Thread: I have a sickness… I keep buying tools at auction

I have a sickness… I keep buying tools at auction

Just got home with a old Delta/Rockwell heavy duty Shaper, an old bullet motor Unisaw and 2 powermatic planers (16" and a 20"). Paid $833 out the door for all 4.

Unfortunately, the 16" planer appears to have "rolled" somehow - probably off the forks of a forklift driver that wasn't paying attention. During the roll, it bent the motor support (fixable), the belt guard (fixable) and bust the bolted on knife sharpener all to pieces (not fixable). Shame - 'cuz just that attachment alone is about $400 if you can find it.

The unisaw will sell fast I suppose. Last one I listed for $300 sold within a few hours.

The Powermatic 20" (model 220-B, 5HP, 3 phase) I will keep. It has a good knife sharpener attached. I will keep the shaper too. I think it has a 1/2" spindle, but I will have to look closer when I have the time.

Storage unit is now busting at the seams, so I suppose my sickness with have to subside for a while.

Todd

What's the deal, is it just the poor economy? Hard to see how you could go wrong when the stuff is dirt cheap.

Here in Spokane, a single-phase Unisaw is a $500-600 bill anytime.

The craigslist tool sharks would be asking $1000 minimum for the planers.

jack vines

I have the same disease. Went to an auction about a month ago and came home with $600 worth of stuff in my car and was cursing because I hadn't taken a truck. An 8" Grizzly jointer went for $90, a Unisaw with Unifence, Delta tenoning jig, 3 miter gauges, mobile base, and right and left versions of Dubby's sold for $325, and a Delta 14" band saw sold for $60. Of course, my wife didn't see it so much as missed opportunities, but just more stuff going into the garage.

I envy the old ladies, collecting Hummels figurines.

Having Arn in the blood is a heavyweight disease.
    At least you're not collecting anvils.

I am at the terminal stage of this disease, when I see machines that I envisage that "oneday I will be using it" and they carry Italian names, I just hit buy now button, hit first, think later...