Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camellia oil on oil stones

Camellia oil on oil stones

Any opinions on whether Camellia oil is too light to use on oil stones? I like it better than Norton honing oil.

If you can still chase a burr, and keep the swarf clear- what difference does the oil make? I've seen good results with cheap lamp oil, but it has a potent odor.

If it cuts steel and doesn't rust, why not?
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 08-16-2014 at 9:02 PM. Reason: I need new glasses...

I want to avoid clogging the stone.

Depending on the temperature, it's similar in viscosity to mineral oil (and i'm not convinced that some of the camelia oils aren't part mineral oil, though it's pretty easy to tell they're not the same thing when you get them below about 50 degrees and the camelia oil starts to solidify).

I see no advantage to mineral oil - both will evaporate over time on an exposed stone. I don't use norton honing oil, well, I use some that I got for free, but I generally use WD 40 or light mineral oil that can be bought by the gallon for about $15. Which of the two depends on how aggressive you want the stones to be and how fine the stone. Oil for coarser stones and WD 40 for finer where sometimes oil will suspend something off of the stone too much.

If your stone seems to be drying off and "clogging" between uses, build a case like the old time cases (out of two pieces of scrap is fine), forstner bit or mortise it out, whatever.....and the stone won't dry off and have dryish-swarf on it.

Stones used with oil never really load too much, and a couple of drops of oil is all it takes to loosen whatever is on the surface of them, but they do get dulled particles.

I have no idea if camelia oil oxidizes over time, but if it does, I wouldn't want to use it on a stone.

Noooooo , nahhhhhhh , noooooooo don't doooooo that !
    Nah
    What you want on an oil stone should boarder on being solvent . . . more like kerosene. Camellia oil is closer to oil for finishing wood and will gunk up the pores in your stones. I would say it is too "thick".

In fact unless you are honing valuable old steel blades that rust like crazy then clean the oil stones of all the gunk and then use water. Or better yet use water stones.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

My dear chap ! My dear chap . . . my dear, dear chap . . .

both will evaporate over time on an exposed stone.
    David,
    You are a brilliant and very attentive sharpener and teacher. I am thinking you got into a bad batch of peanuts or gin or some such and it is TEMPORARILY effecting your thinker . . .
    evaporate
    Surely you mean the oil will oxidize and turn to a solid like clear rubber
    as opposed to
    actually evaporating
    as in turn to a gas like state and lift off into the great blue yonder.

I have put many kinds of woodworker related oils on glass and watched them over days, weeks and months.

(not a one turned to a gas and left the glass clean as whistle)( like water or paint thinner or denatured alc would do).

are we sure "evaporated" is the best term available to us here ?

PS: I agree the recent batches of camillia is not the real deal but "cut" with mineral oils or what have you. There was a thread here a few months ago that pretty much proved that was the case.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-16-2014 at 9:42 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Volatile oils do evaporate, do turn to vapor. The evaporation of essential oils, their rate of evaporation and modifiers to this rate is a cornerstone of perfumery and the property of sillage (pr. see-yazh).
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    David,
    You are a brilliant and very attentive sharpener and teacher. I am thinking you got into a bad batch of peanuts or gin or some such and it is TEMPORARILY effecting your thinker . . .

Surely you mean the oil will oxidize and turn to a solid like clear rubber
    as opposed to
    actually evaporating
    as in turn to a gas like state and lift off into the great blue yonder.

I have put many kinds of woodworker related oils on glass and watched them over days, weeks and months.

(not a one turned to a gas and left the glass clean as whistle)( like water or paint thinner or denatured alc would do).

are we sure "evaporated" is the best term available to us here ?

PS: I agree the recent batches of camillia is not the real deal but "cut" with mineral oils or what have you. There was a thread here a few months ago that pretty much proved that was the case.
    Well, not evaporate like distilled water would, but as David is saying, reduce to some extent and disappear, leaving behind only a residue.

Dry is perhaps a better term. But with WD 40 (not an oil) and mineral oil (an oil), whatever is left behind when it dries up is not detrimental and must be getting removed by the next wet application. I've never had a stone stop cutting for any reason other than the surface gets burnished and the abrasive that's facing the top is just pooped out.

