Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you tip on carry out food?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    At a sit down I'll tip pretty good 20% or better is the service is good, but pick up hardly ever, sometimes I'll throw the loose change in the tip jar. But what I really hate is tipping the post person or the barber they both get a good salary for there work and the barber probably pockets 30% or more tax free. My barber charges $14 bucks for 15 min work and I tip him 2 bucks I don't know why i guess because its expected so most people tip him a couple so he gets $16 bucks a cut lets say 20 cuts a day and I know most days he does more. That s $320 a day avg x 5= $1600 a week x48 weeks (say he takes a month vac)= $76800 a year and I'm tipping him. I made half that working full time before retirement.Oh and what does the post person make?
    Ok OK I know the barber has expenses but mine works out of his house his shop is attached so its a write off.
    I tip my barber $3 on a $14 haircut, which is crazy as he owns the shop and has at least a dozen lady stylists working for him. But I get a nice relaxed 30 minute haircut and we get to talk golf and Jeeps. He owns two Jeeps, and at 70 years, just shot a 40 in his league, and shot a 38 first time out in the season.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-22-2014 at 9:57 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I tip my barber $3 on a $14 haircut, which is crazy as he owns the shop and has at least a dozen lady stylists working for him. But I get a nice relaxed 30 minute haircut and we get to talk golf and Jeeps. He owns two Jeeps, and at 70 years, just shot a 40 in his league, and shot a 38 first time out in the season.
    I give my barber a $20 bill for a $14 haircut and tell him to keep the change. I never thought this was really out of line even though he owns his own shop. I guess I really don't know what that has to do with giving him a tip anyway.

Tipping a $50 an hour barber is a little too much like tipping my dentist, or tipping the nurse at the doctors office for not having to stab me twice to find a vein.

And ironically, the nurse could likely use the extra money...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Tipping a $50 an hour barber is a little too much like tipping my dentist, or tipping the nurse at the doctors office for not having to stab me twice to find a vein.
    I want to know what barber is making $50 an hour unless they are doing $50 haircuts? The median barber salary in Anaheim, CA is only $32,000 a year. Yes, they might able to do four $15 haircuts an hour, but I have never been to a hair cutting place that is that busy all day long. Most service places will charge at least double what they pay the employees to cover overhead.

I don't know why people think deducting business expenses is some great thing. The business owner is only saving whatever taxes they might pay on that expense. It still costs real money for that expense. If a barber works from home they are legally allowed to only deduct the expenses of the space used for the business. The only time business deductions really help is if people deduct things they shouldn't which is called tax evasion. Small business owners do it all the time like using company vehicles as personal vehicle, or paying personal expenses and claiming it as a business expense. The IRS frowns on small business owners who have a business vehicle, but don't own a personal vehicle and don't list any personal use. It would probably be difficult to convince an auditor that you walk, bike, get a ride, or a take a bus for all personal transportation.

I worked for a small business where the owner was paying almost all personal expenses from the business. The business was pretty near broke because of it. An IRS auditor would have had a field day.

I don't know any wealthy barbers, either. It's almost like a charity job if the barber works by themselves.

The downtown stylists around here make decent money, but they have to have their own book of business (and develop it) and each time they are promoted at their job, their price goes up. I cut my own hair, so no issue with that, but my wife wrestles with the issue of whether to pay ever increasing prices to a favorite stylist (who might charge $60 or more for a haircut and then expect a tip) or to take a risk and go to a place that has younger stylists who might not do as good of a job.

But barbers around here are all pretty much subsistence (and must really love their jobs) unless they've got several other barbers working for them.

Funny...this is the second forum where this exact topic has come up today.

