Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I know, you can never have too many, but...

Mostly because I own in excess of 60 pairs of cowboy boots.
    You know . . .
    You and I could be brothers too.
    What a quinkadink ! I have like 60 pairs of Birkenstocks !
    Including . . . two pair of blue suede clogs ; one for wearing WITH socks (in the winter you understand) and a narrower pair for wearing without socks for the hot months.
    Ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha
    B R O T H E R !

PS: the photo at the link doesn't do them justice they are actually kind of purddy.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-21-2014 at 1:09 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

come back when you have one that takes me to Hawaii.'
    Prushun,
    THAT is awesome !
    I like HER !
    Sounds high maintenance but very cool !
    But
    Better is Better.

Harold, I am late to the party, but I look at that picture ofyour planes, and fail to see the problem. :-)
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Does the flea market in Centre Hall open on that Thursday, or is it just the tractor show?
    I believe it does, but check their website to be sure. I usually go Friday morning
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    You can have my Bevel Ups when you pry them from my cold dead hands !

Oh wait . . . you look pretty tough. Maybe I should rephrase that . . .
    hmmm...Why wait until you're dead?
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I think you have too may planes. When I see a display like this, it is tempting to ask how many guys work in the shop. (In traditional shops each worker had four or five bench planes.) When you have too many tools, you lose the intimacy that is helpful for clean and efficient work.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I think you have too may planes. When I see a display like this, it is tempting to ask how many guys work in the shop. (In traditional shops each worker had four or five bench planes.) When you have too many tools, you lose the intimacy that is helpful for clean and efficient work.
    Yeah, I know what you're saying and I tend to agree.

Then again...you sound an awful lot like my wife. "Honey? Is that you???"
    I am never wrong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    If selling off half my tools would make my work cleaner or more efficient, I'd be smiling and on the way to the bank.

I can agree that having more tools isn't what makes one a better worker.

There is no need for another #4 or #5 plane in my shop. If one came along at a "can't refuse" price, it would likely be in my nature to buy it and save it for one of my grandkids or another person looking for a deal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If selling off half my tools would make my work cleaner or more efficient, I'd be smiling and on the way to the bank.

I can agree that having more tools isn't what makes one a better worker.

There is no need for another #4 or #5 plane in my shop. If one came along at a "can't refuse" price, it would likely be in my nature to buy it and save it for one of my grandkids or another person looking for a deal.

jtk
    With the frequency and cheapness of certain types of tools in my locale, I have trouble passing them up. But I basically do as you (Jim) does: fix up and give away. For example vintage 60-1/2 block planes go for the $5 to $10 range. A decent #4 or #5 is $10 to $15. Handsaws abound around here for less than $5.00 for decent users. Hard to pass up, so I don't, if the tool has good bones and can be set up to use without a lot of fuss.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

You definitely have too many jointers. Fortunately for you, I would be willing to let you send me one.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    ...vintage 60-1/2 block planes go for the $5 to $10 range....
    WHAT?!!! Man! Buy them ALL for that price! For crying out loud! The irons are worth that!
    Last edited by Harold Burrell; 08-21-2014 at 2:29 PM.
    I am never wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    You definitely have too many jointers. Fortunately for you, I would be willing to let you send me one.
    Oh...you have no idea!

As I mentioned, those are just the ones I was planning on keeping. I have three more (yeah...I said 3) #8's...that I am looking to unload, by the way.

Two of them are type 8/9's and they are ready to rock and roll. The other one is a tad older even (IIRC) and it needs a tad more work.
    I am never wrong.

Blog Entries
    I use a LN #7 for practically every project. I suppose i don't need my coffee table to be within .003, but I'm happy that it is (or was when I built it). The dining table I built for my sister's wedding gift I think I left that at .010" end to end, but over 80" that looks pretty flat. Trying to get another .005" would be both fairly pointless and also incredibly difficult, but I digress.

I think my #4 and #7 are my favorite planes, I like the others but lean on these for everything precision, which is the fun part for me.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

#7s and #8s . . . for practically every project etc.
    You guys must have shoulders like bowling balls from pumping all that iron.
    I on the other hand keep my shoulders smaller by using smaller and lighter hand planes.

I can't fight the women off fast enough as it is.
    So I nurture the one flaw in my frightening physique in the hopes I can get a little peace now and then from the near constant onslaught of female admirers.

But
    Better is Better.