Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool RO150 really a "one sander fits all" machine??

Quote Originally Posted by David Kuzdrall View Post
    Thx for all the replies. Now to maybe through a wrench in the machine....where would we rank the mirka Creos 150/3 & 150/5 amongst the festool sanders mentioned?

thx again!
    Don't own one (yet) but here is one link about them - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...a-Ceros-Sander

More links just search the Creek.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Yes, I've had mine for years and it does a beautiful job -- both coarse and fine applications -- but only if you connect it to a vac with variable suction control like a Festool or Fein.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kuzdrall View Post
    I figured that I would start a new thread with regard to the Festool RO150 that has been mentioned a few times in my other post regarding belt sanders..

The Festool RO150 was recommended as an alternative to the belt sander and perhaps even a "one sander fits all". While I have no doubt that it will do very well in rough and coarse applications will it sufficiently be able to tone it down and provide a finish ready surface? Given its price, if it can do this then it might make sense but otherwise I can't see it being worth it for my needs.

THX

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My 150/3 is my go-to sander 98% of the time...it does a great job, has excellent dust extraction and most importantly...my hand(s) don't get numb using it, even after long periods of time on a large project. I don't find the size inconvenient in any way for the work I do. For those times when I do need "extra-extra" power, I do happen to own a Rotex 150, but I rarely feel the need for it.
    +10000.

I own both, and have often thought of selling the RO150. It's a beast, and very well made - don't get me wrong, but 99.99% of the time I use my 150/3, and it works great. Dust extraction is excellent, as Jim said, and it's just so much more manageable. I'm sure it takes longer, but the finished surface is great.

I've never used a Mirka, except in demos, but short of that, I love the 150/3.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have both as well and tend to use the RO most of the time. It really is a versatile machine as I make a lot of end grain cutting boards from very hard wood and need the power to get the scratches out initially in rotex mode and then work my way up to 320 which puts a glass like surface on them. I suppose I would use the 150/3 more if I thought about it but for my application, the Rotex does a great job! It is interesting that after 5 years, the motor still gets pretty warm when I have been using it for awhile. I thought that was supposed to away after a few hours of break in.

Walnut Table.jpg

Personally completed with the rotex 150 from 100 grit rough sanding to 2000 grit+ wet sanding/rub out of the cured finish.