Anyhow, generally NO, unless it's a particularly big order or something like that. I think the US is tip crazy. I'd love to see tips just go away. Charge what you need to charge, pay your staff an appropriate wage, and get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'd love to see tips just go away. Charge what you need to charge, pay your staff an appropriate wage, and get on with it.
    I've repeatedly said to family and friends if I ever open a restaurant, I'm going to pay the people a fair, decent wage, have signs on every table that say "NO TIPPING, PLEASE", and I'd hold my staff accountable for providing quality services to the customers. The way that industry works to me is crazy. How you can pay someone $2.00 per hour plus tips seems like an easy way for someone to skirt the minimum wage laws all other businesses have to deal with.

One restaurant we frequent goes through wait staff like mad. We probably eat there twice a week and in the last 3 years, I couldn't count the number of people that have worked there. It's a small Mom & Pop place. If I worked for $2.00 per hour plus tips, I wouldn't make it either. How's my pay (and time) relative to the food you cooked and the marketing you've done for your business? I didn't have anything to do with your marketing, so if you didn't spend money to get people in the door, I'm the one who gets punished. Makes no sense to me.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I tip.............Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I've repeatedly said to family and friends if I ever open a restaurant, I'm going to pay the people a fair, decent wage, have signs on every table that say "NO TIPPING, PLEASE", and I'd hold my staff accountable for providing quality services to the customers. The way that industry works to me is crazy. How you can pay someone $2.00 per hour plus tips seems like an easy way for someone to skirt the minimum wage laws all other businesses have to deal with.

One restaurant we frequent goes through wait staff like mad. We probably eat there twice a week and in the last 3 years, I couldn't count the number of people that have worked there. It's a small Mom & Pop place. If I worked for $2.00 per hour plus tips, I wouldn't make it either. How's my pay (and time) relative to the food you cooked and the marketing you've done for your business? I didn't have anything to do with your marketing, so if you didn't spend money to get people in the door, I'm the one who gets punished. Makes no sense to me.
    There was a restaurant in town here that did just that, Of course they are no longer in business. Not sure the 2 facts are related,but...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm amused when I see tip jars in places like an ice cream store. The employee's job is to scoop ice cream and place it in cone, cup or tub, hand it to you, then take your money. I should offer a gratuity for that?
    Tipping jars are where I dump the coins I get back in change as I hate carrying change around. Paper is fine...metal is not.

But otherwise, I tip at non fast-food sit-down restaurants and the pizza guy who delivers and that is about it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I tip at "sit-down" restaurants when I go to pick up a take-out order I phoned in. Understand - these are places where we also go for a sit-down meal.

The tips on the to-go orders end up in the pockets of the kitchen staff.

We both worked in restaurants while in college. Maybe I have a soft spot; but those people are not on easy street by any means..............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I've said this before.....When I see a "tip jar", I tip the jar.....over!

T.I.P. To Insure Promptness / As in: handing the Maitre d" some cash to be seated quickly.

When did the original concept of tipping morph into it's current form and what entity or type of business does it now benefits most.

Why were / are restaurants ever allowed to pay less that minimum wage .... kind of defeats the intention.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'd love to see tips just go away. Charge what you need to charge, pay your staff an appropriate wage, and get on with it.
    There are problems with that approach. For most mom & pops, if they pay a great server in the same wage range as a so-so server then eventually they're not going to have any great servers. They'll go somewhere else where they can get compensated for their outstanding efforts.

If you're going to include all of the server's compensation in the cost of the meal should someone getting takeout pay the same price as someone getting the sit-down service?

By allowing tipping you allow the server to set their own wage. I've known outstanding servers who often made over $200 a night just in tips, and that was back in the 1980s. Who is going to pay someone $200 a day to serve food?
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    By allowing tipping you allow the server to set their own wage. I've known outstanding servers who often made over $200 a night just in tips, and that was back in the 1980s. Who is going to pay someone $200 a day to serve food?
    I doubt that the servers made $200 in a night because they were outstanding but they made $200 because the customers were willing to tip , 200 - 8 =$25 per hour, a busy restaurant [ every table occupied ] could bring more than this BUT if a server only wait on one table per hour then tips will not amount to much