Thread: Silver Maple form w/finial dyed

Silver Maple form w/finial dyed

13"x6" hollow form w/ finial trans tint dyed C&C welcome. I think after its done that the finial is a little heavy should have turned it down more .
    The finial is a pc of silver maple dyed black .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful piece Joseph. Can you expand on the finish process?
    I like the overall proportion between form and finial, but to me its' lines are somehow conflicting with the form.
    I'm having trouble verbalizing what I see. Like maybe the bottom of the bulbous section could be more of a reflection of the curvature of the small black dome section if that makes sense. Beatiful piece none the less. Light years ahead of where I am.

3. Very nice Joe! I have been fond of this use of angular top with round bottom on a form. I have done a couple that way myself, and what is intriguing to me is the contrast the angular top has with the rounded bottom of the form. Because this is something "different" than most folks are used to seeing, because it does not fit the classic southwest style form we all have become accustomed to, the form strikes some as a bit odd.

I think it has a beauty all its own because of the contrasting lines ..............now your color is just superb..........nice choice! Your finial in my opinion is certainly in the ballpark........I think it would have benefited from an additional feature like a cove at the base of it to match the cove angle in the top of the form, and as you mentioned perhaps just a tad smaller on the onion bulb..........overall, this is very nice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Very nice Joe! I have been fond of this use of angular top with round bottom on a form. I have done a couple that way myself, and what is intriguing to me is the contrast the angular top has with the rounded bottom of the form. Because this is something "different" than most folks are used to seeing, because it does not fit the classic southwest style form we all have become accustomed to, the form strikes some as a bit odd.
    Occurrences in other parts of the ancient world -- the general [carinated -- sharp angle at shoulder] shape in a multitude of proportions is absolutely characteristic of the ancient Near East, primarily Iraq (Uruk/Sumerians) and western Iran from at least 3500-2200 BC, though there are numerous examples in other areas and times, even in the Near East). My dissertation was on a ceramic tradition in central western Iran, where this was the 'signature' shape for much of the third millennium BC, with painted decoration on the shoulder. I also have worked with the Uruk/Sumerian pottery. (I've spent the last 40 years studying ancient Near Eastern pottery).

Joeseph
    I have to say that this piece is incredible. I realize that everyone has different opinions but I think you are spot on. Just beautiful. I would love to get a better understanding of the dyed process. I am still relatively new to turning and would like to give it a go. Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks for sharing.

Joseph, I have come back to look at this 3 times already, and each time I like it more. I love the shape of the form and the dye/finish job. At first glance I did not care for the finial, but it is really growing on me. The simplicity of the finial complements the form. I might have put more curve in the line up from the onion, but your choice might be the better one for this piece. Nice work!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    Nice work.

Occurrences in other parts of the ancient world -- the general [carinated -- sharp angle at shoulder] shape in a multitude of proportions is absolutely characteristic of the ancient Near East, primarily Iraq (Uruk/Sumerians) and western Iran from at least 3500-2200 BC, though there are numerous examples in other areas and times, even in the Near East). My dissertation was on a ceramic tradition in central western Iran, where this was the 'signature' shape for much of the third millennium BC, with painted decoration on the shoulder. I also have worked with the Uruk/Sumerian pottery. (I've spent the last 40 years studying ancient Near Eastern pottery).

Great information Robert.........I like your explanation of the culture and times it came from. Being a student myself of biblical history, I had seen pics of this type of form on a few occasions. Did not know it originated with the Iraqi/Iranian Sumarians. Certainly a legitimate form of pottery in Joe's turning and he did it well!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Scott , the powder dye was from Craft supply .if you do it use very little,very little you can always make it darker . Mixed with DA, put on with a brush .Its really hard to tell what you have till you put finish on it . I done turnings that haven't turned out well ..end grain gets real dark it really sucks up the dye when you brush it on . I'm still a beginner at the dye thing there are a few guy on here that are real good at it Steve is one, I have got alot of info with him.

Thanks Joeseph. I am going to give this a go this weekend. Would you mind sharing your finish process. Again, beautiful piece

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph M Lary View Post
    Scott , the powder dye was from Craft supply .if you do it use very little,very little you can always make it darker . Mixed with DA, put on with a brush .Its really hard to tell what you have till you put finish on it . I done turnings that haven't turned out well ..end grain gets real dark it really sucks up the dye when you brush it on . I'm still a beginner at the dye thing there are a few guy on here that are real good at it Steve is one, I have got alot of info with him.