Thread: Texas State Fair 2014 Entry - In Memory of Bryan

Texas State Fair 2014 Entry - In Memory of Bryan

So this years entry for the Texas State Fair has been a labor of love. I conceived of and drew this shape on my workbench around 11:30 p.m. the night of February 12th this year. At 3:30 a.m. my sister called and informed me my brother, only 2 years older had died of a massive heart attack, earlier that evening, basically at the same time I was drawing on my workbench. Then when I received the State Fair information this year, and the theme was "Deep in the Heart" with the symbol engraved, this years entry became clear in my head, made with care and in loving memory of the time on this earth that I had with my brother Bryan. No matter how judged this year at the fair, I have already been rewarded by building it with him watching over me as I made the cuts, and formed the vessel.

A total of 586 pieces, and made with Walnut, Bloodwood, Maple, and a floating bottom of Teak.

Comments are of course welcome and appreciated in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blair,
    Thats magnificent. All I can say is wow!

What an excellent tribute to your brother.

Fred

Very nice, and a great tribute. Good luck at the fair.

Your brother would be proud, a very nice job.

Blair, I am sorry to hear of your loss. I think you did a great job on this - especially the detail ring. I hope it places well at the fair! I realize that is not necessary but the recognition would add just a bit to an already impressive work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Condolences on your brother's passing Blair, he was only a young man it just goes to prove that one never knows when their time is up. This is a beautiful tribute vessel, I'm sure your brother would be proud. You mentioned that there is 586 pieces in this vessel, could you let me know what the dimensions are, how tall and how wide?
    Len

It is a little over 12" tall and 8 1/3" in diameter. Each of the veneer rings are made from two pieces of 1/16" Baltic birch plywood and two layers of black dyed veneer pressed together. And cut into pieces like a normal ring. I get the plywood from Michael's. Made by Revell the old model maker we knew as kids, very fitting in this case since Bryan and I made many models together.

Results are in for this years 2014 Texas State Fair and have been honored with 3rd place! Figure my bro would be proud!

Outstanding work. Glad you were rewarded for it.

Thanks for the comment Steve, winning would have been nice, but continuous improvement is my goal. This vessel was better in most areas than last years entry, but I ended up rushing it slightly so always room for improvement, and so third place drives me more than probably winning in a lot of ways. Like most of you on here I simply love wood, and love the engineering side of segmenting so on to the next challenge and what I can dream up or try.

I am working on a fun wood sculpture that will be colorfully dyed, something new for me. Look for in about a month.