Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Camellia oil on oil stones

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    It is great to see the play back and forth, but who cares? Use whatever works and suits you, Use whatever you have, get the whatever sharp, and use it. The project will not get any closer to being done until you work on it.

I agree. During the time this thread has run, I put my oilstones aside. Sold a half ton of my water stones. The oil stones are next. I'm using all diamonds with a diamond paste leather strop. My edges are great and my hands are clean. I'm done.

I appreciate all of he input.
    regards
    Les

While I have my strength up I thought I would update the evaporating oil thread.

I am seeing what I theorized that I would see, and have in the past observed.
    Does that mean I know a fact ?

One fact I know is the fact that the oils I expected to see cross link and solidify (the Tung oil and the Stand oil) are extremely slow in doing it. These are from the same batches of oil I originally used several years ago to do this same sort of exploration.

Back then they glazed over and began to solidify much sooner than they are here.
    I did not stir up the contents in the jars because the jars are full of big marbles to displace the air form the jar. I think I learned a lesson there; stir up the contents. These are supposed to be 100% pure but I suspect they have a hint of catalytic dryer and it has settled out.

Any body want to comment on that one ?

The Stand oil thick puddle is still wet and unglazed.

At least the Tung oil is doing something; it is wrinkling like before and is dry to the touch. It would not smear . . . it looks green because I have the light raking very low to try to get the photo and is reflecting some color from the glass . . . there is no green in the actual appearance of the tung oil . . . notice the WD-40 is still very wet and easily smeared
    (and . . . ahem . . . has failed to evaporate)

Also note the Camilla readily smeared and is so wet it ran when I picked up the sheet of glass to move it from the shelf to the bench to be photographed again.

again
    no evaporation action from the Camilla either.

PS: Gumby and Pokey say hi and are still on the job but are pretty bored at this point though there was a celebration with balloons and noise makers when the tung oil wrinkled. I was at work and missed it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 09-25-2014 at 1:54 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Another change
    the thick / small diameter pool of tung oil has now hardened over and wrinkled.

It has taken about seven weeks for this to occur.

The imitation camellia oil has not evaporated
    The WD-40 has not evaporated.

Both of the camellia oil and the WD-40 remain quite fluid and unchanged except for some dust particles that have fallen into them.

PS: part of my finding is that this camellia oil is not pure and is more resistant to thickening than previous batches from say, ten years ago. If it were pure it would have turned gummy or at least thickened by now and would have gummed up the stones.
    Apparently the camellia oil from this vender could perhaps be used on a stone. I would rather use kerosene though and avoid the potential for clogging up the stone with camellia oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 10-07-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.