Thread: Looking for a scanner to find nails

Looking for a scanner to find nails

I found some reclaimed cypress, the down side is there are nails in some of the wood. Is there someone who has purchased a scanner that has had good results?

The best device favored by most sawyers is the Lumber Wizard, found here (I have no affiliation with this source). There is also a smaller version at less money, but it is not as efficient for anything but small stock.

Jointer blades will find every one...........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have one of this brand and it is great. I also got the little one with it to do little jobs in the shop. I used mine when I had a saw mill and it saved a lot on the chain. I have never used the one for the shop. They are great and save a lot on your cutters. Jim
    Jim Shockey

We do recycled lumber professionally and use a Fisher beach scanner for a quick general scan and a Zircon Metalliscanner to pinpoint the nail. The Woodwizard doesn't come even close. The Zircon is very precise.

I use the Wood Wizard, and it's saved me many blades. They may not be the top of the line, but, they sure are a lot better then using nothing.
    Len

I just use a regular metal detector that I bought years ago to find steel rod surveying stakes. It's nothing special, but will find any metal in wood. It was a step above the cheapest from Cabela's. It's come in handy for many uses.

I got a Garrett Superscanner thru a policeman friend and it works very well. It would detect 22 cal. slugs, BBs, and even old cut nail rust scale in beams from our old barn that I resawed. Saved a lot of blade sharpening. IIRC I paid ~~$80 several years ago but I just checked online and they ar $140 now. Still a good value.

I also have a Zircon metalscanner. I tried to locate a property pin, but didn't seem to be one there, so had to have the property line surveyed. Did find a horseshoe buried about 6" deep. It locates nails pretty well in boards. Was not a cheap tool, says 120 on the tag, and have had it several years.