Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fell off the deep end on this find

Fell off the deep end on this find

My wife keeps shaking her head at me on this one.

Won a few items from a local school district.

51 saws in total.

for the backsaws; (3) Disston's, and (6) EC Atkins. The Atkins have 3 with brass screws and 3 with steel. Also a blade for with no handle for both.

For the others, Disston and EX Atkins as well.

Disston's are all D8's and include; (2) 11 ppi 18", (12) 10 ppi 20" and (4) 7 ppi 22"
    EC Atkins include; (4) 8 ppi 20" and 7 7 ppi 22"

Got some miscellaneous newer saws and a some damaged older ones as well.

Besides the saws also got some Stanley 151 SW's, A Bedrock 607, some Stanley 8 and 10" braces with bits, and a 14" 1956 Delta Drill press.

My wife keeps telling me she is seeing way to much going into the shop and nothing coming out.

IMG_1162.JPGIMG_1168.jpgIMG_1164.jpgIMG_1163.jpgIMG_1167.jpgIMG_1166.jpg

Well that's a gloat and a half!

Are the saws in decent shape? I hear "handsaws" and "school district" and have shudders thinking about how we treated equipment in shop class . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

On the one hand, what a haul of saws. Congratulations!

On the other hand, I'm saddened to think that another school district probably abandoned shop class.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

that's pretty awesome! How does one "win" these?

Blog Entries
    The biggest you suck so far! Assuming the saw are in decent shape? Not knowing what you paid, You could sell half of them and buy your wife something nice

WOW!. Lot of nice looking saws there!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I taught shop for 2 years in an old school. There were 2 woodworking shops. One for the younger students,and one across the hall for the older ones. Being my first year,I taught the younger ones. The shop for older students had a whole toolroom full of Stanley transitional planes,wooden spokeshaves,old saws,etc. They must have been original to the period they were made,since the school was quite old.

One day,all the old,but hardly used tools,disappeared from that tool room,replaced by new ones. This was in 1963. Back then,I was not even aware that these old tools someday would have value to collectors. They likely were dumped somewhere. Too bad. At the time,though,we lived in a small apartment,and I would have had no place to keep a whole toolroom of tools anyway.And,I'd have had to wait quite a few years for them to become collectible.

You got lucky as your school apparently never bought new tools!!

I'm jealous, man!

How'd you get the lowdown on that type of a haul?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Wow...that's great. Great to see that many original tools in good original shape, too.

Blog Entries
    My wife keeps telling me she is seeing way to much going into the shop and nothing coming out.
    To paraphrase Thomas Edison, "it is time to find what your wife needs/wants and build it."

I made a bedside table for my wife. It turned out to be too small for all the things she wanted to keep on it. So another bigger one was built. She won't let me sell the first one.

As Matthew said, sell some off and show your wife the profit. That can help her to let you buy more tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My wife is also a craftsman,and she has a grasp(partially!!) on what my machines can(and have) done for her and her business.

Corey,
    Unfathomable haul. I cannot even dream of dreaming about such a pile of saws. The Atkins backsaws are far and few between so six in one go is not bad. And never mind the Stanley braces. I see you have at least three very nice looking Millers Falls braces in the lot. They're better than Stanley's.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Rust never sleeps
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets

Thanks everyone. Still going through them as some water go on them a couple of weeks ago so I am getting all the surface rust off.

The deal with my wife was I could purchase and keep a few and sell the others to recover the cost where anything over my purchase price I would buy her something nice (regardless I will be doing something nice for her as she puts up with tool addiction. Hello my name is Corey and I now have a saw problem!)

I have a set of floating shelves that I am finishing up for her right now so I can show her work is coming out of the shop.

In regards to the saws, they are in OK shape. 80% are good and about 20% have handle or blade issues. Most of the handles you can tell have had a number of hands on them throughout the years. Based on the etches I could see (around 50% of them were visible) I can date them to pre 1928 when Disston has the number inside of the "D" This changed after 1928.

I missed the big auction for 72 bedrock planes, most of them were 5 1/4's (this ended at $5k) but I did get two 607's that they had, both with 95+% of the japanning and a nice SW blade on one of them. Also got some SW 151's that are pretty clean with 50 to 70% japanning. (I'll post some pictures of these tonight). Also got a clean Delta 14" drill press for a steal, 3 phase motor but I have a nice 3/4 hp single phase I can change out on it.

I stumbled upon this looking at some state auction/bid sites. I am in the HVAC and Building Controls business and I get notifications of request for bids for work and there is also a notification for auctions that gets emailed out. Most of it is not of interest to me, but hit the gold mine on this one.

I can only hope to snag a couple of those from you in the classifieds. As a newbie woodworker, I'm currently on the hunt for hand saws.

In any case, very nice haul! Congrats on an excellent find.

Good for you Corey! Thats a sweet find.

Its a bummer to see one more school district selling off its woodworking shop. But Ill save that rant for a different thread.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-20-2014 at 7:06 PM. Reason: typo