Thread: Hollow balls

Hollow balls

I wanted to make up a game that used hollow balls filled with different amounts of lead weight. There's a game out there called washers. I want to build a game similar to that that used plywood hollow balls. I wanted the balls to be perfectly round and exactly the same as each other for all six in diameter inside and out. I made up my own tools from A2 tool-steel . Heat treated them to 60 Rockwell made a little steel Jig to hold them in lathe . And off to work I went. A buddy of mine was quite interested so he videotaped, edited and posted this to YouTube. I hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 08-18-2014 at 9:24 PM.

Here are my 1/2" thick tool bits before I started shaping and after and the heat treating process.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 08-18-2014 at 8:09 PM.

Then I filled 2 of the hollow balls with 100 grams of lead, another 2 with 200 g of lead and the final 2 with 300 g of lead. Then I laminated the two Halfs together sanded.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 08-18-2014 at 8:38 PM.

Then I started making up the seven sided bunt pan shaped box that look very similar to a sombrero.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 08-18-2014 at 8:47 PM.

The game is similar to horse shoes. You get three balls to throw at each end. The boxes are 25' apart. You get 1pt. If you get it with in 1 ball or less of outside of the box. You get 2pts. if you get a ball in outer ring of box and 3pts. if you sink it in the middle. Points are counted by each team and the difference goes to the higher pt. end. When 21 pts. Is achived this declares the winning team. Winning team must win by 2 or more points. Points are not counted till end is finished. Well these are my rules of the wooden bean bag game. Oh ya, Higher point team always leads in every end with alternating throws. In a tie previously leading team still leads.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 08-18-2014 at 9:10 PM.

And here is finished. The two boxes close and lock on top of each other trapping the balls for carrying. There is a 25 foot rope that is also put inside the box for constant span setting. It is a neat little portable horseshoe pit that gets hours and hours of fun. I hope you guys enjoyed my game build.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 08-18-2014 at 9:48 PM.

Great project, Matt.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

WOW! Awesome! That looks so great I'd have a hard time throwing them around!

But, washers are WAY cheap...... LOL

Thanks Grant & Kyle.

Neat, that came out really nice. Excellent walkthrough on all the details.