Thread: Adobe .ai Files

Adobe .ai Files

Has anyone else had problems importing .ai files recently? When I import them they come in all jagged, yet when they send the same file over as an .eps it imports correctly. Just wondering if it has something to do with the whole "pay monthly for cloud access" to Illustrator. I use X5.....do I need to upgrade to X6 just so I can import these files?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve, I get many .AI files mostly as schematics and legends and was having the same problems. The fix came from Corel support having me copy the .AI file and using the special paste in the edit drop down menu. When you go to paste it , use the last option, I believe it is picture metafile or something like that, sorry I'm not in front of my cpu that has Corel on it., but there are four options, it is the last one on the list.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

Paste???? I always use the import function. Do you open the .ai file and hit "copy" and then move to CD and hit "paste"?

I know there are always different ways to do things in Corel....

When you get in front of your CPU, it would be greatly appreciated if you could provide a step by step.

Thanks Greg!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

By any chance is there a bitmap embedded in the file?
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

There often is......not sure if it's every time though.

Steve, Here is how I do it. There might be a easier way, but this works every time for me.

Note* I have the full CS Master edition of Adobe, that may have some bearing.

open the AI file.
    Enable editing
    most of the files I get have the gridlines, un-check the view box in page layout menu (otherwise it will copy the grid over)
    drag and copy whatever you need off the file
    open a new page in Corel
    select the paste special tab from the edit menu
    select picture (enhanced metafile) and it will paste an exact copy on your page.
    This is completely editable and often I can just print from this page without changing any of the line weights.

Hope this helps you.

Greg

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

I have a similar problem with the ai import - don't have Adobe/CS software . . .

I'm still having trouble importing these creative cloud .ai files........but I found a work around......I downloaded the free Illustrator program (2.0 I think) and I open the .ai files in it and then do a save as .pdf..........then I import the .pdf into Corel and everything is perfect. Pain in the butt to go through all that, but still quicker and easier than asking the customer to resend their artwork as an .eps file.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    I'm still having trouble importing these creative cloud .ai files........but I found a work around......I downloaded the free Illustrator program (2.0 I think) and I open the .ai files in it and then do a save as .pdf..........then I import the .pdf into Corel and everything is perfect. Pain in the butt to go through all that, but still quicker and easier than asking the customer to resend their artwork as an .eps file.
    Steve, I don't know how many of these you are doing, but for $19.99 a month, you can get a subscription to Illustrator. If you're spending more than 20 minutes a month on this stuff, it's probably worth getting. Then you'd stay up to date, be able to open all the files with no issues.

Just something to think about, the single application prices are quite cheap these days.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

When I have had this problem I ask the customer to export to pdf or dxf and both have worked every time for me. The PDF works better for me if there is more than one colour e.g. engrave and cut lines.
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Has anyone else had problems importing .ai files recently? When I import them they come in all jagged, yet when they send the same file over as an .eps it imports correctly. Just wondering if it has something to do with the whole "pay monthly for cloud access" to Illustrator. I use X5.....do I need to upgrade to X6 just so I can import these files?

I'm an illustrator user (know it like the back of my hand). Apparently (we ran into this just the other day) corel draw tends to not like the most current version of illustrator. We managed to get it to work by saving back the illustrator files to version CS4.

Honestly, I don't really get why people use Corel so much.

If you are having problems with the file and you need someone to save it out as a few versions, shoot me a message (or email me - jayselway (at) gmail (dot) com.
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

Yeah I was just going to say, .eps files are pretty much the way to go. I'd always ask the client to send that if possible.
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

Hate anything except dedicated CAD packages with a passion

cheers

Dave
    You did what !