Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SawStop New Sliding Table

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Hoehn View Post
    It took them 6 years to develop a sliding table attachment that doesn’t look all that different from what is already out there?
    To be fair, if a new car company came along with a new car that took 10 years to develop would you be shocked if it had four wheels, doors, and a steering wheel? Function can determine form factor.

With that said, I have zero intention of paying for one of these and imagine it will be the pro shop that pick one up.

I'm willing to compromise more than Jack. A heavy AL extrusion for the slider is just fine in my world. It does need eccentric bushings to establish the quadrant angles but that can be done and adjusted by the operator. An outrigger isn't really possible here as the saw itself isn't heavy enough to balance much weight hanging off the side but a hardwood saw that handles panels 36x36 will deal with most cabinet needs. A rip fence that moves forward and back should be mandatory for a slider, even a short stroke. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Not sure how you'd add a SS to a scoring blade in addition to the main one if they'd done a format-style slider.
    Hi, a simple mechanical linkage would be possible, the scoring saw only needs to move a few mm...............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, a simple mechanical linkage would be possible, the scoring saw only needs to move a few mm...............Rod.
    I really don't think there is any reason to add breaking capabilities to the scoring blade. Have you ever seen a scoring blade injury? Not nearly the catastrophic type injury that the SS was made to prevent.

5. Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I really don't think there is any reason to add breaking capabilities to the scoring blade. Have you ever seen a scoring blade injury? Not nearly the catastrophic type injury that the SS was made to prevent.
    I have. The shop I worked in had an SCMI and an Altendorf 10" sliders. The scoring blade was not covered by the guard and it was very easy to forget about it if you didn't keep your focus on what you were doing. The guy went to brush away some dust and two of his fingers when across the scoring blade.

As for the price of the Sawstop slider I think it's about $500 to much but they feel the market will support it just as Kreg did when they over priced their beaded face frame setup and eventually ended up lowering the price.

As for no detents if I remember correctly none of the production sliders I ever cut on had detents for the fence to cut angles so in reality your not really missing anything by not having them on the Sawstop version. I personally have the Jessum sliding table attachment on my Ridgid TS3650 and have never missed not having detents. I have crosscut up to 42" wide sheet stock up to 96" long with no problems with it.

Several years ago, I thought it would be the cat's meow to add a sliding table to my Uni-saw. Well I bought one -- can not recall if it was either the "mid-sized" Exaktor or an Excaliber. Worked it or awhile, but I became frustrated with the amount of floor space it consumed and the time it took to remove/replace the fence. Even though there was a 90 degree stop for the fence, I never trusted it -- the stop just did not seem to be repeatable. Finally I took it off and it is still "in storage" for the Uni-saw's next owner.

I will say that I could cut some good sized plywood pieces (3/4"x36"x72") with it and without any problems. The outrigger leg supporting the table were sturdy and the table did not sag. But just not enough use to really justify keep it on the saw.

After looking at a K-3 Hammer at the Portland wood show one year, it dawned on me: to be really effective a table saw must be designed and built for a slider to make effective use of a sliding table. A cabinet saw with an add-on slider just really does not fit the bill.

I think if a saw owner is considering one of the after-market add-on sliders, find a show room where you can carefully examine one and what is involved in removing/replacing the fence, etc. Then carefully and realistically ask if it will fit your needs.

As always, your experiences might vary.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    saws stop will never make a real slider as it would never be able to stop an 18" blade and i am sure it is limited to the smaller hp saws for the amateur market.
    The number of saws shipping with 18" blades is tiny tiny tiny. Even so there is real reason that the brake couldn't be redesigned to work on an 18" blade. You're comparing a ~$5k sawstop to industrial saws in the $25k price range, thats just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    ...to be really effective a table saw must be designed and built for a slider to make effective use of a sliding table. A cabinet saw with an add-on slider just really does not fit the bill....
    This ^^^^....

No opinion on the SS except that one thing pops into my mind: By the time you add the sliding attachment to one of these, are you not getting close to price territory of a small Euro-built slider that does have a frame table, outrigger, scoring, and all that stuff? It could make sense for someone who already owns a cabinet saw but I wonder for the guy who wants to buy it all, new.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Jack, I think you have some valid points and at the same time are making unreasonable comparisons.
    It is like comparing a 1/2 pickup with a semi (sawstop vs a slider with 18" blade). Forget about safety and brake, the saw is better than any "cabinet saw" on the "market" (I mean these days) of the same size, as simple as that. As for the fence, again it is not a bad fence, at least it is no worse that what General or biesemeyer. It is not a Unifence style (short/tall or sliding) but there are pluses and minuses to each.
    Now to the sliding attachment, I totally agree they are never anywhere close to a true slider and as the Sawstop guy says it is not meant to handle full sheets either. I guess it is just in place of a cross-cut sled.

Not to jack this thread too much but I just remembered an interesting remark from one of our territory reps at the IWF show. He told me that almost every shop he goes into that has one of these, they have deactivated the cartridge-device and just run it like a regular cabinet saw. A lot of shops store their lumber outside, it gets wet, they go to cut it and "pow!". In a shop, time is money and they don't want to be fiddling with changing the cartridges or having it go off all the time. I thought that was interesting.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Jack is comparing his PK as a short stroke to the SS slider. He likely has less $$ in the PK than what the SS would cost. My Whitney 77 slider with lots of extra miter gauges and stops was < $1500 rehabbed. Not to turn this into another new vs old but the comparison is not really pickup vs semi. My point is there should be a market for a true short stroke slider, SS or MM or anyone who will build one. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Not to jack this thread too much but I just remembered an interesting remark from one of our territory reps at the IWF show. He told me that almost every shop he goes into that has one of these, they have deactivated the cartridge-device and just run it like a regular cabinet saw. A lot of shops store their lumber outside, it gets wet, they go to cut it and "pow!". In a shop, time is money and they don't want to be fiddling with changing the cartridges or having it go off all the time. I thought that was interesting.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    The safety device(s) of the SS appeal mostly, I think, to shop schools and the hobbyists. The pros may simply like the overall design of the SS because is IS a very nice cabinet saw even without the hotdog saver.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    The number of saws shipping with 18" blades is tiny tiny tiny. Even so there is real reason that the brake couldn't be redesigned to work on an 18" blade. You're comparing a ~$5k sawstop to industrial saws in the $25k price range, thats just ridiculous.
    Couldn't agree more five grand for a saws stop is ridiculous
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    I'm not surprised by this Eric. I'd heard there was an insurance discount for an employer to use a sawstop. Once the insurance industry finds out that in the real world many are deactivated the discount may disappear. I'm sure a lot of pro shops don't use guards either. None of the ones I worked in did.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I bought a new Hammer slider last winter, on their promotion, got the 79" stroke and 48" wide table, most of the options, with freight was a little under 7000$ The saw is 12" with a 4hp 220 motor. The shorter stroke saws are less expensive, so you don't need to compare a SS to a 10 hp 10 1/2' stroke slider. Hammer makes comparable size saws, for comparable money. Don't think MM is in that market.