Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new workbench. (a bit long)

Quite impressive!!

That ply on edge gives a very interesting apearance.
    I like the look, it creates the impression that you actually laminated every thin strip. And should make a very durable top.
    Over the weekend I had stacked a number of pieces of common sandply on edge for sanding for my miter station and thought " That really looks cool".
    The Edging really sets the top off, overall I like the bench.

Sam, there is no such thing as a post "too long"...

Wow, that's a wonderful bench setup and you really pulled out all the stops to use available resources in a great way!! Awesome!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. The idea of the BBP on edge happened by accident, as well as trying to figure design. I dropped a screw driver and hit hit and bounced off of a piece of ply laying flat and a small piece on edge. It dented the face of the flat piece and did nothing to the edge. So I did some informal experimentation and found the edge much more durable, especially in the center of the field. Naturally, the very edges of the edges chipped and frayed easily but once they were all bound together with the ends protected by the hardwood border, it proved quite impregnable. After the glue up I pounded it with a hammer and couldn't dent it. Then, after I had impregnated it with epoxy resin it really got hard. My guess is that it will hold up very well.

Brian, by August it should have a few scars on it.

And the two Alan T's -- Not sure what the weight is, but when I had the slider pulled all the way back to trim the long edge, the opposing corner of my combo raised slightly off of its pad, and to crosscut it I needed the rigid support of one of my roll around utility bench/carts to support the weight. I couldn't lift it by myself in any way, shape or form. The protruding DT's can be used to support stock on edge, but the main reason they ended up the way they did is because they were laying on the bench from the four corner DT cutouts, begging to be used, and it would have been a shame to throw them out.

Thanks again, and Tyler, the whole internet, homepage thing I am just starting to make myself familiar with it and I will start posting more of my work there and anything new I do here, as well.

Nice work! I think I'd rather have your shop space than the bench though! What's the "open" dovetail on the ends of the vice jaws for (with the long plug and BB wedge)? Is it decorative, or is there some potential use? Edit, sorry didn't read the last post fully.
    Last edited by Russ Filtz; 07-07-2005 at 10:56 AM.

Sam,

Many thanks for a timely post...I'm in design-mode for my bench and the timing of this thread couldn't have been better!

This a very nice and unusal bench and I'm glad to have met it!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Very impressive

Ingenuity, style, and frugality...always a great combination in my book!
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx

like others have said , that is a fantastic bench. I would be interested in how the end grain holds up, but it will probably be fine. I have built my own bench as well and posted pictures on smc, but have to say that I really like the top of yours better than mine. very good job..

best wishes
    lou

I think is would make a good entry on the FWW tools n shops issue...

Great job Sam!!

Sam---Very inspired, interesting bench. Function and style melded beautifully. I guess you would qualify as a "yankee" in Dave Andersons book.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

me likes...me likes. It appears to be a bench for a lifetime and then some!

Sam,

Whoah!!! What a bench! And that top! Whewww!!!. Great piece of work!!

I have a chaulking mallet (for pounding cotton into wooden boat seams) that is made like your top, all end grain. I've been pounding chaulking irons with it for over thirty years and it can still take it. Your bench will last a very long time.

Thanks for All the photos and your web site.

Good stuff!

KP

Great post - great bench. Wonderful photo sequence, especially the extra photos at your site. I like the fact that you practiced the large DT before doing it for real. Wise move - inspiring too.

Sam, beautiful job. Looks like a great work surface, nicely done.

Richard

Great bench, and I love the details. I also really like the adjustable height; I intend to incorporate that feature when I get around to building a real bench. My bad back precludes me from bending over a lot, so being able to bring the work up to my level would be great.

Thanks for sharing the details -

- Vaughn

Wow, that is one incredible bench. What are you using for legs?