Thread: Emerging Bowls

Emerging Bowls

Not long ago I got some information about how Irwin Seidman turned his emerging bowls. Got the info and thought I would give it a try. Here are my first two emerging bowls. The wood I got in a wood swap. It is spalted curly maple that came from Oklahoma. This was a fun project and did challenge me in a couple of different areas that were new to me. At this point they have just been dipped but have not been buffed. C & C is definitely welcomed.
    1274-2.jpg 1274-3.jpg 1275-1.jpg 1275-2.jpg

Pretty cool, Steve. I really like that concept and you chose a great looking piece of wood.

Good job. The consistent wall thickness only happens when the first turning is a true hemisphere.

Nice wood to boot.

super job..well done.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Very cool! Certainly has that 'How'd he do that?' quality! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

like it.....well done

Very nice. Another one I have to try someday.

Very nice work.

That's pretty cool. I'd love to see a post about how that's done.

Really a nice piece! I'll have to try this someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Edwardson View Post
    That's pretty cool. I'd love to see a post about how that's done.
    Notice its a half sphere and consider what happes if you connected it to the lathe from the back and the bottom in squence. Dale Miners comment about consistent wall thickness is what tipped me off

Thanks everyone for the complements. Here is a posting on how it is done: emerging bowl

12. Hi Steve

I haven't logged into Sawmill Creek for quite some time and wasn't aware of your post until a friend recently pointed it out to me. Your spalted curly maple emerging bowl turned out great! Have you made any more since? If so, I'd love to see more photos.

Thanks also for crediting my earlier work and for including the link to the 2006 "Rough Notes On Turning An Emerging Bowl" post in Woodturners Resource

Regards
    irwin

Blog Entries
    Dat is COOL.

Irwin,
    What a pleasure to have the "author" of the emerging bowl to comment on my turnings. Thank you very much for sharing your idea and process with your fellow turners. I have had such positive comments from both turners and non-turners on these bowls. Many scratch their heads trying to figure out how it was done. Sorry to say at this point I have not had the opportunity to turn any more than just those first two I do have a couple of pieces picked out for when I do turn my next two emerging bowls. And I'll be sure and post the results
    Thanks again for sharing your knowledge,
    Steve

Nice looking Bowl and a very interesting concept. Seeing your piece makes me wonder about other variations on the theme.