So, anyway, if you use mineral oil one day and you go to work the next with the stone left out in between, you'll find the surface dry. If you put a lid on it - one that's air tight for the most part, you will find the surface still wet.

I just used to use LOCK OIL the whole time I was in the musical instrument maker's shop. Thin to run into a door lock,evaporated to a thicker oil to stay put and lubricate. It was available in the museum warehouse. I only wanted the thinned out portion of its life. It stayed thin plenty long enough to sharpen with. The millwork shop used to keep their stones soaking in kerosene. I could have used that too. But the lock oil came in a handy can with a sealable little spout on it.

Now,I just use slightly soapy water as my sharpening stones have changed to diamond and white and black ceramic.

Hi Les, Winston is correct. The oil is somewhat similar to linseed oil. It a naturally occurring oil extracted from tea seed. (Linseed oil is extracted from flax seed.) From what I was able to find, it is composed primarily of what are called triglycerides. I don't know whether the oil is a drying oil, like linseed oil, or not, but based on it's structure, I think that it might likely be. At the very least, I think it will gum up. It can thus gum up the stone, and fill the pores like Winston has mentioned.

I can say, however, that it will not evaporate from the stones, it will instead soak in where it will probably eventually gum up. If you have used it on the stone, I would certainly try to clean it off with paint thinner or mineral spirits, but preferably paint thinner. After the paint thinner dries, I would also be tempted to try further cleaning with soapy water followed by clean hot water. If the paint thinner gets the camellia oil off the stone good, then I would skip the soapy water.

You certainly want to try to get the camellia oil off the stone.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 08-17-2014 at 12:54 AM.

Tune in NEXT TIME friends when we will find out if Camille has gone on to the . . .

next realm.
    Has David W. kept his faith in Camille ?
    Has Camille been faithful to David ?
    Was that Camille with David B. and if it was how will they tell David W.?

Now are ya sure you want to go down this road ? You know it will all end in tears.

But first a poser : What pre tell would 100 % pure camellia oil cost ?
    and
    here’s the clincher . . .
    who among us has the bank to almost daily massage their eBay oil stone with it ?
    Now really . . .
    I want to see hands . . .
    Get ‘em up . ..
    it is kind of dark in here and from starring at this computer screen I am kind of night blind right now so I need to give my eyes time to adjust but . . .

You knew I would do it. I couldn’t help it.
    I got me some glass . . . I made my connection (finish from The Tool Crib (my laundry room)) . . . I put the “stuff” out on the glass . . . I got me a straw (rolled up hunert dollar bill . . . oh wait PUT THAT AWAY we aren’t going there ! ! ! !

You remember The Cheese Cam ? It is an online 24 - 7 web cam focused on some cultured fromage . “Fans” can “tune in” when ever they like and watch the “action”.
    Wellllll
    friends and neighbors this has the potential to be EVERY BIT AS EXCITING AS EVEN THAT !

It will be just like watching paint dry but more than that
    OIL PAINT !
    and even more than that
    OIL PAINT WITH ATTITUDE
    Hey the Tung oil can get pretty FROSTY
    and the Stand oil can stand up clear and solid when it needs to be
    and even more than that
    We will be delving into the very heart and soul of oil paint !
    That Devine essence that gives the pigment staying power and resistance to the slings and arrows (well maybe not arrows . . . as such . . . but who knows with our combined faith and imagination.
    (((lots of imagination))) . . .
    anything is possible.
    Well except of course evaporating oil. Even I can’t conjure that one up in the veritable air plane hanger that is MY imagination.
    and yet ! And YET ! ?
    no ‘fraid not.

