Thread: Plane Boards Longer Than My Bench?

Plane Boards Longer Than My Bench?

I have some maple that I need to face plane that is longer than my bench by about 2 feet. What is the best way to plane this? Thanks.
    Josh

What's the application? If this is a table top, then I suspect you can plane it in sections and it will look flat to anyone's eye.

Start with a shorter plane and a straight edge, and work it sectionally. Edges obviously won't be a problem, only the faces.

I would get it reasonably close to flat and out of wind with a straight edge and a short plane, and then joint plane it or try plane it as little as is necessary (so it stays out of wind) and then you can decide what you're going to do to smooth it or scrape it once it's in place. A foot hanging over the end of the bench shouldn't be a problem. You can holdfast it at the already-done end to make sure that it doesn't bow on the bench.

IIRC, PS uses a #4 or 4 1/2 to flatten sectionally, starting at the far end and working back to the near end. He uses a clamp and moves the workpiece as needed to keep it on the bench.

You'll need reliable "winding sticks" and straight edges.

I use cheapo 18" levels from Harry Epstein for this purpose.

I try to prop up longer boards with a straight upright board, or shop stool
    where it overlaps the bench. Clamping the board onto the bench where possible
    helps reduce bending, too.

This is a tedious process, but if you are careful with backlighting and marking high spots - you'll manage.

Once again . . .
    it is the planing beam to the rescue.
    This sucker used to be 15 ft long now the long half is 8ft.
    Note in the first photo I have made a finger splice between the two halves (not connected / this is one half of the splice).
    I connect the two with heavy wall pipe that slides through the holes plus big all thread, washers and nuts through that. Nice and snug.
    A little time with the 48" straight edge or a chalk line like thing and viola ! A long flat planing / work surface that is highly portable yet nearly four inches thick solid wood.

Can put on top of the Klausz or in my two matching Workmate benches or even in the corner in the traditional Japanese planing beam style for use.

I can put the two halves side by side to support wider work split bench style.

Aaaaaaahhhhh

another crisis averted by the Wintster.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    A similar problem is coming up for me.

There is a long 4X8 in my shop. My plane is to turn that into a planing beam attached to the top of my bench.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)