Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powermatic jointer cutterhead options?

I just looked at that site. Dispozablade FAQ number 10 answer reccommends their higher grade "high tungsten" steel ,which is most likely T1. Ease of setting knives is a good thing but I believe ops main problem is low grade steel. T1 is readily available to fit his machine without buying a new head.

I recently installed a Byrd Shellix cutter on my Delta DJ20 jointer. A process that in my opinion was easier than changing the former straight blades. What an incredible improvement. Face jointing is now a pleasure and after many hundreds of feet I still have the fence set on the widest setting and no lines in the wood. Prior to upgrading the jointer I had purchased a 15" Powermatic planer that came with the shelix heads again an excellent tool with extended blade life. The reduction in noise from my old box lunch planer with straight blades is nearly worth the upgrade $$ alone. Pushed between one or the other I'd upgrade the jointer first. I've been raving to all my wood working friends about it since making the switch.