Thread: A home for two full sized saws

A home for two full sized saws

That used to just hang from a nail in a ceiling joist. Building a tool chest, so
    IMAG0189.jpg
    I made some room in the lid. A bit of scrollsaw work to make some wooden keepers
    IMAG0186.jpg
    Then attached this lid to the chest
    IMAG0187.jpg
    I HATE doing hinges by myself, not enough hands. Stand the chest up, and prop the lid open
    IMAG0190.jpg

The top saw is a Pheonix Warranted "Ship saw", the bottom saw is a Disston D-8 crosscut from about 1953. Might just work out.

Now, I am trying to figure out what will go where on the inside. May have to dial up Roy & Chris to see how a few trays will be done.

So far, all the lumber came from salvaged stuff. Like an old broken down bed frame, a waterbed platform. and some old barn siding. Store bought a pair of hinges, and a bottle of Elmer's. Price so far seems to be about right for me.

Sizes of this box: Lid 33-5/8" long, by 17-3/8" wide. Box stands ( with lid) at 23-3/8" tall. Box itself is 31-1/2" long, by 16-1/8" deep.

Have a few brace and bits to store away, a few "extra" planes, and a few assorted hand tools. Will be adding casters later on. Maybe next paycheck. Oh, and a chain for that lid.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Now, I am trying to figure out what will go where on the inside. May have to dial up Roy & Chris to see how a few trays will be done.

So far, all the lumber came from salvaged stuff. Like an old broken down bed frame, a waterbed platform. and some old barn siding. Store bought a pair of hinges, and a bottle of Elmer's. Price so far seems to be about right for me.

Sizes of this box: Lid 33-5/8" long, by 17-3/8" wide. Box stands ( with lid) at 23-3/8" tall. Box itself is 31-1/2" long, by 16-1/8" deep.

Have a few brace and bits to store away, a few "extra" planes, and a few assorted hand tools. Will be adding casters later on. Maybe next paycheck. Oh, and a chain for that lid.
    You might want to put some casters on it so it can be easily moved around in your shop. Maybe could find some salvage ones during one of your hunting trips? I like the saw storage.

You might want to consider putting some supportive clips in the middle of those saw blades. It would help keep them from developing a permanent curve from being stored in a horizontal position while gravity works at them.

I will see what I can cobble up. Maybe just a single screw to hold a clip-like "J", maybe?

First floor residents have arrived in the chestIMAG0186.jpg

And so drill bits ,tooIMAG0188.jpg
    and a space for a few braces
    IMAG0187.jpg
    I have installed a rail for the next tray to ride on. Added a piece to the back of the chest
    IMAG0189.jpg
    That matches the trim around the lid. Glued and screwed into place. Seems to keep the lid from going on over, don't need to prop it up. Not sure about adding a chain keeper.

Went out and priced some thin stock for tray sides....YIKES! I'll see what I can come up with.....

Looking good.

Chain is traditional, upholstery twine will work as well.

Too bad they don't make wooden orange crates now. Can you scrounge up a wooden wine crate? Probably not. Grocery stores use them for displays,and everyone wants to buy them more than they want to buy the wine!! Plane the brands off.

Yes,a rotating wooden clip will do.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-18-2014 at 6:52 PM.