Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black locust workbench

Black locust workbench

This bench will either last a long, long time or become firewood soon. The wood is black locust, and as Noel Coward put it (or was it Cole Porter?) the stuff was moister than an oyster - 20 percent, according to my more or less reliable meter - when I started work on it two weeks ago.

What were the risks? Let me count them: warping, checking, splitting, and who knows what else.

Still, the grain on the slabs was straight, so the risk of warping seemed low. Even so, I joined the three boards comprising the top with plenty of glue and 3/4x1 inch splines from the waste. I also cinched the middle board to those on each side with half-inch galvanized lag screws 10 inches long, three on each side, counterbored so that the thread reached as far as possible into the middle board.

I plugged the counterbores with 1 1/4 inch dowels turned from waste, then sealed the end grain of each plug with beeswax mixed with mineral oil. I did the same to the end grain on the top and to the bottoms of each leg of the base.

I took special care in making tenons and mortises for the base rails, making sure to get no-slop fits.

The legs are through-tenoned into the top, and I can tell you that my heart took flight when the top, with only a little help from me and a friend who came by to help, swallowed those tenons with a wondrous "thock."

The cabinets rest not on the bottom rails themselves but rather on crossed slats glued into grooves on the inside top edge of the rails, in hopes that this detail, like the wedged through tenons attaching the top to the base, will limit the risk of warping. I have no idea what the wood is on the cabinet faces.

Warping and splitting are the things I worry about most, and I'm hoping that all of this engineering will work against these risks. Will it? Who knows? If the beeswax and mineral oil seal the end grain, the wood will dry slowly and, I hope, at the same rate throughout the bench. If that happens, the whole thing will cinch up tight as a drum and hard as a rock, and my grandson, now all of eight months old, will inherit this bench from his father and use it long into this century.

If I'm wrong, I'll know soon enough.IMG_3616-2.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 08-19-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Increassed font size for readability

Wow.

Black locust?
    That's an epic undertaking.

I wager this thing will outlast all of us.

Kudos

just saw this in passing.. BEAUTIFUL!!
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Great looking bench. I'm jealous that you knocked this out in two weeks elapsed time. My build was more like 4 months, and I haven't even started on the cabinet that is on the drawing board to go under the bench. I'm not sure I would have risked doing all of this work with wood showing a 20% moisture reading. I hope it cures out in an acceptable fashion for you. What are your plans for work holding? I don't see any dog holes or vises.

Doesn't look wet to me.

I comment you for throwing caution to the wind and giving it a shot. I hope it will be fine, but look forward to future reports.

Joe - No dog holes, as my son in law needs a bench for his new house but doesn't do woodworking. I've bought him two Wilton vises - a woodworker's vise and a mechanic's bench vise - and will attach them once we get the bench into his new house and he decides where he wants either or both.

It is one handsome looking bench.looks like its set for a left hander. Nice work

One other thing. Those round black things under the legs are hockey pucks with half-inch bolts threaded through them into 2-inch hexagonal steel connectors buried in the legs - a clever idea for leveling a bench on uneven surfaces that I picked up somewhere, sometime long ago.

That is incredibly pleasing to the eye.

That is Gorgeous!!!!!!
    pat

Very nice, Juan. I love the choice of black walnut.

I'll bet it'll be practically musical once it's dry...if it isn't already.

practically musical?

Nice looking bench! Did you carve the date and your name into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    practically musical?
    Yeah, it'll sound like a drum or a marimba when something hits it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Hovey View Post
    Those round black things under the legs are hockey pucks...
    Hockey pucks in Southern California?
    You guys play ice hockey out there?

Really?

When did that happen?
    You mean it wasn't all an awful nightmare?

the awful truth.jpg