Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putting wire in flex conduit before settling the line?

This is the right tool for working with MC;

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    Simplest solution is to get one of these -- especially if you think you'll be doing more than a couple of runs.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...3725/203872308

If you're only going to be doing a little bit, just kink the cable and carefully use wire cutters to cut through the jacket.
    The reviews are pretty poor on that tool.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

If you are stuck with three 90*'s, you could add some LB conduit connections that have a removeable plate so you can maneuver the corner with two straight runs. Here's a link to a 1/2" NMC LB fitting, although they are made for metal, etc.

Jim

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-...-CTN/100404083
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelsey View Post
    I sure wish I would have consulted you guys before starting ANY of my electrical runs!!

Since my shop is a barn all the electrical is exposed. If I would have known, all my 220 would have been MC cable. I think I actually spent more $$ (let alone time) using nonmetallic conduit, various fittings, rolls of wire, measuring,etc, than what using MC cable costs. So I'll run my 10/2 line with MC cable.

I might actually shock my wife and make something with my milled wood this year!

BTW: What's a good way to cut the metal sheathing without damaging the wire insulation?
    There is a tool for cutting MC armor without damaging the insulation, Seatek's Roto-Split is the best one, while anti-shorts (redheads) are not required w/ MC cable, it is good insurance and they usually supply a small bag of them w/ the cable, + use connectors listed for MC cable not NM "Romex" connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    If you are stuck with three 90*'s, you could add some LB conduit connections that have a removeable plate so you can maneuver the corner with two straight runs. Here's a link to a 1/2" NMC LB fitting, although they are made for metal, etc.

Jim

That's one of the variations that I've always heard called "pulling elbow". A Google search will even pull them up called a pulling elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelsey View Post
    BTW: What's a good way to cut the metal sheathing without damaging the wire insulation?
    With a sheathing cutter. Lowes stocks them, and most likely so does HD. You might have to ask or a "greenfield cutter."
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-22-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Get the Roto-split and not the Klein. Couple weeks ago I left mine at home and tried all the short cuts to not using it. Cut my hand requiring trip to doc and stitches.

I've got a Roto-Split coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post

Jim

Yep.Jim. That would be the way I'd do it! Much easier.

10. I've done a lot of construction over the years and ridgid conduit just looks better, it looks like you cared about what you are doing. Flex does not give that look, it looks like you don't care and it looks cheap. This is my opinion and I agree with it 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Vanden Bosch View Post
    I've done a lot of construction over the years and ridgid conduit just looks better, it looks like you cared about what you are doing. Flex does not give that look, it looks like you don't care and it looks cheap. This is my opinion and I agree with it 100%.

You want to use rigid conduit? That means threading pipe & higher costs, but I can guess that the post does not really mean rigid, which is a type of conduit like IMC, EMT & so on, EMT done well looks good, but MC cable is a staple of commercial construction & while it does not look as nice as EMT, it saves time & time is money.