Thread: Powermatic 3 hp. Short bed lathe

Powermatic 3 hp. Short bed lathe

I had a great talk with Nick Cook at "Turn on Chicago" and he said he was soon going to Ireland and that He would be turning on a Powermatic 24-24 shortbed lathe with a 3hp motor with sliding head stock. Essentially the same as the 24-42 expect for the length. Because of the smaller workshops in Europe, the long beds aren't as popular as they are here in the states. He said he would like to see it here. It would be interesting to see how it would compare to the shortbed Vicmarc. What are others thoughts on a shortbed Powermatic. He also said that Powermatic has discontinued the riser block for the tail stock on the 24-42. It allowed the tail stock to be used on the lowered extension option.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I bet Nick is going to turn on Glenn Lucas's lathe. Glenn has a shortbed Powermatic like you describe (but over there they are white and called Jet). I hope they show up over here!

He did mention that there is a whole lot of price difference. Maybe a few hundred dollars. It is only a couple of feet of cast iron. I have seen a picture of a mayonnaise Powermatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    He also said that Powermatic has discontinued the riser block for the tail stock on the 24-42. It allowed the tail stock to be used on the lowered extension option.
    That's too bad...I was hoping they would sell well enough for them to decide to make one for the 3520b!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Seyfried View Post
    That's too bad...I was hoping they would sell well enough for them to decide to make one for the 3520b!
    Yes I agree. It is no fun reverse vacuum chucking a 20+" bowl without a tail stock. Just centering it can be frustrating.

You don't need a tailstock riser. Just make an outboard centering jig. Glue and screw 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood together, 8" at the base, 4" at the top, and 22" high. Cut a piece of 2 1/4" x 2 1/2" x 1/2" plywood to fit the gap, and screw it to the bottom.

Mark the center with a point in the headstock, and drill 1/2" hole. A 1/2" drill blank works well as a center.

Obviously, this is only to be used to center turnings, NOT to be used as a tailstock support.

phpL0rtNHPM[1].jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bunce View Post
    You don't need a tailstock riser. Just make an outboard centering jig. Glue and screw 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood together, 8" at the base, 4" at the top, and 22" high. Cut a piece of 2 1/4" x 2 1/2" x 1/2" plywood to fit the gap, and screw it to the bottom.

Mark the center with a point in the headstock, and drill 1/2" hole. A 1/2" drill blank works well as a center.

Obviously, this is only to be used to center turnings, NOT to be used as a tailstock support.

phpL0rtNHPM[1].jpg
    Thanks Don. That would help a lot. I have a vacuum chuck made from the top of a 2 gallon paint bucket. Once it is centered it is pretty stabile. I hope that is an old photo and your 35-20 is getting dirty. We have quite a bit of cherry at the club. Drop by Sat morning and pick some up.