Thread: Am I A Luthier?

Am I A Luthier?

Last night there was a band that played at the park adjacent to out house. Their name is ARRA. I got to thinking it would be interesting to see what they thought about one of the guitars I built. So after they were done playing, I walked up to the band with the red/black strat and asked who the lead guitarist was. A guy packing the equipment pointed to a big guy with black hair, "His name is Kevin."

He sees me approaching and we meet. I tell him about the guitar and asked him what he thought. A few minutes later their lead singer came up and asked to try it out. "I'm Ronnie." He picked up the guitar and said, "I like my guitar a bit heavier..." and I thought about the sapele guitar. Then he asks me, "Are you a luthier?"

I didn't know what to say. Am I a luthier?

Blog Entries
    Yes, you are a luthier. Building mutiple guitars that others want to play, makes it so.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

You are more of a luthier than I am at the moment!! I'm too old and tired out to keep building like I used to.

I used to tell the public,when I was running the Musical Instrument Maker's Shop: "I used to be a Methodist,but now I'm a Luthier". Later on,I became a fool for a cool tool.

But,I encourage you to develop your own style of guitars rather than copying Fenders. And,start building acoustics too.

But,by the time you succeed in building those 2 new things,I predict you will have made so many jigs,you will have NO room left to work!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-16-2014 at 9:10 AM.

The question stopped me in my tracks because I don't want to make false claims. The guy who asked me will be the new lead singer for Kansas and I figured anyone who has been in the music business long enough to make it to that level deserves as honest an answer as I can give. I only said I make guitars and you're holding one. Maybe to call myself a luthier I needed real luthiers to accept me as such. Thank you.

BTW the way, when I handed the guitar to Ronnie Platt (the guy replacing Steve Walsh in Kansas) he immediately said, "This has nice weight but I like my guitars a bit heavier." That surprised me but I wanted to go back to the house and get the sapele guitar and see what he thought about that. Dan Conner, the lead guitarist, said the action was a bit too high for him but I left it high on purpose. You can always go lower but if someone wants higher action, you have to replace or shim the nut. Overall, both were more complimentary than I expected. Dan told me to email him through their website. I did that yesterday but I'm really not expecting that to go anywhere. Just getting their opinion was good enough for me.

You should do a detailed build on tdpri.com. You will have a chance to get feedback from people who know a lot more about being a luthier than I.

You're probably a luthier...an amateur luthier, but a true luthier.

Welcome to the club!

Try some acoustics next.