PS:it looks like the thin application is on the back side of the glass but actually I smeared it around then pressed progressively harder to thin out the middle; which will have the greatest potential to actually solidify . . . I mean . . . titter, titter, evaporate before we grow old and forget just why we have been coming here every day for years to look at these new updates of the oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-17-2014 at 1:21 AM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    next realm.
    Has David W. kept his faith in Camille ?
    Has Camille been faithful to David ?
    Was that Camille with David B. and if it was how will they tell David W.?
    Ah... Camille... yes... that coquettish grisette. Too aspiring, too expensive, too needy and demanding for moi. Yes, Camille... with that ever-pungent stamp of the woman who neglects herself.

...who among us has the bank to almost daily massage their eBay oil stone with it?
    The Japanese weren't big into olive oil so they used what they had. But I don't have the need to drench my steel or stones in anything so overly priced, and, I suspect, as diluted with other less-costly unctions.

I got me some glass . . . I made my connection (finish from The Tool Crib (my laundry room)) . . . I put the “stuff” out on the glass
    Obviously one wouldn't seek a rapidly oxidizing, polymerizing, cross-linking finishing oil—not for honing stones.

...anything is possible. Well except of course evaporating oil. Even I can’t conjure that one up in the veritable air plane hanger that is MY imagination.
    Perhaps Camille, you and likely others around you, might benefit from your delving into the world of evaporative oils, that is, the world of scent. Not saying that you'd need an entire perfume 'organ'...

Isabelle+Doyen+for+Perfumeshrine2.jpg

...but a dram or two of a grassy vetiver or something woody might be nice.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 08-17-2014 at 9:11 AM.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

This is becoming exceeding hard to follow. It doth wax too poetic,but doth it wax factual,Oh Winton?

Pray,Do not use tung oil,linseed oil,castor oil,or any other drying oil on your stones. I have not fallen prey to the siren song of Camellia oil,adulterated as it might be. This reminds me of the craze in the 70's of using very expensive lavender oil in your violin varnish. It evaporates away in the end,clearing your sinuses might have been its main benefit. Paint thinner worked quite well for my spray painted smooth,but applied by ox hair brush finishes. It lubricated the brush,and kept the varnish from dragging. It did this well. Technique was important,as always,in the final analysis.

Just use something simple like kerosene and all will be well. WD 40 will do,but wipe it off well when you are done. Left on metals by itself,it tends to leave a gummy brown film that is very hard to remove. It no doubt will do the same on your stones.

Mineral oil? I find it too thick to suit me. Too thick and the oil begins to hold your steel away from the stone,and makes your sharpening harder. It is TOO lubricating. What you want is an oil that will let your stone cut,and just carry away the particles of steel. If you desire more body,perhaps a 50-50 mixture of mineral oil and kerosene? Then,I think we approach my old lock oil.

If you really want to be thorough,order yourself some WATER SOLUBLE cutting oil from MSC. Like "Aqua Cut". It is made for lubricating tools while cutting steel,and will certainly do for sharpening on stones NOT soaked with oil. It is not thick.

If you have old,oil impregnated stones,you may be stuck with oil. I doubt you will ever get it out.Besides,oil type stones are porous,and need more than water. The India stones for example. Some oil stones come loaded with oil anyway. I have changed my stones and my habits,and just use a little slightly soapy water. A touch of WATER soluble cutting oil is beneficial,if I ever get round to ordering more. Meanwhile,a few drops of dish detergent in a cup full of water,in a museum weenie begotten squeeze bottle serve me quite well.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-17-2014 at 9:36 AM.

It occurs to me that I might be feeble brained. I don't know how fast my kitchen machine lubricant (light mineral oil) evaporates, but the Wd40 definitely evaporates fast, except when you put your stones in a box and then it doesn't.

There's another reason to have a box for oilstones, though - or a cheaply made case, whatever you want to call it - mineral oil left on the surface of a stone attracts every abrasive thing that may ever fly in your shop, and if not abrasive, just dust. It's nice to have a clean surface on a stone that has no more than oil and metal on it (and it's nice not to have the wd40 evaporate, which is what I use) and nice to not have to wipe off the surface of the stones.

It's somewhat OK these days for a stone to get gummed up down below the abrasive, because you're going to be agitating a stone (if needed) with a diamond hone, so the old situation of a stone that hopelessly stops cutting can be mitigated pretty easily. Of course, if you leave a big coat of junk right on the top, it's going to be a pain to remove.

