Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of hummingbirds here this year

Lots of hummingbirds here this year

Yesterday they went through about 24 cups of 4 to 1 water/sugar nectar.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8a059c56.mp4

That is a real spectacle! I thought I was doing well to see three at once.

If I see three in a year, it's remarkable.

I had to check the OP location,
    I would have guessed it was filmed in the Amazon.

Very nice...

...Enjoy.

Now, we just put out flowers that attract the humming birds. When we used to use a feeder, we seemed to get more wasps than birds.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

VERY Cool! We used to have hummingbird wars at our old house. We had planted Monarda "Jacob Kline" (aka Bee Balm) flowers and the blooms are a very vivid red. Hummingbirds would come from all around and dive-bomb each other while trying to get to the 4' to 5' tall flowers. We brought some starts with us to the rental house and plan to plant them in our future home. The flowers are only about 2' tall while in pots on the porch, but just the other day I saw a hummingbird check them out.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

That looks great....we have several smaller feeders out and the hummers are constantly fighting and keeping each other off of them. It is fun to watch. We also have Impatiens, Fuchsia, and Verbena which the seem to love.

One day, I would love to actually see a nest but they are so small and well camouflaged.

Wow! We have about a dozen that we feed. Our feeder lasts about a week. It's almost time to ween them off and send them south for the winter.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We get a lot of them here, but not like that. That looks creepy, like something out of Hitchkock

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    VERY Cool! We used to have hummingbird wars at our old house. We had planted Monarda "Jacob Kline" (aka Bee Balm) flowers and the blooms are a very vivid red. Hummingbirds would come from all around and dive-bomb each other while trying to get to the 4' to 5' tall flowers. We brought some starts with us to the rental house and plan to plant them in our future home. The flowers are only about 2' tall while in pots on the porch, but just the other day I saw a hummingbird check them out.
    I have several perennial beds that my late wife planted and cared for in the yard. Most everything that she planted in them was with hummingbirds and butterflies in mind. There is a huge patch of Monarda in one of the larger beds. This is the second summer that the beds have not been tended to, and they are getting a bit out of hand. Hopefully they will survive!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Wow! We have about a dozen that we feed. Our feeder lasts about a week. It's almost time to ween them off and send them south for the winter.
    Yeah, they'll soon be packing their luggage! But don't ween them off, that's an old wives tale. Now until they're gone is when they need all of the help they can get. I always leave a small feeder out for at least two weeks after I see the last hummingbird for the summer, just to help the stragglers along.

You're right! I did not know that. I have always weaned them because that's what my mom always did.

Thanks

http://wildbirdsunlimited.typepad.co...ng-should.html
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Marsh View Post
    I have several perennial beds that my late wife planted and cared for in the yard. Most everything that she planted in them was with hummingbirds and butterflies in mind. There is a huge patch of Monarda in one of the larger beds. This is the second summer that the beds have not been tended to, and they are getting a bit out of hand. Hopefully they will survive!
    When we had our old house on the market, we had already moved 2.5 hours away. We would come down every other weekend or so to mow, but we didn't do any watering. The Monarda was a bit scraggly, but it survived. The transplant we have at the rental has been doing okay too. Last year I had looked out the window one afternoon and noted the blooms had just exploded in color. The next day they were gone. ?? <grrr> Darn goat stuck it's head thru the fence when one of us forgot to turn the hot wire back on! It's doing just great this year and sprouted several more baby plants. Enough that we were able to pot up several and keep them far away from the goats!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Maybe that explains it. We have about 10% of what we had last year. They are all in Minnesota!

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Maybe that explains it. We have about 10% of what we had last year. They are all in Minnesota!
    It must be the aroma of Tater Tot Hotdish emanating from Minnesota that attracts them. It sure as heck can't be da Lutefisk ya know!

P&B.jpg

The number of hummingbirds changes from season to season. One year we got quite a few and I kept putting out additional feeders. Eventually we had 4 quart size feeders and 2 gallon size feeders. The quarts got filled every day and the gallons every other day. We went through over 50 lbs of sugar that year. It was amazing to go outside and have around 100 hummingbirds buzzing around at the same time.

The next year, we barely got any. I think a breeding pair claimed the territory and chased the others away.

Steve