Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shapton 8000k stone questions

You guys are hilarious haha. Thanks for your help! I think Ill grab a 2k stone after double checking the microns out and see where that takes me. I live within driving range of the shop Winton linked to so I might drive down there Monday and grab some goodies

2k is something like 7 and the 1000 is almost 15

David,
    Thanks for reminding me why I went 1200 then 2000 early on.
    I had forgotten it was that wide a gap. looks kind of questionable to those who have not looked at the facts up close.

I think winton is sword polishing or something with that regime.
    Only in MY MIND David . . . only in MY MIND.
    To all others I am just wasting time.
    The imagination is a wonderful thing when properly wielded.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-16-2014 at 8:49 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I have learned so much about sharpening from you david. You are a wealth of knowledge. Thx again.

Yes, thanks for all the help guys. I ordered a 2k stone since I got free shipping. Looking forward to trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have learned so much about sharpening from you david. You are a wealth of knowledge. Thx again.
    Either that or a tremendous money waster! (when it comes to sharpening stones, I'm definitely a tremendous money waster).

Mike,
    Do post a photo or two when you try out the 2k.
    I would be fascinated to see if it gives you the finish you have asked for.
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Either that or a tremendous money waster! (when it comes to sharpening stones, I'm definitely a tremendous money waster).
    Makes me recall a meeting that I recently attended...

"Hi, my name is Jim and I sharpen my tools by hand... "

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-17-2014 at 1:56 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Me too. I struggle with the same thing. I go from a 1000 to a 4000 to an 8000 and I'm getting sharp but not shiny. I tried the flattening/cleaning/removing swarf thing as recommended by David and Winton yesterday, but I was unable to get shiny.

I was always able to get shiny on my Worksharp, and I think that went from 1000 to 3600 then to 6000.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Mike,
    Do post a photo or two when you try out the 2k.
    I would be fascinated to see if it gives you the finish you have asked for.
    Will do Winton.

Prashun,

yesterday, but I was unable to get shiny.
    A side question : which 8000 ?
    But I would recommend on the final passes with the 8000 to rinse it, shake off the excess water, pull the blade in one direction the length of the stone (as opposed to going around and around in one spot, let the stone get a little dry without a build up of slurry.

Rinse, shake the water off until not a lot on top, so you don't have to spend time rubbing to get down to the stone / the back of the blade hydro planes on a lot of water (or oil).

Not a lot of rubbing, lots of rinsing, not a lot of pressure.

PS: and what blade ? Maybe she is too soft ?

PPS:
    flattening
    hmmmmm describe that please. I tend to flatten on the diamond plate or coarse stone designed for flattening if I have to but then use a stone like the 4000 to give the final tooth to the stone then rinse off really well to get the 4000 grit off.

If your flattening plate is an extremely coarse grit fixed diamond it is introducing unwanted coarseness to the initial surface and if you are using grit on a flattening plate (or sand paper) perhaps that grit is staying imbedded in your 8000.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-17-2014 at 5:40 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Thanks, Winton.

I am using a Shapton 8000, and 1000. I have a (I think) King 4000.

I use an EZ Lap diamond plate (per David!) to flatten all the stones.

Mike,
    I had a little Duh/Eureka moment this morning regarding Shiny: Wipe the blade well before moving up in grit. Formerly, I was just half-heartedly swiping the blade on a towel, assuming all the grit would get off. However, I found that if I spend extra time wiping it clean (I mean, several strokes instead of one on the towel) the blade is really a lot shinier than it seems off the stone. If that cloudiness is therefore embedded grit from the stone - and not just scratches, then leaving it on the blade probably impedes the next grit's ability to do its job.

I tried it on 2 blades, and was very happily surprised.

ps: My Worksharp never had this issue. I'm guessing that the dry sharpening does not transfer swarf as readily to the blade as wet sharpening appears to.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    It is like David said originally.
    We understand (sounded like you think he didn't understand your original post. He did understand).
    If I make slurry or allow slurry to form then I get the cloudiness. If I clean the stone with water and take the nagura over the stone like an eraser to get rid of the blackened areas where there is still metal imbedded in the stone THEN RINSE THE STONE so there is just water on it JUST AS DAVID RECOMMENDED then I get the mirror.
    Oh wait, what... re-read.... re-read.... Well that explains some things I have seen and never connected the dots on before.

I got the 2k stone in yesterday and hope to give it a shot later today. Will report back on my findings.

Wipe the blade well before moving up in grit.
    Prushun,

I am not sure if you saw my post some where (probably another thread) that said : USE LOTS OF WATER . . .
    rinse your stones under a faucet using cool water (not just a splash from a groady tub or worse yet a spritz and a wipe . . . nah Dude, nah.
    AND RINSE THE BLADES OFF
    spick and span
    And if you have to wipe it on a towel or rag the said cloth should be clean not contaminated with old grit from past grit wiping or dog drying.

It is worth glancing at how mirrors, magnifying lenses and jewelry metal are polished. Maybe a trip to the library would suffice.
    I am not saying it has to be so anal for woodworking tools but if you want the same JEWELRY like finish then you will need to emulate the polishing technique.

ONE STRAY GRIT FROM THE COARSER STONE WILL MEAN A "SCRATCH" (a noticeably prominent line). A LOT OF STRAY GRIT WILL MEAN MANY, MANY, MANY SCRATCHES. Enough of which adds up to a haze over the surface.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-19-2014 at 2:01 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

I hope this is not a derail, but with all that rinsing of swarf, are you at all concerned about stone residue collecting in your plumbing? I wonder if it all gets caught in the p-trap, which is not the hardest thing in the world to clean out.