Thread: I have been invited to be on the Versatex contractor advisory panel.

I have been invited to be on the Versatex contractor advisory panel.

Versatex has put together a panel with a dozen contractors from around the country who have done outstanding work with their product and I am honored to be included in that group. I was selected for my restoration work on historic homes.

I was first in contact with Versatex after trying to get expansion rate and solutions for poor center density information out of Azek and getting no response. I contacted Versatex and a call from the owner came in the same day and the information I needed was in an email when I got home that day. I have worked with them on several problems and helped them come up with new ideas such as the biscuits that they just came out with. It is unusual in this day and age for a company to be responsive to a small company such as mine. I have since toured the plant, and seen why their product has a more uniform consistency, and been asked to try new product.

The first meeting of the panel is in October in Maryland and I am looking forward to it.

If I may be of any assistance to anyone on this board with projects using this product please feel to contact me.

Larry

Congratulations Larry!

Now, what is Versatex?

VERSATEX offers cellular PVC trim board as a great alternative to wood. It's an other product like Azek....

Congratulations Larry. I've used their stuff as well as azek, permatrim, etc., several times.

Great to be chosen. Your work has always been exceptional so its completely understandable.

Seems they made a wise decision.

+1 - congratulations!

IIRC, weren't you or aren't you already some sort of advisor for Versatex?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

One thing I'd like to see some day is comprehensive comparisons between the various brands and types of PVC products. A comparison which includes differences in compositions, structural qualities, bonding methods, individual product weaknesses and strengths, expansion coefficients, where the products can be purchased (home center, lumber yard, etc.), colors they can be painted (I think dark colors are off limits sometimes or always?), warranties, stuff like that.

A nice article with an accompanying table would be helpful for a homeowner like me that hasn't used the stuff but is definitely interested.

And while everyone is congratulating Larry, I'm going to congratulate Versatex, as this move shows they are committed to their product and the industry.

Phil is right about there being differences is brands of PVC expanded foam. I use Versatex 4X8 PVC sheets to carve signs on my CNC router. This brand has a finer grain than some brands and carves almost as easily as HDU sign foam while being much stronger and more resistant to rock and hail damage. Here is a sign I did using Versatex for a band that plays traditional Irish folk music.

Black Market Haggis.jpg

Edit: If you are at all interested in Irish folk music, google "Black Market Haggis". They have a web page with sample tunes and they are also on Youtube. They are good. (Sorry for the diversion).
    Last edited by Art Mann; 08-21-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Congrats, they chose the right man! Do they have a way to keep the dust to of the jack screws on the shaper power feed? Its killer raising the power feed way up after milling PVC, its like somebody poured fine sand on all the jack screws!

Sorry, can't contain myself here.....: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Congrats, they chose the right man! Do they have a way to keep the dust to of the jack screws on the shaper power feed? Its killer raising the power feed way up after milling PVC, its like somebody poured fine sand on all the jack screws!
    Ya, use anti static guard from your wife's laundry. Doesn't hurt the machines and will stop the obnoxious buildup. Spray it on yourself as well.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Ya, use anti static guard from your wife's laundry. Doesn't hurt the machines and will stop the obnoxious buildup. Spray it on yourself as well.

Larry
    Thats a great tip.....we have a can of that! I'm going to try it next round. Now, can you tell me how to get my wife to do the laundry? I do all the washing, she does the folding and putting away...it's equatable but I'm busy!

Ya, buy a new red shirt and put it in with the whites. Worked for me......

Larry

Leaving an ink pen in your pants will also do wonders.