Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Italian Invasion...... My New Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    The "pork chop" guard is annoying at best. You might want to upgrade to the euro style guard. I did and then eventually removed it as well! LOL

Yeah, all these machines will require you to supply your own cord. They have no idea what kind of plug you might need. It is kind of like stoves...supply your own cord.
    Hi Chris, have you looked at OSHA requirements for jointer guards?

They require the spring loaded "pork chop" style in the USA, the bridge guard doesn't appear to be legal in the USA?

Regards, Rod.

Congrat's on the new machines! it should be very exciting to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Chris, have you looked at OSHA requirements for jointer guards?

They require the spring loaded "pork chop" style in the USA, the bridge guard doesn't appear to be legal in the USA?

Regards, Rod.
    that interesting Rod. Has the american surty bridge guard been outlawed?

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...l.aspx?id=1682

jack
    English machines

Hi Rod,

That is what a MiniMax sales person told me. Euro-type guards are not OSHA approved and that's why MiniMax is using the pork chop. So, I assume if I run a pro-shop and one of the employees gets hurt, I (or the company) may get into a trouble.
    I personally don't like to constantly fight against the pork chop while I'm pushing a board and much prefer the euro guard.

By the way, in the other day, I was face jointing 10-inch boards and now I don't know how I can live without A331, but I guess once I have a 16-inch jointer, I would feel the same....

Sorry Beau that I'm jacking your thread. We are anxiously waiting for your update

Quote Originally Posted by Susumu Mori View Post
    ...That is what a MiniMax sales person told me. Euro-type guards are not OSHA approved and that's why MiniMax is using the pork chop.
    I asked one of the trade unit managers once why every other mfr. of jointer/planer supplies the Euro-bridge guard as standard if it's not OSHA approved. His response to me was, "Probably because they haven't been sued yet...".

For folks who want the bridge guard for an MM product, it's available from the parts department as an accessory. It just can't be shipped installed on the machine. At least not in the US.

Here is the OSHA conformity requirement in case anyone is curious...

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/woo.../jointers.html

"...with an automatic (spring-loaded, self-enclosing) guard that exposes the cutter head only when the stock is being fed. The guard must automatically adjust to cover the unused portion of the head, and it must remain in contact with the material at all times..."

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    Last edited by Erik Loza; 08-26-2014 at 5:05 PM. Reason: added link...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I asked one of the trade unit managers once why every other mfr. of jointer/planer supplies the Euro-bridge guard as standard if it's not OSHA approved. His response to me was, "Probably because they haven't been sued yet...".

For folks who want the bridge guard for an MM product, it's available from the parts department as an accessory. It just can't be shipped installed on the machine. At least not in the US.

Here is the OSHA conformity requirement in case anyone is curious...

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/woo.../jointers.html

"...with an automatic (spring-loaded, self-enclosing) guard that exposes the cutter head only when the stock is being fed. The guard must automatically adjust to cover the unused portion of the head, and it must remain in contact with the material at all times..."

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    All i can say is the pork chop is never on a EU machine because it does not meet the regs. i have both types and like the pork chop for small jointer and the bridge for larger jointers. it gets a little old walking around a 26" pork chop looks like the Surty bridge is compliant with the US regs as is the Swiss made suvamatic though the american would not spend that much on a guard to hang on the wall

Last edited by jack forsberg; 08-26-2014 at 6:57 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Hang on the wall?! That real estate is too valuable! Mine is on top of cabinet gathering sawdust for the last 8 years.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I wish there was a US dealer for Suva products. They make some awesome stuff.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Hang on the wall?! That real estate is too valuable! Mine is on top of cabinet gathering sawdust for the last 8 years.
    I was kind enough to post a vid of and Oliver and not a Martin thought
    jack
    English machines

As Jack points out, OSHA doesn't specifically require a porkchop swing away guard. The reason for the rule is to avoid the possibility of having an exposed cutterhead, either during operation as wood moves through, or because the fence is moved backwards and the guard does not automatically follow it.
    JR

By the way, in the other day, I was face jointing 10-inch boards and now I don't know how I can live without A331, but I guess once I have a 16-inch jointer, I would feel the same....

Sorry Beau that I'm jacking your thread. We are anxiously waiting for your update
    You are not hijacking at all. I debated for months on size then decided I am only gonna do it once so get the biggest thing reasonable. I really hate buying things twice. So far the wife has been pretty cool about things. I am fairly sure she has seen the bill. She is usually very supportive of things I like to do. She actually told me one time to buy a particular rare rifle I was debating over. Can't get much better than that!

I have the bandsaw uncrated and the wheels on the back. I spent this evening taking my time to put the wheels on the J/P and get it off the pallet. It was fun putting the wheels on! Everything on the J/P is unwrapped. The fence is equally as impressive as everything else. Won't get to do anything else until friday at the minimum.

Hi Rod,

That is what a MiniMax sales person told me. Euro-type guards are not OSHA approved and that's why MiniMax is using the pork chop. So, I assume if I run a pro-shop and one of the employees gets hurt, I (or the company) may get into a trouble.
    I personally don't like to constantly fight against the pork chop while I'm pushing a board and much prefer the euro guard.

Hi, I was surprised to find out that the spring loaded guard was the only approved type.

Personally I like the bridge guard on larger jointers.

When I went from an 8 inch jointer to the 12 inch A3, it was great. I really don't have a use for a 16 or 20 inch machine............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    that interesting Rod. Has the american surty bridge guard been outlawed?

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...l.aspx?id=1682

Jack, if it automatically retracts to cover the cutter once the wood is clear, I would expect it would meet requirements. I shouldn't have indicated that the pork chop type is required, I meant to indicate that it was like the pork chop guard.......Rod.

P.S. The SUVA guard would be fine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    As Jack points out, OSHA doesn't specifically require a porkchop swing away guard. The reason for the rule is to avoid the possibility of having an exposed cutterhead, either during operation as wood moves through, or because the fence is moved backwards and the guard does not automatically follow it.
    Thanks JR, I hadn't meant to indicate that the pork chop guard was required, I should have stated that it needed to function like a pork chop guard......Rod.