Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser suggestions (anodized aluminum)

Laser suggestions (anodized aluminum)

I manufacture small anodized aluminum components. I would like to be able to laser mark these items with my company name/logo.

The laser would be used for nothing but anodized aluminum. I have no need to cut/engrave acrylic, card stock, etc. The location is a home office with minimal space, which pretty much rules out most of the Chinese machines due to their larger footprint, and all that I've seen require a chiller component (additional space requirements). Quality is also a concern. I'd much rather pay more for something with quality components & support that I'm not going to have to fiddle with, software that works, etc.

While I haven't received any quotes yet, I'm assuming that outsourcing this work would prove cost prohibitive due to the small quantities that I deal with at any given moment. I anodize these parts in different colors as the need arises, so I'm usually working with batches of 10-30 parts at a time. They sell for relatively cheap ($25), so the added cost of laser marking would likely drop my profit margin below a comfortable level. If I could get them marked for $1 - $2 a piece, it would be doable, but I think that's a pipe dream given the quantities I work with (and maybe even large quantities).

The investment in a laser engraver is considerable, but over time I think I would come out ahead as the machine slowly pays for itself.

So, I've been looking at the Epilog machines, namely due to their track record, small footprint, no chiller needed, and ease of use (I'm already versed in Corel). I'd like to keep the budget under $8000, which puts me in the Zing 16 x 12, 30 watt realm (new), or a used Mini.

My questions are as follows:

1. Are there any machines out there in my price range and size requirement I may be missing?
    2. Given what this machine would be used for, would there be any reason to go with the Mini over the Zing? Engraving speed is not really a concern.
    3. Is 30 watts enough to engrave Type II anodizing (no hardcoat)?
    4. Additionally, is an exhaust system necessary when engraving anodized aluminum?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I would suggest that you have a look at Rayjet by Trotec.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Trotec Rayjet 50 will suit this well, but I'm not sure if it comes within budget.

I almost bought one to produce my products, (technical drawing artwork etched on anodised aluminium display plaques), though I think mine are Type 1 anodising (the softer, decorative type). Regardless, 30w should be more than enough, really it only takes 12-15w to bleach the colour out of the surface.

No exhaust system is necessary. It does make a bit of a smell, but it's not bad. I run mine in a bedroom in my rented house with no issues, just open a window if necessary. I don't use air assist either because it's noisy and not really necessary.

In the end I upgraded to a Speedy 100 as I realised I was going to be the only person with one of these machines on the island I live on, and decided to make the most of that captive market.
    Trotec Speed 400 120W | JobControl 10.6 | Atmos Duo | Adobe Illustrator CC | CorelDraw X8

Blog Entries
    Epilog Zing 16, ULS VLS series (the VLS2.30, for example, is quite small), or the Trotec Rayjet 50. All good machines, all relatively small footprint.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

The Rayjet could be a possibility depending upon how much wiggle room the dealer has. Looks like the 30 watt (no air assist) is around $10k and the 25 watt is $9k.

The VLS model appears to be out of my price range, at least in the 30 watt model ($12k+).

Granted all of this pricing is MSRP so I'm sure there are deals to be had on occasion, but discounting $4k seems unrealistic. I could see coming down $1k+ though. I really have no idea what kind of markup is baked into these machines.

I would like to attend a show to compare look/feel of different units and possibly snag reduced show pricing, but the closest event to me has been Atlanta which is a 16 hr drive round trip. Anyone know of Florida shows that attract the major laser brands?

There is an NBM show in Orlando but not until Feb. https://thenbmshow.com/orlando-2015

This is from Trotec's site. http://www.troteclaser.com/en-US-US/...-Calendar.aspx

You can probably find the schedule on the ULS and Epilog sites as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Dave,

Before you make your final decision, I would recommend that you give Ray Scott at Rabbit Lasers a call. I know he stocks a reasonably small 30w laser and the price is less than $5000 not including freight. It is a Chinese machine, but it should serve your needs well. It will fit on a small table and the chiller can be placed underneath. Ray has an excellent reputation for great service (by the way, I do not know Ray and I am not compensated for recommending him).
    Pete James
    Awardmasters
    40W G Weike

Many thanks Mike! That NBM show would be perfect. I'm in no rush, so no worries there.

Gives me more time to save my pennies!

Thanks for the suggestion Pete.

I have taken a look at Ray's site and from reading other posts here it appears he offers first-rate service. Unfortunately, that machine is just too big for my location (40.5Tall x 27.9Deep x 37.0Wide, 209 lbs) vs. the Zing 16 (28.75" x 22.125” x 11.75”, 95lbs).

