Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh dear...... LV released a few products again...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post

So, without spilling the beans, can you tell us if there are other tools you saw on your trip that are not yet released? I already have the large router plane and don't have enough need to get the medium, but have a little money in the tool buyin' fund.
    Sorry dude. My lips are sealed....the only tools I saw that I can talk about are the ones you already own....but yes I did see a number of other tools that haven't been released yet.

I'll need to wait to buy the medium router, since yesterday stumbled across a really good BIN price on a small LN shoulder plane and ahem..."accidentally" bought it; plus I'm budgeting for a few tailed tools I want at the moment. I'd definitely find it useful to have though, just out of shear laziness of being able to leave my large setup with the 1/2" blade and using the medium when I need the smaller blades. Certainly not something I'm in urgent need of though, so it'll go on the birthday wishlist for now.

Harold...I'm pretty sure Paul is joking :-) ...no fireworks today. Besides, I've decided to stop playing with fire.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-20-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    But...but... I watch for LN regularly on eBay and never saw the small shoulder plane. (Sobs).

I see where the medium router would come in handy, and like that it uses the large blades that I already have, but most of what I do ends up being on large flat surfaces anyway. It is on the "future purchase" list but not on the "immediate needs list."

I want the miniature router. It would come in handy for intricate abalone inlays that I often do. In fact, all the miniature tools would serve me some purpose and I intend to eventually get the set. Don't knock the worth of a tiny spokeshave when you need to touch up a curve or a miniature plane when beveling 1/4" strips.

But...but... I watch for LN regularly on eBay and never saw the small shoulder plane. (Sobs). .
    This was it...its the small bronze infill

I'm sure you saw it. It was sitting at a BIN price of $175 for about a week, and then the seller suddenly dropped in to $150. I randomly ran across it yesterday morning and couldn't resist.

What's funny is I actually used to own that model, but found it a bit too small and sold it to pay for an LV medium since I generally needed something a bigger. Love my LV medium, but did find myself missing the little guy from time to time, so decided for that for that price I might as well give it another go. Nothing wrong with having both, and if I find myself not using it, well, I'll easily recoup my money on it. I'm am excited to own it again...its a neat little plane, it just wasn't ideal for my uses as an "only one" shoulder plane. Now that I have the LV med, and a vintage 1 1/2" infill, it should round out the gang pretty nicely.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-20-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, I saw that one. I wasn't thinking about the infill plane. Nice little plane. I have a LV large shoulder plane and often wish it were smaller.

I have a LV large shoulder plane and often wish it were smaller.
    In that case, if you want a small one-handed shoulder plane, then yeah, the LN 041 or the small LV would probably be a better option than the little infill. The infill is nice but its really quite small and light...a very handy little tool but more special purpose feeling, if that makes sense. If you have big hands like i do it can tend to disappear into your palm without giving quite enough registration for when you want some extra power...really nice for light controlled work, but if you only have a large, something that is still easily wielded one handed but that has more weight and palm registration than the infill will be preferred in most cases (which is why I sold it the first time and got the LV medium).

I'm a huge fan of both the 041 and the LV small (though funny enough I don't own either, just because they're not needed my current line up, as the LV med covers me for most stuff)..both are superbly designed with very nice weight and proportions. Very comfortable and controllable in one had but still good power and solid palm registration. If you had the large and then got the infill there'd probably be times where you still wanted something in between...with the LV small or LN 041 I don't think you'd find a need for anything in between....anything that your large felt too big for they would likely be perfect for.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-20-2014 at 6:52 PM.