Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you tip on carry out food?

Blog Entries

Do you tip on carry out food?

Ok, we discussed tipping the oil change guy, but what about curbside carryout at Applebee's, or when you pick up at the local pizza joint, or you pick up Chinese for dinner? I always struggle with that. Usually I tip just under 20% on sit down (I round, usually down, to the nearest dollar from 20%), but on carry out from a sit down restaurant, I usually give half of that. Sometimes not. Pizza? Hit or miss on tipping for me. I feel more inclined to tip when they carry it out to the car for me with curbside carry out.
    NOW you tell me...

I've never tipped on carryout food. Pizza person, yes. If the pizza place has a delivery charge more than a dollar, I pick up the pizza instead. If they have a small delivery charge, I still tip the driver or sometimes ask if they get part or all of the delivery charge. If they do, I adjust their tip accordingly.

In a word...no. (I do, however, expect a tip for taking the time to answer your question.)
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    If anything requires true service (taking my order, delivering food to the table, checking up on me from time to time, etc.), I tip. If it involves something simple (like clearing the table of my plates when I'm done, but no service beyond that), I will usually leave a buck or two at the table. If they are only walking a bag to my car 10' outside of the restaurant, no tip as they already make at least minimum wage and it's part of their job.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I tip well.
    I'm welcome everywhere

at some point cheap becomes selfish

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    I tip well.
    I'm welcome everywhere

at some point cheap becomes selfish
    Do you tip at McDonald's?
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Where I worked, if I accepted a tip, I was subject to being fired! Probably as it should be.

That said some folks(especially elderly) are highly insulted if you won't accept a tip... kind of between a rock and a hard place sometimes
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 08-21-2014 at 12:00 PM.

I try to tip BUT do not offer to tip the policeman or policewoman , that are call bribing

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Where I worked, if I accepted a tip, I was subject to being fired! Probably as it should be.
    The State Fair I worked at for many years does not allow employees to accepts tips. Employees also could not accept free or reduced price food from any vendor. They actually had folks who tested if employees would accept tips.

I've started tipping the folks at the carryout pizza place, just a couple bucks to let them know I appreciate their pizza.
    Ed: and their hard work. I feel like I drove over to pick it up and watched while they worked on my order, so I saved on tipping the delivery driver, I'm going to give some of that back to the folks actually doing the work. I think they appreciate it too. Maybe they will even remember someday and throw on a couple extra pepperoni's. LOL
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 08-22-2014 at 9:16 AM.

I'm amused when I see tip jars in places like an ice cream store. The employee's job is to scoop ice cream and place it in cone, cup or tub, hand it to you, then take your money. I should offer a gratuity for that?

And tipping at the carryout pizza joint for a good pizza? It's their JOB to make good pizza in the first place, so you'll come back for more. Which is job security. THAT should be their incentive to make a decent pizza.

I think it's going a bit too far when we start tipping people for no real reason other than they bothered to show up for work.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I may sound like an old crank, but I generally don't tip anyone who doesn't have a necessity for it. Wait staff and delivery guys are about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    when you pick up at the local pizza joint, or you pick up Chinese for dinner?
    Never. I worked at a couple of pizza joints and I would have never expected a tip on a carry-out. These days, with the "everyone gets a trophy" attitudes, who knows what people would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I feel more inclined to tip when they carry it out to the car for me with curbside carry out.
    I don't do the "Curbside To Go" thing, mainly because I would feel obliged to tip and I'm cheap. On the rare occasions I have gotten take-out from a bar and grill type place I go in and wait by the register. However, if I go to a drive-in that has carhops like Sonic I will tip a token amount, usually 50¢ - $1.00 depending on how much of a pain the order was to carry and how friendly they are.

If I go in and sit down where there is a server 20% is my baseline for decent service: Be friendly, be knowledgeable, be attentive but not smothering. It can go up or down from there depending on the server's behavior. If the place is buffet, where they only fill your drink and clear your dishes I usually do $1.00 per person in my party, sometimes more if they are really attentive. Many years ago I used to frequent a pizza buffet place where the lunch waitress was a superstar (She worked Monday -Thursday lunch by herself). She was constantly moving and did everything with a smile and easy-going charm. If it was really busy and she still kept up with everything I would sometimes leave a tip larger than my bill.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I never tip at a carry out place.

At a restaurant, I tip really well for good service and you need to earn it. BUT, if I get bad service or bad attitude the tip is adjusted accordingly. I do not tip for just being there.

At a sit down I'll tip pretty good 20% or better is the service is good, but pick up hardly ever, sometimes I'll throw the loose change in the tip jar. But what I really hate is tipping the post person or the barber they both get a good salary for there work and the barber probably pockets 30% or more tax free. My barber charges $14 bucks for 15 min work and I tip him 2 bucks I don't know why i guess because its expected so most people tip him a couple so he gets $16 bucks a cut lets say 20 cuts a day and I know most days he does more. That s $320 a day avg x 5= $1600 a week x48 weeks (say he takes a month vac)= $76800 a year and I'm tipping him. I made half that working full time before retirement.Oh and what does the post person make?
    Ok OK I know the barber has expenses but mine works out of his house his shop is attached so its a write off.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander