chair just due to the history of it. Anyway, the rocker in the link above is a masterpiece, as is the original by Maloof, of course! I was actually searching for the Maloof when I found that video. Just thought I would share it.
    Very cool! I have one on the way and my wife has taken to maloof's adage of 'babies don't wait!'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    This is a great thread. I have recently become very interested in chairs and am currently making a Brian Boggs inspired greenwood chair out of a fallen Red Oak outside my workplace. Splitting the pieces is about as far as I've got but have had to pause to build up a quick shave horse. I also agree that Peter Galbert has been a huge inspiration especially his more modern take on chair design. His rockers are some the most aesthetically appealing chairs I've seen. I have had the chance to sit in one and it truly is the most comfortable solid wood chairs I've had the pleasure to sit in.

kelly-mehler-brian-boggs-class-finished-chair-2-610x457.jpg
    I like that ladder back chair, in fact the ladder back style in general has been growing on me as of late. I like bogg's work in general, he has an original take on classic designs.

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Congratulations, Brian! If this is your first, let me warn you- don't plan any projects for the first year! I am loving every second of fatherhood.

Blog Entries
    Lol! Thank you! This one is my first, I'm excited and already wondering how soon before they can apprentice.

I am certainly doomed as I have quite a few projects in the design stages, itching to move forward.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-18-2014 at 10:28 PM.