Thread: Thoughts on a portable heat pump to heat/cool small shop?

Thoughts on a portable heat pump to heat/cool small shop?

My current/semi permanent shop is a 16'x9' shed that I just finished insulating. I'm gonna be using it for at least 3 years, so I thought I'd add climate controls rather than watch my tools rust, wood warp, and not be able to use it during extreme whether for this time period. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn well insulated and sealed. I use my table saw outside, but I have room in there to operate everything else.

Anyway, to my original point, I'm looking to get a portable heat pump, which includes cooling, heating, and dehumidifying functions. The reason I want to go this route is because a 12,000 BTU unit, which I feel is sufficient for a 144 SQ FT area, is only $500-600 new, and I've seen them on Craigslist for $200-300. Mini split units cost much more, and using a window unit for cooling plus a heater likely wouldn't be any cheaper either. The only issues I heard was noise issues, but it's a shop full of power tools!

I feel like it's a good solution, but before I look further into one, I want to hear everyone with experiences two cents. Also, on a side note, I want to know how effective "self evaporating" dehumidifiers work, because a few units I was looking at had this

A portable heat pump should be fine, but plan on changing the air filters often, or at least blow them out with compressed air often. I have a 22,000 btu window style heat pump. mounted high and through the wall that heats and cools my 14 X 26 insulated shop, but I'm in a warmer location than you. A heat pump in climates where the temperature goes lower than 35 degrees won't be able to provide much heat on those days. I have to blow out my filters often and change them every month to keep my unit working properly. It also contains an electric heater for times when the outside air is too cold for it to operate properly.

Charley