Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A new workbench. (a bit long)

A new workbench. (a bit long)

When I moved into my shop in Miami 9 years ago there was already a huge work surface in the mezzanine (4' x 16') from a previous owner, and though I never really liked it, I adapted and used it as my main assembly bench for all that time. When it was time to leave Miami I knew that item was staying behind and a new bench, made to my eccentric standards, was on the horizon. The plan was simple. The adjustable legs, (Adjust-a-Bench by Geoffrey Noden) that Mr Becker so kindly turned my on to a ways back, would provide the base support, glue up a hardwood top, an end vice and a tail vice and be done with it. How hard could it be. I budgeted a week. That was over a month ago.

Many of you don't know much about me, but whenever I build anything for myself, the rule is simple. I spend no extra money on materials if possible, the project must be made from the left over material I have lying around the shop, whatever that may be. First snag. I didn't have enough hardwood in appropriate lengths to do the top I wanted to do. I did have some plywood, some cherry, some mahogany, and some walnut. Not enough of any one in particular to do a complete project, but together, it added up okay. I could make it all work if I used the plywood as the main table body and edge it in hardwood. The new plan now called for four layers of baltic birch plywood laminated together.

However, I only had enough baltic birch to do three layers, but I did have some pre-finished maple ply, so that served as my bottom layer (which meant that I didn't have to seal the bottom - serendipity at its best.) Problem -- baltic birch only comes in 5' x 5' sheets, which meant there was a seam to deal with that would be visible in the top layer. I laminated the first three layers, the plys opposing each other and the two middle layer seams on opposite sides. I thought to come up with some sort of hardwood flooring affect by cutting the top layer into 3" sections, T&G them, and glue it up with many seams, like a design that was planned for. Then I thought of the Milwaukee Museum of Art and the floor of the old wing, with its edge grain flooring and the compression strength inherent there. What if I turned the plywood on edge and laminate the strips to the substrate? I do a test piece, I like it and decide to go for it. I asked for it. The long open time required Epoxy, I thought.

Mother's day weekend the In Laws are in town, my Father In Law, a wizend boat builder and Epoxy expert, I was in luck. We plan for a vacuum bag and have at it. Worked out pretty good. After I trimmed the top nice and square, the hardwood edge would be next. After I cut the pieces the corners called for dovetails. Okay, lay them out, cut on. Once they were installed I figured the edge and end grain of the plys called for filling. I mixed up some Epoxy with dust from the tool vac (not to be confused with the shop vac) and made a good pookey, spread it, wipe it, walk away. Gave the top a nice dirty look, but it was starting to feel like a brick as things were soaking up the resin. I was liking it. The finish was two coats of Epoxy, liberally sanded between coats, and finished sanded with care, and ultimately, paraffin oil, to a silky satin. At this point my wife felt it would do well in the dining room. I would not hear of it.

Since I planned for a solid (non-skirted) top, I had gotten under-mount vices (I like them better, even if they don't look as integral as a classic bench.) Problem is the top was starting to look pretty neat, and the jaws would hide the dovetails, so I did my best to add some details that would go with it. For my jaw stock all I had was some walnut that still had bark on it and it would be too small to use if i took the bark off, so I left it and went with it. To enhance the dovetails the bench decided it needed inset vices with hardwood inlays. Who was I to say no at this point. A simple design was worked out on the jaws that accented the dovetails and the jaws were installed. All that remainded were the dog holes. I made a jig to work with my big router and a spiral bit. Problem was, with all the resin and glues in the baltic birch, and the edge grain, I had to hone the bit every two holes.

Anyway. It is done. No one was hurt during the filming, and it is finally time for the bed I have been promising my wife for the last 10 years. No excuses remain. I will try to attach some pics, but if not successful, I have supplied a link to a simple web-page that outlines in more detail the whole progression for anyone who might be interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some more pics, and the link.

Here is the link to a more detailed journey.http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...e%20Workbench/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-13-2008 at 1:09 PM. Reason: Updated Link

Sam,

What a great workbench, beautiful, practical and inexpensive as well. Thanks for the pictures.

lloyd

WOW Sam, you told me about this, but I could not invision how it all went together. It is absolutely beautiful. Hope I get to see it in August.

Brian

Sam,

Looks great.

Kurt

Gulp... Sam, that is one nice bench!!! That might be one of the best benches that I've seen! I've never heard using b.b.p. for a top, but it turned out great. Thanks for showing it off. Man, I'd put that in my living room, throw some lamps on it, and call it good

Hi Sam, Very cool and unusual bench. I love it! I like your frugality with wood and that bench looks like a work of art. Any idea of the weight? Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Really nice Sam, way to go!

I've been wanting to build a nice bench, but cringing at the price of hard maple here in Houston. I wonder if I could convince LOML that if I just had an MM slider I could save a bunch of greenbacks on lumber and use BBP like you

Well done.
    Brad

Sam,
    What a wonderful design and use of offcuts. I will be interested to see how you like the end grain top. Very clever use of the walnut for the tail vise jaws. I assume the DT's that protrude are for holding stock on edge.
    Last edited by Alan Turner; 07-07-2005 at 7:38 AM.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Thumbs up

That's impressive Sam. I love the big dovetailed corners. Thanks for sharing!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Nice!

Sam,
    Thanks for sharing! That's a great looking and sturdy bench!

Cheers,
    -Mike

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Way Cool Sam!

That is a great bench and web site. Please show us more of your work and shop too.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 07-08-2005 at 8:57 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Sam,

Really a great design and beautiful work!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Sweet!!!!!! I really like the details around the twin vises! I need to be inspired like that!

Chris

That's a great design....I woulda never thought of edge up plywood as a top! Great dovetails on the trim...looks fantastic!