Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool OF 1010 or 1400

Chris - you are a sick person, please seek professional help soon. People like you are hazardous to my bank account and shop P&L (I am really trying to not get a 1400 - I have five routers allready but the 1400 is soooo cool). BTW-I prefer the DeWalt trim/plunge router to the Colt.

II think you will glad of your choice . i have at this time 10 routers .one of which is the 1400 . i have found in my work the 1400 is not so special .I believe in the end to get all the extra's i have spent 1400$ on it . it really doesn't do anything special . You will have fun buying your second router with a 1/2 collet when the time comes ,a used one maybe .

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    However, I bet the dust collection, as always, works quite well with the Festool routers. Hmmmm.....
    Yeah, dust collection was one primary reason to get into the routers for me.

Extraction is not as complete as their sanding sets but a whole lot better than routers without the option.

I get frustrated once in while when a Festo router doesn't entirely clean up it's own mess until I grab one of the other guys and find myself covered in mess.

The Festo, at least, puts most of what it misses on the floor

I think you got some good advise so far,and it is a tough decision because they are both good routers.I have both routers (actually I own all 4 models ),so I will give you my opinion.Since you are plannig on using it for dado's,I would get the 1400,I think you will get tired of making multiple passes with the 1010.Plus the extra weight of the 1400 will be to your adavantage for dado's.For most routing operation's ,I alway's climb cut to prevent tearout,and the heavier the, router the better for stability.When I climb cut with the big 2200,it doesn't even move when climb cutting,just the opposite with the 1010.Another thing I like about the 1400 over the 1010 is the tooless base adapters,you can go from dust shroud to standard (for non edge work or inside corners ) without the hassle of unscrewing them on and off.I also find I get better cut quality with the 1400,just because of the extra weight and mass of the machine.

I have both 1010 & 2200 and for me that covers all I need a router to do. the 1010 is a more a trim router on steroids but you need either that or the 1400 to use the shelf pin rail - that alone is worth the cost of the 1010 - on my big cabinets I make the sides & back the same height (top/bottom overlap sides & back) and it is dead simple to put one or more rows of shelf pin holes on the case back for mid-span support on longer shelves.

but back to the original question - if you can have only one and dado's are part of the deal then the 1400 for sure

I agree the 1400 is more stable then 1100 .And i think dust collection is very important .I just have heard 1100 has great features and I know the 1400 isn't all that special .Dust collection is an add on feature . if i use the wide base the guide rail doesn't fit .it is smooth but no more then my bosch .I kinda think the poster who talked about PC and bosch has a point worth considering .

I have both and use the 1400 more than the 1010 ..