View Poll Results: Which Jointer tables do you prefer?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Parallelogram

54 77.14%
  • Dovetailed ways

16 22.86%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parallelogram Jointer vs Dovetail ways? Which to choose??

I understand the points for parallelogram but I agree with them only when two average machines are compared. When you compare
    two premium examples, an OLD wedge bed has some advantages. Large infeed table adjustment wheel (aprox 20" or more)that can be spun down and even up to some degree. Much deeper cut capacity. The out feed table adjustment wheel
    with those large acme threads can be calibrated to easily move one thousandth up or down (why the mfgs didn't add a pointer and calibration marks is
    anybodys guess). Tables made of Mechanite that were often hand scraped. The drop down out feed table adjustment,besides adding other features, also makes it easy to adjust tables parallel. Such
    machines are not being made anymore but there are enough for everyone who can afford the best to have one. As for the ones that are worn out ...yeah ,I would avoid them. But I haven't seen any. I did come across one that the tables were way out of adjustment on...or so it seemed; someone had put a bunch of shims under both, when we removed them the
    machine was close to perfect, I'm thankful we didn't tear into "adjusting" before checking that!

After book research (i.e. with no practical experience) I opted for the parallelogram (G0490/CX-08) mainly because of that lack of experience. It's easy to set up and use - and that matters to me.

Besides, I can save up to add a helical cutter head at some future date - but a dovetail jointer with a helical cutter is always going to be a dovetail.

Buying new with the current choices that have been discussed, parallelogram is best. Now, if you came across an old American jointer that would most certainly win for ease and speed in the depth of cut adjustment! I don't think there is, or was a faster adjusting machine made! Hands never have to drop below tabletop. Martin makes a nice unit, old OR new!

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Buying new with the current choices that have been discussed, parallelogram is best. Now, if you came across an old American jointer that would most certainly win for ease and speed in the depth of cut adjustment! I don't think there is, or was a faster adjusting machine made! Hands never have to drop below tabletop. Martin makes a nice unit, old OR new!
    Something about this doesn't make sense. What's the difference between an old and new jointer? Dovetail is dovetail.
    No matter what you get, you still have to adjust it from under the table.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 08-23-2014 at 8:11 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Myk, you simply cannot compare a new jointer quality or durability by any of the current offshore makers to the quality of the older heavy cast iron machines made to work in a factory from yesteryear! Every parallelogram machine I've seen has a lever under the infeed table- not convenient. My American has a large 20"-ish hand wheel that is above the infeed table for adjusting - really slick and easy!!! I also have a newer Powermatic wedge that has the adjusting lever under the table- nice machine, but nowhere near as user friendly.
    That hopefully clarifies it a little.

Besides the cast iron being aged and the tables flat, there are huge design differences between the old Clement three toed design wedgebed used by American, Yates, Porter, Northfield, and others and new. In addition to the tables bolting to the wedges so they could be shimmed separately, the infeed wedge was geared to a wheel that made the table travel much more effortless. In addition there were multiple adjustments to correct the wedges front to back and side to side. Todays wedgebed has the wedge and table cast together and it just slides in ways. Really primitive in comparison. And cheap to make. If everything lines up, all is well. If not, you don't have an easy fix. Risk management. Dave

Myk you realty need to get out there and look the world over. to ajust the beds of the wadkin you shim the flats that ride horizontal and not the angled ways. BTW the Old UK machine don't have gib bars to fit the ways there hand scraped in.

rise and fall is at the end of the table and the handle folds and comes off to.

Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-23-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Myk, you simply cannot compare a new jointer quality or durability by any of the current offshore makers to the quality of the older heavy cast iron machines made to work in a factory from yesteryear!
    I do own a vintage Rockwell 8 " with hand wheels. Owned a Grizzly 8" with lever. Neither one being difficult to adjust, and get back to the original setting.
    I don't think I was comparing new vs old.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by rudy de haas View Post
    ... a dovetail jointer with a helical cutter is always going to be a dovetail.
    You say that as if the dovetail jointer design is inherently second rate; that hasn't been my experience, but I'm talking older iron since I don't have any experience with newer machinery.

Parallelogram versus dovetail jointer is about as useful a discussion as deciding which shade of white paint you want.

A good dovetail jointer is far better than a crappy parallelogram jointer, and vice versa.

Each machine has to be evaluated on the design and construction. If you pay for a quality machine, regardless of construction method you will have a machine that works properly, stays in alignment and will outlast your great grandchildren.

Prepare to pay real money for such a machine...............Rod.

Thanks so much everyone for contributing! As I have poured over your responses, and discussion, I have gotten a wealth of info and advice here and now feel I can make a very well informed decision! I appreciate all your helpful feedback! Good discussion! And to Rod Sheridan: I guess I won't be submitting my next question...(Note to self: DO NOT ask which shade of white paint is better!) Thanks again everyone! The "Creek" never disappoints!
    Last edited by Dave Kirby; 08-30-2014 at 11:04 AM.

I've had both and really couldn't careless which system I have. On a well made machine they both function flawlessly, on a cheap poorly made machine they will both likely be a headache. Currently my 16" jointer is parallelogram. I do prefer the handwheel adjustment of the tables over the lever but it is no impediment to dialing in the depth of cut I want, the jointer is break out tool not a precision tool.