Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a new house: from foundation to finishing, and all the woodworking

Beautiful work Mreza, your craftsmanship really shows!
    I've been looking forward to this thread as well.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

thank you folks. I'll keep updating this thread. Lots to come...

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    thank you folks. I'll keep updating this thread. Lots to come...
    Hopefully you're writing a book on this that will guide future.....er....adventurers?

Jaw-dropping to say the least! Nice touch on the paneled arches and column work--especially the corbels and contrasting materials.

This past week we had our drive way poured:

h46.jpgh47.jpgh48.jpgh49.jpgh50.jpg

And while they were working outside I was working inside putting together the entry door I built last year.

e85.jpge86.jpg

Here I am gluing the lock/top/bottom rail and the mullion in one step (without panels) as it's a complicated glue up to do in one shot:

e87.jpg

e88.jpg

here it is after those pieces glued/sanded and ready to put the whole thing together; as posted in the entry door build thread the panels are floating with a 1/2" foam in between the two (layers of panel).

e89.jpge91.jpge90.jpg

Each of these pieces is too heavy to move solo, so I got the help of my FIL. Even for two moving the jamb and sides is not easy so we moved our bench very close to where the final place of the door is so that once the jamb is glued we simply slide it down from the bench to its place:

e92.jpge93.jpge94.jpg

And finally here it is standing with all the hardware installed, it opens and closes beautifully with a small tight gap all around:

e95.jpg

I'll be staining it soon and hopefully hanging the whole thing in the next few days...
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 09-02-2014 at 12:07 AM.

Very nice work. Love all the attention to detail.

And the spray-in foam.

VERY nice work/results!!!!
    Jerry

Thank you. Still lots of work to be done (by me)...

Beautiful house, but the most important question is "how big is that shop (garage)?"
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

Very nice to see someone else's home building project come together. We built our dream home a year ago and enjoyed the process. I admire your craftsmanship and I can appreciate working full-time on building a home and working full-time at a day job. Thanks for sharing!

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Well we have 3+1 car garage. I have added a wall between the 2-bay and the rest. The two bay will be the garage (for cars) and the other section which is the single (wide) bay plus an extra space at the back will be for the shop. The following shows the measurements and rough placement of machines. Not big enough but I think will be good.

shop.jpg

The entire house, not just the door, looks spectacular. Your work makes mine look pitiful and lame in comparison. I am not worthy.

Seriously - great work. I can learn something from how you assembled your door.

Finally, this Sat we installed the entry door. The weather was very good and I managed to get the stain on as well as a couple of coats of top coat but then the weather took a nose dive on Sunday and it has been too damn cold.

e96.jpge97.jpg

I was also working on a fire place mantel lately. Sorry I didn't take a lot of pics particularly I forgot to take a photo before I wrapped the posts but I have the older photos of the posts I made so you can guess how they look (after stain). Still have to add those 1/4" rounds to the panels and a few pieces around the tiles after the grout is done

f1.jpgf2.jpgf3.jpg

These are the posts for mantel which are the scaled down versions of those pillars I made for the arches.

f5.jpg

And here are the headers for the doors/windows with the return added/glued. The material had a slight variation in width so I am running them all over the table saw to get a consistent result:

tr20.jpgtr21.jpg

And I am staining some of the crown mouldings. I have decided to have them installed pre-finished as staining them up there (especially at 19' high ceiling) is not something I would like to do.

tr22.jpgtr23.jpg