Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Tips on Buying Used

Any Tips on Buying Used

I have an opportunity to buy a used, but refurbished Epilog laser with a 6 month warranty from a resell company. If anyone has tips on negotiating or things to look out for let me know. I can PM specific information if needed.

Thank you!

1 - research the company using any resources you can find. There have been reports here of less than honest resellers and you don't want to get mixed up with one of them.
    2 - rent a power meter and confirm how much power the tube is putting out.
    3 - If the tube is over a couple years old you should plan on replacing it soon.
    4 - bring materials you want to cut/engrave and have them demo the machine. Check back here to see if the performance seems to be correct for the machine

Everything Gary said..
    Referrals for the reseller (not FROM the reseller) would be good too.
    If you can't test it, move the decimal point or look at it as a
    collection of parts to decide a value.

Everything according to Gary. (if the re-sell company is based in Wisconsin post the name here)

Does the machine look like it was well maintained, clean, lens and mirrors in good order. Does the carriage move smoothly side to side and front to back?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

In addition to the solid advice above, I would offer a few thoughts regarding the actual engraving tests. Obviously try to test the specific materials and techniques you plan to use. These tests will essentially be qualitative in nature whereby you assess the quality visually. When I recently purchased my used VLS4.6, I also attempted to conduct some semi-qualitative tests. Since anodized aluminum (AA) suffers minimal overburn, etc., it is an excellent material to assess different aspects of beam quality (e.g. uniformity of beam size and power density across the total engraving area, etc.) as well as alignment of gantries and table height uniformity). The human eye and the visual processing in our brains are really best at comparing two things. Therefore, in my raster tests, I rastered a single small, high resolution 1"x1" image on the center and then at all 4 corners of an AA sheet which was the same size as my table (one could do it on 5 small sheets w/ one at center and 4 corners). I also rastered 5 different small font sizes beside each image. It was then easy to visually compare each raster since images were supposed to be identical. Legibility of the very small fonts tells a lot also.

As part of my vector tests, I engraved a grid across the same sheet of AA (which was the size of engraving table). I think spacing was 2" or so. Additionally, I vector engraved circles and squares of various sizes on the AA. Afterwards I used a caliper to ensure the size of the squares and circles were identical in x and y. I also used a graduated microscope to measure line width at various points around the edge of the AA sheet. Many of the issues which these tests reveal can be corrected with alignment, etc., but this helps one determine what might be needed.

Good luck. --Samuel
    VLS4.60 30W

The company is Usedlasers.com. I'm hoping to go look at the machine in the next week or so whenever they have it ready, so I can't tell you how the machine performs yet. The information they sent me says that it is fully refurbished and comes with a 6 month warranty. It would be my first laser, so any information or how

You should do a search on Sawmill for Access Usedlasers. That name appears among the testimonials on the Usedlasers.com site you listed above. Draw your own conclusions.
    Pete James
    Awardmasters
    40W G Weike

Just make sure that warranty is a manufactures warranty and not a dealer one. If it's a dealer then you are basically beholden to the dealer if anything goes wrong. See what you can do about making sure you got a new tube in there or at least 10 power testing results from the one installed. From what I've seen of epilog you should be able to get 50 percent off new pricing for a used one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregerson View Post
    From what I've seen of epilog you should be able to get 50 percent off list pricing for a used one.
    I modified that statement, Kevin... 50% off new pricing, based upon what most people actually pay, is approaching a real ancient or junker of a system. Or you're really lucky.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I modified that statement, Kevin... 50% off new pricing, based upon what most people actually pay, is approaching a real ancient or junker of a system. Or you're really lucky.

Ebay seems to be a whirlwind of finds. Though, we see even 14 year old systems go for 5-6k in good shape. Heck, we offer 3k on trade ins for those. Takes about 500-1500 in parts to bring them back to basically new condition unless they were used for PVC or had a good fire. In which case, depends on the damage done to the system.

As for the lucky part, depends on the seller, I've seen some hold out for what it's worth and some succumb to the cash in hand which works more often than not for systems that haven't really been maintained. I've rebuilt a number of these were purchased on the cheap side after being abused for years and years.
    Last edited by Kevin Gregerson; 08-20-2014 at 1:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rodenz View Post
    The company is Usedlasers.com. I'm hoping to go look at the machine in the next week or so whenever they have it ready, so I can't tell you how the machine performs yet. The information they sent me says that it is fully refurbished and comes with a 6 month warranty. It would be my first laser, so any information or how
    Avoid them like the plague, or the ebola virus! If you search here you'll find plenty of reasons to stay away.

Brian, I would like to send a PM to you but I don't know how. Could you contact me thru a PM? simplifysandy@aol.com
    Universal PLS 6.75 75 watt
    Trotec Speedy 300 60 watt

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Henry View Post
    Brian, I would like to send a PM to you but I don't know how. Could you contact me thru a PM? simplifysandy@aol.com
    Sandy, click once on Brian's name, click Private Message, type a title & message. Click Submit Message. Easy Peasy
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks everyone for the tips and heads up on the reseller. It would be awesome to save a few thousand, but the risk may out weigh the reward. Epilog mini 24 40 watt would seem to meet my needs well and allow for more in the future. Perhaps I just work with the distributor andb hone my negotiating skills.

How does the forum feel about buying used lasers from the manufacturer...rather one of the regional distributors associated with the brand? Anything specific to look at or be concerned about? Im looking at Epilog Mini 24 40 watt
    Last edited by Brian Rodenz; 08-28-2014 at 6:33 PM.