Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool OF 1010 or 1400

Festool OF 1010 or 1400

Hi,

I'm in the market for my first Festool router. I'm torn between the Festool 1010 and the 1400. For those of you who have experience with both, can you tell me which you prefer?

I should say that I do not own any router bits at the moment, so am not bothered that I can't use 1/2" bits with the 1010. Also, I don't do any edge profiling, so I'm not too concerned with not being able to find a wide range of shapes in the hard to find 8mm size. I will only be using this router for dados and rabbets and maybe some small chamfering. I should also say that I'm not looking for a do everything router.

What I'd really like to know is if you think the 1010 would be powerful enough with 8mm bits to cut 3/4" dados and rabbets. Also, just generally why you prefer one over the other.

Thanks!

I had the older version of the small router, OF 1000 and I would say for dadoes and rabbets, that router is underpowered. I think of that router mostly for hole drilling,small edge profiles and other smaller size applications. I would recommend the larger size.

I mostly build furniture and cabinetry. I use a router a lot. I can't imagine being stuck with a router which can't take 1/2" shank bits. A smaller lighter router is good for a second tool to take care of little roundovers and such, but if I had only one router, it would be a 1/2" plunge router.

I don't have festool router but I would not want router that can't take 1/2" router bits unless small like laminate trim router.

I have both the 1010 and the 1400 and use both for different tasks. The 1010 is a smaller lighter router that is good for task between a smaller laminate router and a larger router. However, if I was only going to buy on I would get the 1400 for several reasons: 1/2 collet, more power, and it is small enough and light enough to use for smaller tasks. My $0.02 for the routers

I've had both and preferred the 1400. It seemed that it was more versatile overall. Both are good machined.

I suggest you take a look at the Festool site, check out the accessories for the 1010, it's a very versatile little critter.

If you do not plan on going to 1/2" bits then the 1010 will be just fine.

For the 'heavier' cuts just make a pass or two more to achieve the desired result.

I started with the 1400 and MFK well before picking up the 1010, looking back, the 1010 plus accessories combined with my PC 7539(sans dust extraction) would handle most of what the 1400/MFK combo can do.

The 1400 will cover most any routing job, the 1010 does have some limitation on power and bit selection but it can do a lot.

The best thing to do is try to find a retailer that has Festool gear in house so you can handle/demo either one and decide from there.

Festool does have a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy if your initial choice does not meet your expectations (shipping is not included)

For versatility, the 1400 is a no brainer! Unless you only see yourself doing very small work, you will need the capacity of the 1/2" collet on the 1400. 1/2" bits cut much smoother than the equivalent 1/4" shank models as well. If you buy the 1010, you will quickly, and expensively learn its limitations, and will then end up owning both. The 1400 does everything the 1010 does and more- the reverse is not true!

The 1400 might be a little bulky for this application.

The MFK will do it but thickness of edge banding is a little more limited.

1010 edgebanding.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post

1010 edgebanding.JPG
    Agree with you that the 1400 will not be the right router to use with that particular accessory. However, like most things woodworking there is more than one way to accomplish the same end result. I have a special sub-base (took about 30 mins to make) for my plunger where I use it on top to rout the edge banding flush with the field using a morticing or any other bottom cut bit. Works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    like most things woodworking there is more than one way to accomplish the same end result.
    Exactly

The OP asked about two routers, just trying to give the guy some info that offers a broader view than the one that seems so obvious.

I mentioned earlier that I had the 1400 prior to the 1010 that should indicate where my intial decision making was at the time.

If the guy needs/wants the capability of the 1400, that's his decision, but for some to come on here and say that the 1400 is the only way to go is absurd.

There are many who don't think Festool routers are 'that good' and say that a high quality 'other name brand' and several good bits could be had for the same price.
    The merits of this argument is valid as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post

1010 edgebanding.JPG
    This application is one that led to me getting the 1010 earlier this summer and I have found it excels at it for me. I do not know if I would have the 1010 as my only router. I bought mine to complement my larger routers that handle 1/2" bits, and some bits are not available or not very useful in 1/4" or 8mm. But I have found that the 1010 is what I use most of the time, but it also does not take the place of the larger router.

Thanks everyone. And thanks, Tom, for sharing your thoughts on the 1010. I really appreciated hearing them as I've definitely been leaning towards the 1010 as it seems like, power and collet size aside, that it is the better designed router. To me, the ideal set up would be to own a couple of different routers for different applications. For instance, the 1010 and 2020. This way I'd have as smaller, lighter weight router and a heavier duty one that would handle everything and all bits sizes and could easily find a home in a table if I wanted to do something like lock mortises. But for now, I think I'll go with the 1010.
    Last edited by David Wadstrup; 08-18-2014 at 8:47 AM.

I think you would have to do a lot of routing to justify purchasing a Festool product. For a small router I have the DeWalt package with the plunge feature. This one has only the 1/4" collet. For a table mounted router I have a PC that has both 1/4 and 1/2" collets. For a portable plunge router I have a Bosch that also takes both size collets. All of them perform beautifully for someone who does woodworking as a hobby and I'll bet all of them together didn't cost as much as a Festool.

I've drunk most of the green Kool-Aid but I've so far been able to stay away from their tasty routers. I guess I've done just fine with my Porter Cables and Bosch Colt. However, I bet the dust collection, as always, works quite well with the Festool routers. Hmmmm.....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.