Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gosh! Didn't Know It Was That Important

Blog Entries

Gosh! Didn't Know It Was That Important

If you asked me about the angle of the bevel on my tools I wouldn't be able to give an exact answer.

Most of the time if a blade needs to be set up to regrind the bevel the tool that came from Lee Valley to measure bevel angles in five degree increments is sufficient.

Picture 1.jpg

But now for those who feel knowing to the closest gnats eye lash measurement of angle, this new device is available for a limited time:

Picture 1.jpg

http://www.woodpeck.com/ottanglegaug...&rid=237522995

Sometimes there are too many tools to buy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well, for one-third the price you could get one of these to check bevel angles and hav e tool you can use for lots of other things besides. http://www.amazon.com/Shinwa-Japanes...P8PXJCWH3Y5WZK
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Well, for one-third the price you could get one of these to check bevel angles and hav e tool you can use for lots of other things besides. http://www.amazon.com/Shinwa-Japanes...P8PXJCWH3Y5WZK
    I have an old one of those by General tool or Craftsman, (can't remember).

It only cost a couple of bucks from a yard sale.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    That is exactly the tool that came to mind when I thought about it, too. That woodpeckers thing is way over the top. I know the power tool guys love the woodpecker stuff that comes out, but I cringe every time I see an aluminum "tool".

Pshhhh...that's so lame, I mean it measures in degrees....real men measure angles in radians. I like to hone most my edges to an angle of pi/6 radians.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Pshhhh...that's so lame, I mean it measures in degrees....real men measure angles in radians. I like to hone most my edges to an angle of pi/6 radians.
    That's pretty steep! (well, for chisels)

My work is precise, so I bought a protractor that measures in minutes and seconds. I use a pocket microscope to read it. Still cost less that $45
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    That's pretty steep! (well, for chisels)
    Its 30 degrees....do you need to review your unit circle or do you consider 30 degrees steep for chisels? :-)
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-21-2014 at 2:17 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Its 30 degrees....do you need to review your unit circle or do you consider 30 degrees steep for chisels? :-)
    Oh, snap!
    I like to grind the primary at 5pi/72 before honing at pi/6.

Ummmmmmm not to be an even bigger geek than I've already been in this thread, but errrr that's 12.5 degrees Steve. I think you mean 5pi/36?
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-21-2014 at 3:05 PM.

Yeah, it's pretty steep. I keep mine shy of that by a little bit. good starting point for plane irons, though.

Interesting. I really wasn't sure if you considered that steep of if you had converted wrong. I like my bench chisels (which are 01) right at 30 degrees and sometimes will even raise my narrow ones up a degree or 2 from there. I used to keep them lower than that but I found that they didn't hold up as well as I would like to chopping when below 30
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-21-2014 at 2:59 PM.

Ummmmmmm not to be an even bigger geek than I've already been in this thread, but errrr that's 12.5 degrees Steve. I think you mean 5pi/36?
    I am shamed.
    I will have to do some degree/radian conversions and SOHCAHTOA before supper.

Blog Entries
    Okay, I admit- I think it's a cool tool, if not a bit of a luxury item. Most of my tools I know what I have them ground at, but I sharpen a lot for other folks and it would be a nice quick way to check a bevel angle, especially on power planer blades that I have found come in varying angles. I recently started sharpening those for folks with the Tormek. (Works great, by the way, with their planer blade jig).

I have that Japanese protractor thing... Somewhere... Deep in a drawer. I don't really like it, although mine does not have as good of a scale as the one Sean linked to. That one seems a bit easier to read than mine.

As as for aluminum tools, the Woodpecker tools are thick and well-made. A flimsier aluminum tool maybe not, but a quality one works equally well and doesn't rust. Question to ponder- does aluminum move more or less than steel with temperature changes? I don't know the answer to that. I would suspect more, so perhaps if doing machine work down to the microns an aluminum tool may have disadvantages, but for guys like me scoring a line and then cutting as close as possible to it, aluminum works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    I am shamed.
    I will have to do some degree/radian conversions and SOHCAHTOA before supper.
    Well I should confess, I didn't remember a lot of this stuff until recently, but I randomly decided to register for some undergraduate math courses this coming year (I work in higher ed so its free for me), so I've been reviewing a lot of basic trig and such as of late in preparation.