Thread: Searching for an exact phrase - How?

Searching for an exact phrase - How?

I know this should be easy, but I can't figure it out.

How do I search for a phrase in forum posts. Using the Advanced Search I use the search term (for example) "corner chisel" (with the double quotes). This is common convention elsewhere when you want to search for a phrase. I get 15 pages of results that appear to be any post containing the word 'corner' or the word 'chisel'.

I've also tried operators like AND and '+' between the words with no luck.

This site is an incredible resource with the number of posts and history, but if every search brings back 15pp of results, that isn't useful.

Thanks for any help.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

2. I can relate to your frustration.. The best way I have found is to use google to search. Type this into google:

site:www.sawmillcreek.org "corner chisel"

At least for me, the standard search box in the corner just uses Google. So if I type "corner chisel" into that box and hit enter, it actually does a Google search with the phrase

"corner chisel" site:www.sawmillcreek.org

typed into the box. And that leads to results with "corner chisel" highlighted.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Yes, the standard search box (next to the magnifying glass) is a Google search, which you can use to search for phrases, etc.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

I became pretty frustrated because I'd enter pretty broad search terms in the advanced search screen and still get a "nothing found" message. Turns out if I first click the "search single content type" or "search multiple content types" tabs then enter search criteria I get results. I read about this on another vBulletin based forum so it looks like a vBulletin thing. It could also vary by browser I suppose.

Thanks all for the replies. Curt, your method works fine for single search terms, or searching for any of a number of words, but doesn't work for a phrase search, where you want several words in an exact order and together.

I'll just use Google then (via the standard search box on SMC). I am surprised the vBulletin 'advanced' search is so lame - bordering on unusable actually.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Not too many Internet forum softwares have decent search abilities. I ran a dial-up BBS for 14 years. It had better search than most forums today.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Use Google advance search. Do a basic search and get the returns then click on the segmented wheel under "sign in" on the upper right of the page. A new search page appears and you can then fill in the search terms limiting or specifying what yo want and further down the page enter the URL of SMC to limit the search to that domain. To do the initial search I just type in one letter, nothing more than that is needed.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Duperron View Post
    Thanks all for the replies. Curt, your method works fine for single search terms, or searching for any of a number of words, but doesn't work for a phrase search, where you want several words in an exact order and together.

I'll just use Google then (via the standard search box on SMC). I am surprised the vBulletin 'advanced' search is so lame - bordering on unusable actually.
    When it comes to search, there's Google and everybody else IMO. When searching for a phrase or words in a certain order, try enclosing the phrase or sequenced words in quotes. That seems to narrow things down a little.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-25-2014 at 9:05 AM.