What I use mineral oil on the most is medium india and medium crystolon - I like it for the coarser stones where the particles are long enough to get through the layer of oil, but where I also like the oil's ability to suspend the large amounts of swarf (which with crystolon includes a lot of broken out pieces of silicon carbide) and move them easily.

But it really is all preference and doesn't matter much - the only thing that matters is that we're actually sharpening.

We don't want to become like those people on the knife videos on youtube where if someone doesn't use the same exact method as someone else (none of the guys could possibly do any work as long as they spend sharpening), they insult each other and say that they're "ruining knives" and "such a knife would be unusable". It's especially funny to see those chair jockeys going to a video that shows an actual chef demonstrating what they do *in a professional kitchen* and insulting the presenter about how they couldn't possibly do work after sharpening with a fine india stone and a steel.

We interrupt normal programming for a special news update at the site of THE EVENT

OK
    We are back.
    We are at the site of The Event.

It now appears there has been a definite change . . . yes definitely a change has occurred . . .

I have not had my coffee at this point. I excitedly JUMPED out of bed this morning (before eleven o’clock I will have you know) and ran down to the shop.
    . . . now now I must be scientific and keep the FACTS absolutely accurate to eliminate from the start any chance of skewing the data to fit my predicted out come. . . the fact is . . . I stumbled groggily down the steps to the shop . . . but I might add with my duty to my fellow Saw Mill Creek members FOREMOST in my consciousness . . . what little consciousness there was to try to maintain a grip on it . . . zzzzzzz

Oh, oh . . . any way I took some photos. I want to present them here to my fellow colleagues for a consensus evaluation. I don’t trust my judgement right now. Not that I am all that biased or imbalanced by my obsessive nonevaporationist theories it is more that I have not had my coffee yet and so there is grave danger that I may on first blush misinterpret the data at hand.

Oh and by the way you may have noticed I have hired two full time lab assistants. They will maintain a twenty four hour vigil trading off in twelve hour shifts and will report any dramatic or titter, titter disappearances of the substances under observation.

I do note that the bottles of the three test subjects have disappeared. Inexplicable . . . we simply MUST run a new series of experiments to get to the bottom of that . . . no . . . wait . . . it is becoming clear to me. Ha, ha, I put the bottles away last night. No that takes care of that. Mystery solved. Well, well, I haven’t had coffee yet and we are making progress. I anticipate a good day for research in the lab. Yes, yes, better than most I should say.

The four legged assistant . . .
    . . . he said he didn't wish to participate in such foolishness and when I said I wished to photograph him taking part in the experiment then demanded double salary and full rights to the photos . . .
    His human partner, who was most gratified and excited to be taking part in these "cutting edge" investigations (well I convinced him they were cutting edge investigations) and so he eventually brought his four legged companion around to see "the light" (It was also in his contract that I was not to use his name in any of the documentation or press releases; he was most emphatic on that point). So we will refer to him as "the four legged" . . .
    anyway he has the added advantage of being able to haul in extra equipment should we have an EVENT horizon and need to move fast in some unexpected (and I might add so far to modern science undocumented ) direction.

I know the appearance of the assistants may give pause but Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer assures me that they are good boys and help her constantly in her varied and far ranging work.

PS: I have just been informed that I have failed to report the change that has occurred in the oil, specifically the camellia oil under twenty four hour scientific observation. Let me look back through my notes . . .
    . . . I have it here some where. . .
    . . . yes . . . here . . . I have it . . .
    there now seems to be some dust particles that have fallen into the maw of The Fearsome And All Powerful Camellia and have become hopelessly trapped. To rescue them would require funding beyond this institute's purse and would end this all important experiment to improve the general plight of all of man kind (fortunately woman kind is too smart to get involved in this so that is all right then).

any way the plight of the dust particles . . . they will, unfortunately, be lost but they will be remembered for all time by a plaque and a memorial to be erected on this site commemorating their sacrifice for the good of all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-17-2014 at 3:04 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.