Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lots of hummingbirds here this year

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    The number of hummingbirds changes from season to season. One year we got quite a few and I kept putting out additional feeders. Eventually we had 4 quart size feeders and 2 gallon size feeders. The quarts got filled every day and the gallons every other day. We went through over 50 lbs of sugar that year. It was amazing to go outside and have around 100 hummingbirds buzzing around at the same time.

The next year, we barely got any. I think a breeding pair claimed the territory and chased the others away.

Steve
    They've been relatively consistent at my feeders. We moved into this place in 1992, and the numbers have been high since then. After the babies fledge, they've always gone through at least 20 cups a day.

Its so amazing to see them just sit there with all the others around. Ive always had feeders out, usually at least one but often two or three, and its just stressful to watch them defend the feeder. A pair or two will work endlessly to run any other birds off the feeder and it seems they use every ounce of energy they consume chasing off other birds (and bugs to boot).

To see so many of them just sitting there and even the few times when a second flies in and drinks from the same receptacle a perched bird is at is just wild.

Its really cool, and Im not a cheapskate, but the cost of sugar can sure get away from you feeding these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Its so amazing to see them just sit there with all the others around. Ive always had feeders out, usually at least one but often two or three, and its just stressful to watch them defend the feeder. A pair or two will work endlessly to run any other birds off the feeder and it seems they use every ounce of energy they consume chasing off other birds (and bugs to boot).

To see so many of them just sitting there and even the few times when a second flies in and drinks from the same receptacle a perched bird is at is just wild.

Its really cool, and Im not a cheapskate, but the cost of sugar can sure get away from you feeding these guys.
    Just after they return in the spring, a few of the males will get a bit bully, but after the bulk of them arrive, the bullies either give up or die of exhaustion. Yeah, sugar does get expensive, but I enjoy them so much. I don't go to the bars, so I consider feeding the critters justified. I also feed hulled sunflower chips, whole black oil seeds, thistle seed, raw suet, I make my own suet cakes, grape jelly for the orioles, and I feed the deer in the winter. There are months where I'm sure my feed bill is well over $200. Call me crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Marsh View Post
    Yeah, sugar does get expensive, but I enjoy them so much. I don't go to the bars, so I consider feeding the critters justified. I also feed hulled sunflower chips, whole black oil seeds, thistle seed, raw suet, I make my own suet cakes, grape jelly for the orioles, and I feed the deer in the winter. There are months where I'm sure my feed bill is well over $200. Call me crazy!
    Nothing crazy with that at all! While you have your birds and deer, we have our farm animals. At least you don't have vet bills or need to go out and trim hooves!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

It has been a down year for us also this year. The wife has 11 feeders this year, she has had as many as 20 in a busy year. She goes through 3-4 gallons of sugar water a day and fills the feeders in the morning and again at night. I am not sure how much sugar so far this year but she buys 25 pound bags at Sam's Club every week or two. They are fun to watch but I hate to think how much it costs me to feed all those little guys!