Thread: Bit storage... neat.

Bit storage... neat.

Saw this on another site, thought it seemed like a nice way of storing them. I'm thinking it might even work better for router bits.

http://lifehacker.com/organize-all-y...r-w-1622141544

Thanks Eric. I use french cleats on my walls already. Theyre very handy. I hadnt thought of using them this way.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice, I think that will be an upcoming project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Saw this on another site, thought it seemed like a nice way of storing them. I'm thinking it might even work better for router bits.

http://lifehacker.com/organize-all-y...r-w-1622141544
    Mine would rust if I did that. I have 4 drill bit index containers (wood brad point, forstner, metal precision, household utility). I must have a lot of extra motion compared to others due to the salt environment.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Another french cleat wall guy here. This gives me some ideas.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For me the problem with these kind of things is that the minute I finish making it I'll get another bit and have to make more storage things for it. Whatever you make, leave room for adding additional bits or chisels or planes, etc.

That's kind of what I liked about this design--since it is sort of modular, it seems like it would be easy to adapt/update as you get more bits.

I tend to keep specialty bits separated, so I know what mean. I'm actually thinking this might be good for me for router bit storage rather than drill bits, frankly. Although, having some common twist drill bits handy might still be warranted...

Salt air must wreak havoc on your gear. You have to keep everything sealed up?