Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I know, you can never have too many, but...

Let me say this about that: To truly become a collector and not just an accumulator, you need to have decoy collections to through SWMBO off. You have to begin by having her accompany you whilst looking over stuff that you have you're eye one (but all the while, watching what she looks at). Then you start buying a few of those items, keeping them out for her to admire, while all the time, somewhere hidden away, the true treasures accumulate.

For me, it is plumb bobs. Wife loves them, and when in my shop, admires them. Gives me the ability to keep adding saws! Also, accumulate smaller items like stones. You can have a dozen dirty old stones piled in a corner that the fairer sex just ignore because of the oil, gooey mess (helps to have spider webs).

But the absolute best way to accumulate things is to never, and I mean never, comment about the every growing closet of shoes she buys. Just ignore brand names like Kate Spade, Nine West or Michael Kors, that appear on all sorts of goods in your house - because you know, that down in the shop, you;ve pulled a fast one in sneaking the $7.00 dollar stone into the shop AND SHE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW! (right).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Let me say this about that: To truly become a collector and not just an accumulator, you need to have decoy collections to through SWMBO off. You have to begin by having her accompany you whilst looking over stuff that you have you're eye one (but all the while, watching what she looks at). Then you start buying a few of those items, keeping them out for her to admire, while all the time, somewhere hidden away, the true treasures accumulate.

For me, it is plumb bobs. Wife loves them, and when in my shop, admires them. Gives me the ability to keep adding saws! Also, accumulate smaller items like stones. You can have a dozen dirty old stones piled in a corner that the fairer sex just ignore because of the oil, gooey mess (helps to have spider webs).

But the absolute best way to accumulate things is to never, and I mean never, comment about the every growing closet of shoes she buys. Just ignore brand names like Kate Spade, Nine West or Michael Kors, that appear on all sorts of goods in your house - because you know, that down in the shop, you;ve pulled a fast one in sneaking the $7.00 dollar stone into the shop AND SHE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW! (right).
    Wow...It is very possible that you and I were somehow separated at birth...

My wife is actually "interested" in my handplane habit. Well, sort of. I mean, if I bring one in the house and show it to her, it doesn't take long before her eyes glaze over. She does, however constantly point out planes to me when we are out and about at antique stores or flea markets. She even seems disappointed when I tell her that I don't need yet another #4...

BTW...I would NEVER make mention of my wife's shoes.

EVER.

Mostly because I own in excess of 60 pairs of cowboy boots.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    My wife is actually "interested" in my handplane habit.
    Lucky you. I tried showing my wife one of my planes once, and she said, 'come back when you have one that takes me to Hawaii.'

Well Harold, you are from Pennsyltucky (as I) and from that state, all bets are off (we also can lay claim to David Weaver, but he's a Pittsburgh-ite).

(we also can lay claim to David Weaver, but he's a Pittsburgh-ite).
    Yeah we can "claim" Dave (much as you would baggage at the airport).

I do find it ironic that David (given his much celebrated and acclaimed hankering for stones) lives not too far from a place called Slippery Rock.

Coincidence? I think not.
    I am never wrong.

Well Harold, you are from Pennsyltucky (as I) and from that state, all bets are off (we also can lay claim to David Weaver, but he's a Pittsburgh-ite).
    Yeah, I grew up in central PA, though, and that's still where I do most of my antique shopping. Tony, you get around and liquidate my spots sometimes, though.

I've done pretty well on ebay since going nutty for washitas, though. And I like them, too - because I can hide them in a stone bench. But my bench is getting full.

I discarded all of my bench planes that don't get used fairly regularly, though - they take up serious space and they rust.

Yeah we can "claim" Dave (much as you would baggage at the airport).

I do find it ironic that David (given his much celebrated and acclaimed hankering for stones) lives not too far from a place called Slippery Rock.

Coincidence? I think not.
    Yeah, I've never been to slippery rock, either. If there was a place called oily stone, I'd drive there and look around on the ground, though.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 08-20-2014 at 9:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    From personal experience please be warned that the god Hermes appears in literature, and on billing statements .
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't live anywhere else but PA. Been all over the country and it is always great to get home. Great flea markets (Hazen, PA first weekend of September and Nitanny Tractor Show/State College, same weekend - both are great), tools in antique malls/stores and plenty of decent lumber dealers. Also can shoot deer & turkey off the back porch, and only one of the neighbors complains!

Harold, no woodies, Common man, get cracking. ...

In all seriousness, I wouldn't live anywhere else but PA. Been all over the country and it is always great to get home. Great flea markets (Hazen, PA first weekend of September and Nitanny Tractor Show/State College, same weekend - both are great), tools in antique malls/stores and plenty of decent lumber dealers. Also can shoot deer & turkey off the back porch, and only one of the neighbors complains!
    Flea market? Hazen PA? First weekend of September???

hmmm...
    I am never wrong.

Flea market? Hazen PA? First weekend of September???

hmmm...
    Yep. I'll probably pop into Hazen on Saturday. However, much closer to you and will be far more productive will be the absolute huge flea market at the Nittany Tractor Show in Centre Hall, PA. Starts on the Thursday before the weekend, ends on Sunday. I'm close enough to hit both, so I will, but for your distance, I would opt for Centre Hall. Once a year, held in conjunction with the tractor show. Lots of good rust, from many, many tools, to farm implements, old car stuff.

Yep. I'll probably pop into Hazen on Saturday. However, much closer to you and will be far more productive will be the absolute huge flea market at the Nittany Tractor Show in Centre Hall, PA. Starts on the Thursday before the weekend, ends on Sunday. I'm close enough to hit both, so I will, but for your distance, I would opt for Centre Hall. Once a year, held in conjunction with the tractor show. Lots of good rust, from many, many tools, to farm implements, old car stuff.
    Does the flea market in Centre Hall open on that Thursday, or is it just the tractor show?
    I am never wrong.

I was temporarily blinded by all the glam

Holy light is shining on the BU jack?
    Oh well I guess there IS one there isn't there. Could use a few more. I'd sell off some of them funny things with all the layers and layers of springy metal clampy things so's you have room for the Bevel Ups.

Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-21-2014 at 12:25 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I am just waiting on you to ship them to me!
    You can have my Bevel Ups when you pry them from my cold dead hands !

Oh wait . . . you look pretty tough. Maybe I should rephrase that . . .
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.