Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anodized Gun Parts Fading

I've engraved hard anodized aluminum for years, I've never had any of the etching change color. It can be finicky to etch if the anodizing is too light, because too much laser can burn it away to the bare metal just like normal anodizing.

The gun parts are a mystery. Could they be ceracoated? I've tool engraved ceracoated AR lowers, but I've yet to ever laser ceracoat...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I've engraved hard anodized aluminum for years, I've never had any of the etching change color.
    You sure if was true hard coat? I've hit hard coat anodized with 75W and done nothing to it. Not even a mark. True hard anodizing is VERY hard.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I engrave AA firearm components, never heard of this happening. I would be weary of the anodizing. PM sent.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

So the anodizing shops around here tell me! Or their customers who bring their parts in. I know that tool engraving the hard anodized parts I've done is noticeable harder on the carbide tools. There may be a 'harder' hard anodizing I'm not aware of, would be interesting to see some!

I do have a customer who brings me these small anodized parts, ironically enough they just dropped off a half dozen of them just 10 minutes ago which reminded me-- They're jet black, and sometimes- not always, but sometimes, if I hit them with my normal power, they turn no lighter than a dark blue you can barely see. And once that happens, there's no going back. Experimenting once with them I found that I have to hit them with very little power, like 15%, which barely shows up on normal anodizing. The light pass turns them a medium light gray, that's fine with the customer. But if I hit the same part with more power to see if it'll lighten it, instead it darkens it. It could be these are hard anodized, differently than what I'm used to? I don't know, and my customer doesn't know because THEIR customer has them made first.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

FWIW, I googled "UV sensitive anodizing"...

"...Care must be taken as these finishes are more sensitive to UV fade."

http://chicometalfinishing.com/anodize.asp
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Just a lurker here as I'm not a laser owner (yet), but I do anodize regularly (Type II, not hardcoat). Let's assume this gun was Type II anodized to a thickness of 1 mil. When you laser the part surface, I'm assuming you're only bleaching the upper portion of the anodic layer, as opposed to actually "engraving" down into the pore structure. If I'm mistaken here, my apologies.

That said, I can think of only two scenarios where a bleached surface could darken back to the original anodized color.

1. The anodic porous structure is in poor condition due to dissolution or other reasons, causing the pores to not fully close during the sealing phase. As a result, the dye is slowly leaching out, darkening the bleached areas in the process. However, when this happens, the part normally has issues accepting the dye at all, as the pores will either be too small or too large.

2. The parts weren't properly sealed, again causing the dye to leach out of the pore structure.

A part that hasn't been sealed properly, or that has a poorly formed anodic layer, will often feel fuzzy or sticky to the touch. Do you notice that with the gun?

Like Scott noted, technically what your experiencing isn't possible, but if the laser is not bleaching through the entire thickness of the anodic layer, and you're dealing with a leaching problem, I can see where something like this could happen.

Have you talked to the anodizer? I have a great relationship with one of the houses in town and we know what each other needs to do a "good" job. We swap business back and forth all the time and having the relationship helps the customer get what they need without the need to blame each other for the engraving being not up to standards. And with anodized finishes being permeable, I tell all my customer that if the engraving "fades" to wipe the engraved (marked) portion with denatured alcohol which brings up and out any oils or protectants (which are not needed on anodized parts). So far this has worked great.
    Vision VE-810 Engraver
    Epilog Mini 40 watt 24x12
    Emco Unimat 3 mill and lathe

What if there weren't any hypothetical questions?

If it is oil/dirt getting into the engraving and darkening it then the following might help :

Putting the parts in boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes (after engraving) will (at least partially*) re-seal the anodising and so deter oil etc. from getting in.

* Depends on how much damage the laser has done to the structure of the anodised layer : if only just enough power was used to burn out the dye, then the re-sealing should be quite effective.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Demaree View Post
    1. The anodic porous structure is in poor condition due to dissolution or other reasons, causing the pores to not fully close during the sealing phase. As a result, the dye is slowly leaching out, darkening the bleached areas in the process. However, when this happens, the part normally has issues accepting the dye at all, as the pores will either be too small or too large.

2. The parts weren't properly sealed, again causing the dye to leach out of the pore structure.
    These have an air of reasonableness on the surface (no pun intended), but dye doesn't migrate like that... it's not in an aqueous solution once dried, so hanging out in a UV-rich environment can't be a migration factor. On top of that, even if the dye was still "wet", it would stain from the outside of the mark inward and show a very obvious migration pattern. Even poorly sealed...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Problem seems to be resolved. Talked with both my customer & other contractor that does the anodization. They have been experimenting with a new harder type of anodization. Of-course, I'm last to know. The solution seems to be more power. My early tests have shown revised settings of 600DPI/50S/100P is working, but more testing to come. Other hard anodized parts such as AR-15 Receivers are easily done at 400DPI/90S/90P, often even 300DPI/100S/75P.

As some have speculated, I was only bleaching a very micro thin upper layer. It didn't look any different, but wasn't enough. After a few days it was still visible, but not bright white anymore. This is not your smooth shiny or smooth semi-shiny anodization you see on most gun parts, but a matte almost light absorbing surface.

Thanks for all of the advice and contacts that were sent. This really is a great community.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 08-19-2014 at 7:50 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    Glad you got it sorted, Tim...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Update.... The change in the anodization process was not authorized by my customer or to their spec. My customer will today fire the company that did the anodization. This, I found out was the last straw in a long list of many issue the two were having. They found a company that can produce clean, crisp camouflage anodization. Sounds like a cool process. Can't wait to get the first ones in.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Update.... The change in the anodization process was not authorized by my customer or to their spec. My customer will today fire the company that did the anodization. This, I found out was the last straw in a long list of many issue the two were having. They found a company that can produce clean, crisp camouflage anodization. Sounds like a cool process. Can't wait to get the first ones in.
    Post picts if you can. Would love to see the camo anodication.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

I want to see too. Very time intensive, not going to be cheap...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter