Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SawStop New Sliding Table

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I bought a new Hammer slider last winter, on their promotion, got the 79" stroke and 48" wide table, most of the options, with freight was a little under 7000$ The saw is 12" with a 4hp 220 motor. The shorter stroke saws are less expensive, so you don't need to compare a SS to a 10 hp 10 1/2' stroke slider. Hammer makes comparable size saws, for comparable money. Don't think MM is in that market.
    Yes, I think Hammer does make a 31" and 48" slider that can rest flush with the front of the table and not have the carriage stick out. Would be similar to SS in build. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    Couldn't agree more five grand for a saws stop is ridiculous
    25K for a slider for the home hobbyist is even more ridiculous. BUT I guess you could go pick up a sheet of plywood with a semi if you could afford it. You are comparing apples and grapefruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    25K for a slider for the home hobbyist is even more ridiculous. BUT I guess you could go pick up a sheet of plywood with a semi if you could afford it. You are comparing apples and grapefruit.

Payed $100 for my 18" short slider TS. thats 1/50 of the price of a sawstop. may have put $400 into it

this is what it looked like after a can of rattle paint I would show a video of how it works and what makes a good dimension saws but i don't want it embarrass sawstop description of a dimension slider with a design that is from the 1920s. One got to ask what research they did?? this is only one sample too and there are plenty. Dave's right they would be alone in the market if they did do a real slider for timber

Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-26-2014 at 3:49 PM.
    jack
    English machines

this is what it looked like after a can of rattle paint
    I need to get me some of that rattle paint!

Jack does understate his ability to restore. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Jack does understate his ability to restore. Dave
    An understated understatement.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Yes, I think Hammer does make a 31" and 48" slider that can rest flush with the front of the table and not have the carriage stick out. Would be similar to SS in build. Dave
    I just drooled all over my keyboard at the Hammer site checking out their table saws. They are cheaper and better IMO compared to SS. I always thought I would get a SS but now I'm not so sure....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Not to jack this thread too much but I I just remembered an interesting remark wouldfrom one of ourterritory reps at the me that almost every shop he goes into that has one of these, they have deactivated the cartridge-device and just run it like a regular cabinet saw. A lot of shops store their lumber outside, it gets wet, they go to cut it and "pow!". In a shop, time is money and they don't want to be fiddling with changing the cartridges or having it go off all the time. I thought that was interesting.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    As a Sawstop owner, user, and long time wood shop professional, I must say this statement doesn't pass the sniff test. No shop is using lumber so wet that it would activate the brake.
    Lumber is any shops biggest expense next to labor, no one is storing their material out in the rain.

curious if anyone has measured the moisture content of a wiener.
    jack
    English machines

I don't know,Jack ,but that saw stop stuff is no good for food prep.

curious if anyone has measured the moisture content of a wiener.
    A wet one???

Copied and paste from a google search: Water: According to the same USDA guidelines — which, fun fact, also apply to bologna — hot dogs can contain no more than 10 percent water. So rest assured you’re getting at least 90 percent of the, uh, good stuff?

Does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I just drooled all over my keyboard at the Hammer site checking out their table saws. They are cheaper and better IMO compared to SS. I always thought I would get a SS but now I'm not so sure....
    I went from a General 650 cabinet saw to the Hammer B3 Winner with the 49" crosscut capacity and would never go back to a cabinet saw now............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    As a Sawstop owner, user, and long time wood shop professional, I must say this statement doesn't pass the sniff test. No shop is using lumber so wet that it would activate the brake.
    Lumber is any shops biggest expense next to labor, no one is storing their material out in the rain.
    As someone who works in manufacturing, If it is true that workers in businesses are disabling safety devices, several things are obvious.
    IMO
    1) You have employees that should be fired. That's just crazy to disable safety equipment.
    2) If it's not being caught and corrected, the management is lacking and should be replaced.
    3) If the owners are ok with the practice, people should not be wanting to work there.
    4) Storing Lumber outside in the rain ? Really, don't think the business will survive long.

If he put the SS in just to get the insurance break, he/she is unethical. First injury they will get ripped a new one as they should be.

The thread is supposed to be about the new slider attachment.
    Last edited by Keith Hankins; 08-27-2014 at 12:28 PM.

According to Jessem Tools, they are re-designing their original Mast R Slide 7500 (sliding table attachment for table saws) and will re-introduce late this year. They state that it will be designed to work with all table saws (unlike the Sawstop which they say is limited in its applicability). Their last pricing was around $550 vs. Sawstop'a $999.

JessEm has been saying that for years now...