I would carefully work out how many you forecast on selling, if you can find some one to engrave them a around $2-3 each your going to need to do a lot to ever recover your initial outlay, also although these machines are very reliable, none of them last for ever and do come with running costs plus the physical time to run the bits , maybe find someone with a YAG, or Fiber machine in the local area and do a deal and see how it pans out. To be fair all the machines you mentioned here hold their price pretty well so getting a big chunk of cash back is not difficult.
    Generally UK pricing for service is higher than the USA and we would charge you around $35 for up to about 25 parts, so 1 is expensive, 20 not so much, so hopefully you can find someone near you. They shouldn't take long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1nKzF2w3Tg
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Blog Entries
    Would you need a chiller at all? I mean if you are only marking 15-20 parts in batches, its likely you wouldn't even warm up the water let alone need a chiller.

I have played all day on a weekend or two cutting ply and playing with engraving wood and glass and I don't own a chiller. Mine is in a basement (cool by default) and the water scarcely got to lukewarm. If you are in an office, I assume yours is going to be air conditioned and cool by default. I run the typical cheapo Home Depot bucket with distilled water and a fountain pump. I probably should get a temp gauge but I haven't seen the need for the expense with it not even getting into the luke warm stage from basement room temp over a whole day cutting and engraving. But, I only own a 50w chinese unit. I would assume larger power units would need one sooner than mine would.

Last night I marked 15 annodized (no clue of the type, bought them at the dollar store) water bottles with a school logo for my granddaughter to take to her volleyball team at school. The water was still cold at the end of the batch. I couldn't tell if it had warmed at all nor it. If it had it was by so little it was not noticeable. The logo area was about 2" x 3".

After the bottles, I also spent about an hour putzing around cutting 3mm ply to make some jigs. Again, the water temp increase from start to end was not perceptible.

Hopefully one of the experienced users here will chime in on the thought of needing or not needing a chiller re your volume level.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

I might catch a few arrows, but you might consider the Full Spectrum 5th Gen. It is a no-frills, simple machine that works well on aluminum and is around the size you are considering. They are designed and assembled in the U.S. and have proprietary software that is pretty good and easy to use. You can simply print from your choice of design software.

The engraving speed will be slower, but you mentioned that engraving speed is not really a concern and you will only produce 10-30 pieces at a time. The parts are an OK quality to bring this in at its price point, but outside of replacing a tube or power supply, it should be pretty trouble-free to use well below its limitations. Support is good and they are responsive and, in my experience, helpful in honoring their warranty if you need to take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Demaree View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

The Rayjet could be a possibility depending upon how much wiggle room the dealer has. Looks like the 30 watt (no air assist) is around $10k and the 25 watt is $9k.

The VLS model appears to be out of my price range, at least in the 30 watt model ($12k+).

Granted all of this pricing is MSRP so I'm sure there are deals to be had on occasion, but discounting $4k seems unrealistic. I could see coming down $1k+ though. I really have no idea what kind of markup is baked into these machines.

I would like to attend a show to compare look/feel of different units and possibly snag reduced show pricing, but the closest event to me has been Atlanta which is a 16 hr drive round trip. Anyone know of Florida shows that attract the major laser brands?
    I can get you a VLS 2.30 30 watt for less than 10k shipped. They are workhorse machines. I just serviced one at a medical university that was one of the early editions of it ran for 10 years without any servicing and the laser tube was still putting out 34 watts. Apparently the students had never really cleaned it out so it had ten years of plastic bits and pieces in there causing the z table screws to clog up among other things. New optics, belts, bearings, alignment, driver updates, and cleaning brought it cutting the same as a new one.

Semi-biased opinion here- the base price I paid for my rather large 1300x900 Triumph was less than 3 grand, and that was with the chiller, blower and air pump. It's engraves anodized better than my ULS or LS900, much 'whiter' mark. (I don't even engrave anodized in the ULS because it's brightest mark isn't white enough for me.) I've had no issues with engraving quality down to very small characters and graphics. Yes, there's a learning curve and much tweaking to get the quality at its best but once zeroed in, it's all good. There are many 'small footprint' Chinese lasers available, and for the narrow scope of work you're looking to accomplish, I think it would be a mistake NOT to seriously consider a Chinese alternative. I've bought 3 machines in the past 18 months, I still have 2 years of payments on my IS400, and 3-1/2 years on the IS7000. I paid cash for the Triumph last November, and it's paid for itself at least twice over already. My IS400 has covered it's cost in 2 years, the IS7000 has quite a few jobs to go to catch up.

And a side note- I've noticed Chinese lasers sold in the US are marked up 200 to 300% from what I paid ordering direct, including all costs to get it here. The tradeoff is, I have no US support, but so far I haven't needed any. I have had Triumph custom make me a few lens tubes and ordered some lenses. No problems, just a quick email and done.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    I would carefully work out how many you forecast on selling, if you can find some one to engrave them a around $2-3 each your going to need to do a lot to ever recover your initial outlay,
    You're probably correct Matthew. It would take a very long time to recoup my costs. That said, I'm not against viewing this as a purchase instead of an investment. Something cool to add to my "tool" collection so to speak. It is a very good point though.

I have not completely dismissed outsourcing and will poke around my local shops to see what the going rate for something like this would be.