Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser suggestions (anodized aluminum)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    There are many 'small footprint' Chinese lasers available, and for the narrow scope of work you're looking to accomplish, I think it would be a mistake NOT to seriously consider a Chinese alternative
    Thanks for the insight Kev. One of the things that scares me about the Chinese lasers is the fudge factor, ie how much I'm gonna have to fudge with the thing to get it to work correctly. My time is extremely limited, so I really need something that just works right out of the box. Probably another reason to push toward outsourcing instead of bringing this work in house, but sometimes I can be a glutton for punishment!

The FSL laser another poster mentioned is the right size, but there is still the pesky chiller requirement. I've not gave much thought to FSL due to the somewhat spotty reputation they've earned here though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Demaree View Post
    The FSL laser another poster mentioned is the right size, but there is still the pesky chiller requirement. I've not gave much thought to FSL due to the somewhat spotty reputation they've earned here though.
    If you ever decide a Chinese laser is your best bet, go with Rabbit, not FSL...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Mike, it's not so much needing a chiller that's the issue, but just the extra space required even for a bucket & pump. While you may not need a chiller, I assume these machines can't be operated dry, and still require some way to circulate water through them, correct?

I've looked on Ebay and found some relatively small chillers for computers and such, so I suppose I could make it work.

Buy a 'tool' that makes you money, if you can find anyone in your area you always have the option of using the machine for other people, that way you may recoup the money much quicker.
    All the best
    Matt
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

My personal opinion is to contact a local engraver and make a relationship with them. Have them engrave the items for you for now. Do the layout for them. Make their life easy. It's a learning process for you as well. Search the used laser market. If you find something worth buying, buy it.

Assuming 10 pcs a week over a 52 week year at a cost of out sourcing of $10 each, you're looking at $5200 for the year. That should be able to cover a used 30W western machine.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Mike,
    If you are using a bucket and pump setup, just get a couple of plastic quart (or so) water jugs and pop them in the freezer. When you are ready to use the machine, grab one and put it in the bucket. Just in case the cap or bottle rupture due to freezing it is best to fill them with distilled water also.
    Pete James
    Awardmasters
    40W G Weike

I would highly suggest a fiber laser for your parts. If they are small then you could get away with the smaller working area that you get with a fiber. You really gain an advantage in speed over CO2, I can do anodized parts in about 10% of the time with my fiber than I can with the CO2 and the image is sharper and brighter. Mine ran about $13k including the laser, an extra lens, shipping, customs, duties, etc. That's more than your budget but, trust me, it will pay off if you try to find a bit of work for it. It is so much more versatile than CO2 and can open many markets that are either not possible or not practical with CO2. If that won't work then I'd suggest jobbing it out - 10-30 parts are not a problem and I'd be happy to tackle them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Demaree View Post
    ...The FSL laser another poster mentioned is the right size, but there is still the pesky chiller requirement. I've not gave much thought to FSL due to the somewhat spotty reputation they've earned here though.
    You probably won't need a chiller, but you would have to put a 5 gallon bucket nearby.

FSL ruffled some feathers and took their lumps here and elsewhere as they learned to developed through some growing pains. I'm not sure, but I think most of the hubbub was couple or few years ago and often gets repeated. They might be past that point now -- or not.

I read through a recent thread about a reseller that was respected here and well thought of. Unfortunately, the company fell on hard times and burned some customers for large sums of money and now suffer a poor reputation. Conversely, there have been a few car makers that were once considered to make products that weren't very good but are now well-respected and produce quality cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I would highly suggest a fiber laser for your parts. If they are small then you could get away with the smaller working area that you get with a fiber. You really gain an advantage in speed over CO2, I can do anodized parts in about 10% of the time with my fiber than I can with the CO2 and the image is sharper and brighter. Mine ran about $13k including the laser, an extra lens, shipping, customs, duties, etc. That's more than your budget but, trust me, it will pay off if you try to find a bit of work for it. It is so much more versatile than CO2 and can open many markets that are either not possible or not practical with CO2. If that won't work then I'd suggest jobbing it out - 10-30 parts are not a problem and I'd be happy to tackle them for you.
    A fiber is faster how? We run anodized aluminum at 100% speed. A fiber source wouldn't change that at all. If you're talking a Galvo fiber, then I'd also disagree to some degree. We run a lot of anodized parts for a customer and with the fixtures we have, it takes 5 seconds each to engrave them. I can do 40 of them about 3 1/2 minutes. In those 3 1/2 minutes, I can unload and load another fixture.

With a smaller table, like on a Galvo, I'd have to run smaller batches and I'm not convinced it would save me anything on this job. In fact, I'm almost positive it would require more time because of all the smaller batch sizes.

However, that's a very specific job, and I know there are certainly shapes and sizes of engraving that would go much faster on the Galvo.

Are you saying you got a Galvo Fiber laser for $13K?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    FSL ruffled some feathers and took their lumps here and elsewhere as they learned to developed through some growing pains. I'm not sure, but I think most of the hubbub was couple or few years ago and often gets repeated. They might be past that point now -- or not.

I read through a recent thread about a reseller that was respected here and well thought of. Unfortunately, the company fell on hard times and burned some customers for large sums of money and now suffer a poor reputation. Conversely, there have been a few car makers that were once considered to make products that weren't very good but are now well-respected and produce quality cars.
    The owner is who ruffled all of those feathers... from his "I'll do what I want to and you can't stop me" attitude here and towards Keith (forum owner) to the way he left multiple system purchasers hanging in the wind when the machine didn't operate as advertised. Still the same company owner, no matter how many FSL-specific forums he creates, and if that's how he runs a company, I want no part of it (and I'm not about to suggest anyone else take a chance on it, either).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Matt

It won't be my money financing their second chance.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I am currently running an anodized flashlight job which has about 50 characters on three lines of 6.5 point Arial. They take 7 seconds. I'm running them in a single jig with the lid up.

That's pretty fast.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    A fiber is faster how?</quote>
    It just is... I have jobs that run about 10% of the time on my fiber vs CO2. Yes, it's a galvo and that makes all the difference. A gantry fiber wouldn't be much of an improvement in time and the mark isn't much better than CO2.

<quote>If you're talking a Galvo fiber, then I'd also disagree to some degree. We run a lot of anodized parts for a customer and with the fixtures we have, it takes 5 seconds each to engrave them. I can do 40 of them about 3 1/2 minutes. In those 3 1/2 minutes, I can unload and load another fixture.

With a smaller table, like on a Galvo, I'd have to run smaller batches and I'm not convinced it would save me anything on this job. In fact, I'm almost positive it would require more time because of all the smaller batch sizes.

However, that's a very specific job, and I know there are certainly shapes and sizes of engraving that would go much faster on the Galvo.</quote>
    You are talking about workflow not laser time.

<quote>Are you saying you got a Galvo Fiber laser for $13K?
    Yes. It's a 30 watt, galvo, two lenses, rotary fixture, computer, software, shipping, customs, duties, everything, just under $13K Obviously not American made but for the $30K difference in price I was willing to take a chance - a chance that has paid off quite well!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I am currently running an anodized flashlight job which has about 50 characters on three lines of 6.5 point Arial. They take 7 seconds. I'm running them in a single jig with the lid up.

That's pretty fast.
    The fiber would be less than 2 seconds for that job Mike. I'd make a fixture with Lego's and hopefully hold several at a time.

Gary

Keep us posted on your results and capabilities with your new fiber machine. I do turn down some work for lack of one.

This flashlight job is a one time only and not worth a multiple jig in my opinion; though it is 250 pieces.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7