Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought My First Backsaw off the Bay - Advice needed

The next step will be to sharpen the saw and there is a ton of info on the web to get you started. I traveled this path years ago and the one significant thing I remember is that I believed I had researched the sharpening adequately and practiced enough to produce a good cutting saw. Several years passed and I was satisfied with the performance of my saws until I began building a table from some heritage hickory for a relative and it became apparent that my saws were not up to the task. I purchased one back saw from a premium maker and the performance difference was significant. This gave me a benchmark to shoot for while preparing my saws and caused me to greatly improve my techniques. After this, the cherry, walnut, poplar, etc was child's play. In summary, the difficult to work hickory and the benchmark saw revolutionized my abilities.

Blog Entries
    I only have my iPhone right now so I'll keep it short, in no way do I have the money to buy a benchmark saw, I am planing to start out the sellers way. What is it that made your sharpening better? Different rake angles? Jointing?

I understand completely. I bought used and worked on my sharpening for several years before buying a good new saw. This gave me the ability to appreciate a saw that was prepared better than my saws and motivated me to improve my sharpening processes. After reflecting on your comment concerning money, I believe an approach that would be just as good would be to borrow a saw to compare to one you have prepared would be just as good. With enough effort, you can prepare a saw every bit as good as one you can buy if you know how a good saw should perform. The things you mentioned are all important; learning to alter the rake to match the work a saw will be used for such as the thickness of wood, the species of wood, etc. Adding a bit of fleam to a tenon saw that will be used for rip and crosscuts (think traveling toolbox saw) can give you a versatile saw, etc, etc. Also, I began to log how I prepared my saws; each saw had its own page detailing plate thickness, TPI, tooth configuration (rip, crosscut, or hybrid), fleam, rake, kerf, etc. As I used my saws I changed the configuration to match the way I work; an example would be two each coarse rip saws of 5.5 TPI, one with less rake for ripping softwoods and one with more rake for hard woods.

the benchmark saw revolutionized my abilities.
    I agree. If, early on, we could only experience the serious tools and preparation of those tools it would save us all grief. I definitely hear you there.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Just saw a thread on sharpening in Neanderthal by Fitzhugh; hope you are checking it out.

The crazy one posts another one of "THOSE" posts.

I was going to just post my first comment as a light hearted nonsense for the fun of it.
    I feel now, since I am going to post a second dead serious comment that may offend I need to clarify from the start. I hope I am not being too BAD. And keep in mind your time fixing up these (fixer uppers) and the price of buying several of the maybe / maybe not inferior tools especially hand planes searching for something that does the job.

comment #1
    I only have my iPhone right now

You can’t do woodworking with an iPhone no matter what app you have or your sharpening techniques.

Kidding, kidding
    I have made some nice wood projects with my iPhone.
    but
    I still prefer my rock.

Comment #2
    Woodworking is EXPENSIVE (though cheeper than keeping a Ferrari). Real tools, in my experience, cost serious bank (though since I didn't waste that four thousand dollars on a REAL electric powered cabinet saw that I didn't need (though I still admire them and dream) I feel I am ahead by that much so hand tools are practically free especially when spread out over the years.
    I make very little in comparison to most people and I buy some of the higher end stuff. I would in all seriousness implore you to reevaluate your stand on "expensive" "out of reach" hand tools.
    A case in point I see all the time when it comes to an automobile repair people will pay three hundred dollars for an emergency brake cable (park brake cable actually) for one of many examples and not bat an eye not to mention the hundred dollar charge to install it etc.
    And yet, and yet and yet . . .
    when it comes to a two or three hundred dollar handsaw that they will have after the car with the park brake cable is gone and forgotten and will be a key tool in most projects (projects that could very well replace months or years of counseling and therapy (we all know what that costs)(well I don't but any way) . . .

or at least save their sanity until the shrink can get the net on them . .

they bridle. Too expensive they say.
    Unless some poor little guy in flip flops in a third world country who is getting beat with a stick and forced to make the tools in twelve hour shifts is getting paid zip the tool cost too much . . .
    is that it ? . . .

. . . OK . . . I'm done . . . I feel better . . .
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-19-2014 at 3:48 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Oh it's fine to use and beautiful to look at. I was noticing in my photo the blade looks thinner than the LN's.
    I haven't been back to the shop to measure it. Well I was metal working this morning before I went to work but I didn't have even a second to stop and switch gears to look at the Pax.

I'm off Tue. so probably then.

From what David has taught us I think it is just fine as it is blade in slot wise.
    And like yours it has a lot of weight from the massive brass back. A lot of high quality back saws that I have seen over the years on first rate blogs etc. have steel backs and are much lighter so I suppose the heavy brass isn't all that important and is more of a glam thing. I will take sharp and proper tooth geometry for the wood being worked over heavy ANY DAY ! But I like looking at my pretty saws too.

