Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gosh! Didn't Know It Was That Important

Blog Entries
    ... But for $50 I am probably out. I would rather buy a chisel or other tool for that.

All these cheaper solutions for the problem Woodpeckers has solved...but, guys, none of them are anodized in bright red! That adds huge precision to your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Interesting. I really wasn't sure if you considered that steep of if you had converted wrong. I like my bench chisels (which are 01) right at 30 degrees and sometimes will even raise my narrow ones up a degree or 2 from there. I used to keep them lower than that but I found that they didn't hold up as well as I would like to chopping when below 30
    I haven't seen any that really hold up and fail super slowly below 30 degrees, either. I've got a set or two somewhere around 25 degrees, though, and when it comes down to it, when I use the washita, the last angle might be somewhere around 30 once they're honed a couple of times.

I've used one of the cheap Generals forever, and it's good enough for the job. I cut the long leg off shorter because it interfered with something, but don't remember what.

I like looking at the red stuff, but have never purchased any. Some well thought out, but sometimes high priced, jigs, that can be the basis for some hand tool assistants!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I thought it was red so you could find it in the shavings...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    All these cheaper solutions for the problem Woodpeckers has solved...but, guys, none of them are anodized in bright red! That adds huge precision to your work.
    Does that mean I have to get my sliding bevel anodized red before I check the angle with it and the protractor I used in high school geometry class some (cough) years ago?

Blog Entries
    If you want a protatrctor I'd buy this one

I got mine about 1 month ago and it's like a light year ahead of the cheap (not much cheeper!) stuff like that one on amazon.

I have the most critical analytic for measuring the bevel angle.

Does it cut?
    Carry on.

Doesn't cut?
    Grind sum mo.

Since I got the Batty gauge for setting the grinder rest, the protactor hasn't come out of the "sharpen" box.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Red cars are also faster than blue ones. In a race, woodpecker would beat Rockler on the track.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    I randomly decided to register for some undergraduate math courses this coming year (I work in higher ed so its free for me), so I've been reviewing a lot of basic trig and such as of late in preparation.

CG,

You are a far better man than I. Personally I would rather have needles in my eye.

Besides everyone knows you certainly don't need math for woodworking!!! …ummm...... wait a minute, ....maybe this explains why the drawer openings in my projects that are supposed to be "progressively decreasing in size in a proportional way" from the bottom to the top of the case never end up even close.

Maybe I should reconsider; what are those courses you're taking again? Shouldn't there be an app for this? Please say yes !!

Cheers, Mike

You laugh, but I was thinking about how much harder it would be to misplace a bright red tool (I can never find my General one when I want it).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Maleski View Post
    You laugh, but I was thinking about how much harder it would be to misplace a bright red tool (I can never find my General one when I want it).
    If you have a lot of the Woodpecker tools, everything is bright red.

My shop may be a mess. But it is an organized mess. Many of my small measuring devices have a home (small drawer) of their own.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I taught math for 1 year,but I can assure you that I have forgotten everything I ever knew about algebra,trig,and the rest!!

And,I NEVER have checked the
    angles I grind at I just do it by eye.