Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh dear...... LV released a few products again...

Oh dear...... LV released a few products again...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/WhatsNew.aspx

Medium router.
    Tooth blade. All those configuration.
    Track for LV shooting plane.

I am intrigued by the Medium router. Not sure about the rest as the tooth blade, I use it to remove wild grain and have built a dedicated board for the LV shooter
    BTW for owners of the small router, the adjuster is available. Free until 30th September.

And the broad hatchet! wow! maybe I can learn to carve some spoons after all

Blog Entries
    Curse you, Rob Lee ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just noticed that. It was funny, too - I got an LV email, touting the bit/driver storage system, and was like "eh, that's nice, I guess, but I've got all that storage taken care of", until I notice the bottom of the email, the other what's new stuff, they've got that medium router plane in there, just like a casual aside . . .

I was most enthused by an easily available, cheap, single bevel hatchet. That's cool, I haven't been looking hard or anything, but it seems like single bevel hatchets aren't readily available new, and I haven't had great luck stumbling across them in sizes that I'd like to use (I.E., I'm not huge) on the used market.

The shooting board tracks look neat, too.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Hrm. . .a shooting track.

Iiiiiiiiinteresting concept.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

The hatchet looks interesting until I could not find the make of the tool...... I am really particular of the steel they use. But it looks like a fine addition to the room.....

Mmmm. Medium router plane and shooting track.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Not really sold on the shooting track. Just make a wood one. I suspect more new tools are on the way.

Blog Entries

@Malcolm thanks. I will use them for my machinist chest I want to build.

That medium router looks pretty useful....think I'll need to get myself one.

I got sent the medium and fine toothed blades for testing in my SBUS(the coarse is the one they've always had). I really didn't think I'd find them that useful since I've never done veneer and I don't generally work highly figured wood. However, I recently bought some pine and poplar, from what I thought was a good dealer, that turned to be garabage...lots of knots and reversals...not the nice easy to work stuff that I expect when I buy poplar.

Anyway, long story short, to my surprise I've been using the fine one a lot to knock down knots, prior to flattening the whole board. The finer tooth count works really nicely for that purpose, especially in something like crap pine, where you have super hard sappy knots in otherwise styrofoam soft wood. It was a pleasant to surprise; no more annoying humps in knotty wood.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Oh, OK Chris- I was wondering because I already have the toothed blade so I couldn't figure why it was new. So now they have a medium and fine. Hmmmm. Might get one of the fine blades. The toothed blades are sure nice for flamed maple and figured mahogany.

So, without spilling the beans, can you tell us if there are other tools you saw on your trip that are not yet released? I already have the large router plane and don't have enough need to get the medium, but have a little money in the tool buyin' fund.

The med.router looks to be targeted towards the compulsive buyer, not user. Conveniently available w/o a blade for those not wanting to waste their catalogue viewing time on using, sharpening, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    That medium router looks pretty useful....think I'll need to get myself one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    The med.router looks to be targeted towards the compulsive buyer, not user. Conveniently available w/o a blade for those not wanting to waste their catalogue viewing time on using, sharpening, etc.....
    Oh, oh...

Time to pop some popcorn, sit back and watch the fireworks.

"Why, yes! As a matter of fact, I AM an instigator."
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

The medium router is interesting b'cos it uses the existing blades from the large router. I do find the large router at times NOT effective on smaller pieces. To think of it, try cleaning up the dovetail itself. No need to use chisels for the cheek. Use this router instead. The large router is just too unwieldly.

For the tooth blade. I am fine/good with the "default" version. For veneer work looks like a good option to add the newer tooth blades.