It is coming up time for me to get a "real" back saw. A Disston or other old guy. That will be a new adventure for me I am looking forward to. It is gratifying that I have so many great people here on Saw Mill to advise me when I get ready to find one. I would be lost otherwise trying to navigate all the chaff to find the wheat.
    Yeah I have no doubt the saw work perfectly fine with even 1\4 of the spine on the back, but it doesn't look good. with the front pinched and the back edge buried in the handle it much cleaner looking.

I'll only know about heavy vs light once I actually own both... but I we'll see, even before sharpening I'm very happy with the balance and feel of this Tyzack

I know, this place is amazing, there many people here who give amazingly time and advice. and it's a great place to be part of, I hope to start sharing some real stuff sooner rather than later.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rhodus View Post
    Just saw a thread on sharpening in Neanderthal by Fitzhugh; hope you are checking it out.
    Thanks so much Bill, I did check it out. but experiance has told me that jumping in the water is the best way to learn. I will probably make a saw vise and sharpen this puppy up in the next 2weeks, still have a project to finish for my newly married brother in law. Keeping a log sound like a great idea, I'll do that if I can discipline myself enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    I was going to just post my first comment as a light hearted nonsense for the fun of it.
    I feel now, since I am going to post a second dead serious comment that may offend I need to clarify from the start. I hope I am not being too BAD. And keep in mind your time fixing up these (fixer uppers) and the price of buying several of the maybe / maybe not inferior tools especially hand planes searching for something that does the job.

comment #1

You can’t do woodworking with an iPhone no matter what app you have or your sharpening techniques.

Kidding, kidding
    I have made some nice wood projects with my iPhone.
    but
    I still prefer my rock.

Comment #2
    Woodworking is EXPENSIVE (though cheeper than keeping a Ferrari). Real tools, in my experience, cost serious bank (though since I didn't waste that four thousand dollars on a REAL electric powered cabinet saw that I didn't need (though I still admire them and dream) I feel I am ahead by that much so hand tools are practically free especially when spread out over the years.
    I make very little in comparison to most people and I buy some of the higher end stuff. I would in all seriousness implore you to reevaluate your stand on "expensive" "out of reach" hand tools.
    A case in point I see all the time when it comes to an automobile repair people will pay three hundred dollars for an emergency brake cable (park brake cable actually) for one of many examples and not bat an eye not to mention the hundred dollar charge to install it etc.
    And yet, and yet and yet . . .
    when it comes to a two or three hundred dollar handsaw that they will have after the car with the park brake cable is gone and forgotten and will be a key tool in most projects (projects that could very well replace months or years of counseling and therapy (we all know what that costs)(well I don't but any way) . . .

or at least save their sanity until the shrink can get the net on them . .

they bridle. Too expensive they say.
    Unless some poor little guy in flip flops in a third world country who is getting beat with a stick and forced to make the tools in twelve hour shifts is getting paid zip the tool cost too much . . .
    is that it ? . . .

. . . OK . . . I'm done . . . I feel better . . .
    Ok! Good, I'm glad you feel better!

I DID NOT buy and iPhone..... oy..... my dear wife bought it for me for our anniversary, and it sat in my closet for months... awaiting me to finally give in... I don't like this stuff and would never spend money on it. anyway, now that I have it, it's pretty cool, I can spend time here on m lunch break and on the bus!

I agree good tools are worth it. buying 1 300$ saw can be better than 6 50$ saws. for me at the moment it's about getting what I need to work, and work well, thats it, and that's all the matters.

10. Think of it like this: pinch your thumb and forefinger together, making an O. This is the cross section of the back. now pinch something thin and flat between those fingers. That's the blade. If you shift the blade all of the way up until it bottoms out in the palm of your hand, the contact there influences the hang. Wiggle your fingertips past each other and back, watch the blade warp. Any tiny variations in the folded back are magnified out to the teeth edge. The back grabs the blade only at it's lower edge, and it doesn't matter how much of the saw plate it grabs, as long as it doesn't fall off or bottom out. The bottom line is that the toothline be straight.
    Last edited by bridger berdel; 08-19-2014 at 4:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    ....I am planing to start out the sellers way.
    lets not start on that path again. LOL JK

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    What is it that made your sharpening better?
    Practice, just as with anything else.

Blog Entries
    Bridger, that makes perfect sense. Pat, I plan to start that way because It seems simple and seems to work well, I have nothing to lose by trying, I will not let the mere mention of Paul's name turned into " starting again" this place is better than that.
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 08-20-2014 at 9:08 AM.