Thread: supernova2 disassembly

supernova2 disassembly

I have a Jet 1340 metalworking lather which I have adapted for woodturning. I bought a Supernova 2 chuck with 2" jaws for it. At first use, when I tightened the jaws, the key would come to a sudden stop, not a gradual stop. So, I took it apart to looks for burrs, chips, etc. There was a burr on the channel for one of the jaws, cause by a hard impact against the chuck body, but it interfered only when the jaws would be closed to about 3/8" diameter. The instructions from Teknatool say to lube the scroll ting (is that a misprint) and the pinions generously. I did.

I didn't see any other burrs inside, but I was very surprised to see that the ting (ring?) and pinions are cast parts, not machined. As castings, they are pretty nice. Is that the $200 difference between the Nova and Vicmarc?

I also found a larger 5/16" T-handle hex wrench which enables a tighter grip on the wood, unlike the suddern stop observed earlier.

I have never taken my chucks apart, but I own both bands and there is a very noticeable difference in how smooth and chuck opens and the general build quality. Nothing wrong with the SN2 chucks, but if you have the money... the Vicmarc 120 is NICE!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

3. The plastic housing where it rides against the pinion gear.......take a dremel tool with a burr or grinding stone like used for chainsaw sharpening and deepen it just a smidgen where it rides against the pinion gear..........that should do the trick. If it is still hard to turn take a smidgen off the center hub of the plastic housing..........preferably with a belt sander. Not much, but just enough to free the friction being caused by that cast plastic housing, ..........put it back together after blowing it all out and after lubricating the parts adequately........should run smooth as silk!

While you have it apart, check for any burrs or metal filings on the scroll gear........if it has been buggered up a bit, you might have to use a small file to shape the scroll gear back to smooth.............it is likely the plastic housing rubbing against the pinion gear.......at least that was my experience with the SN2.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-16-2014 at 3:42 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If you haven't checked out all of Robbo's video clips, I consider them to be excellent. Here is one on the teknatool chuck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF3IfVkbCxE

robo hippy

The nova's #1 is very easy and the model is a bit more complicated but easy. Don't forget to regrease.

Disassembly / reassembly was surprisingly simple. Lots of grease. It clamps tight enough to hold a 6 x 6 mesquite pot which I was hollowing for practice. It's going to work alright. Just need more jaws: 3 inch and Cole jaws are next.

Even though it isnot what Nova says I have always used aerosol graphite aftercleaning. A couple of coats is all I have ever applied and anydust can be blown out with an air gun (no grease to collect dust). I also did the same to the workings of the tailstock.

Which 3"jaws are your considering? The 75mm bowl jaws use onlyabout 1/8" larger tenon than your 50mm bowl jaws (42vs 46.5 mm). If you do want a larger tenon the 70mm workgreat.

https://www.teknatool.com/products/C...0(mm)Sep06.pdf
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I love this place. I needed to overhaul/clean my SN2. I've been putting it off. Now I find this thread and the link to that video. Perfect. Job was done relatively easily.

Thanks all!
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum